Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11 Jul 2009, 11:33

Inner Border on Textarea (Quick Reply and Reply)

I've been customizing things for my forum, but I can't find where to customize this inner border on the textarea where you type in a message. You can set the textarea border to 1 pixel, but it doesn't change this inner padded wall. I can't find it in any style. I'm including a screenshot of this. Does anybody know where I can remove that padded border? Or at least change the color of it. When I go with a dark forum, it stays the same color as in the attached screenshot.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm using VB 3.7.0
Attached Images
File Type: gif innerborder.gif (18.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 11 Jul 2009, 13:55

It isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it 'll probably help you out: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=197406

Edit: the class you're looking for is called .vBulletin_editor
It's most likely somewhere in the templates or hardcoded in the files.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 17:00

I've found a bit of a solution. I've not fixed the colors on the buttons, but I've achieved the look I was after.

First, I edited "Main CSS" to set the textarea to have a 1 px solid black border.

The CSS definitions for the editor was found in this template:

editor_css

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Next, I removed old controlbar references and applied the new CSS classes above. Two templates need to be changed for this.

The quick reply template modification:

showthread_quickreply

The advanced reply template:

editor_toolbar_on

I didn't highlight the text that I've changed. I'm new to posting here, so I didn't keep track of changes. :-) Anybody trying to apply these changes should carefully compare templates before submitting changes on their forum.

I've only tested posting a quick reply and an advanced reply. Both worked, but additional testing may prove otherwise, so keep that in mind, please.

Screenshots of the new look included. My advanced textarea and icons were never lined up in the original forum, so it is what it is. I've not had the smilies-box enabled either, and I there is a reference to it in a template, so anybody using it might want to revise and post the new template changes here.

Colors aren't what they should be. Design is painstaking for somebody that's not a designer. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: gif quickreply.gif (6.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: gif advancedreply.gif (14.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 11 Jul 2009, 17:01

Originally Posted by Taragon View Post
It isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it 'll probably help you out: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=197406

Edit: the class you're looking for is called .vBulletin_editor
It's most likely somewhere in the templates or hardcoded in the files.
Thanks, your reply got me digging and put me on the right track! :-)

--------------- Added 11 Jul 2009 at 19:58 ---------------

Looking at private messaging, I see there's some error. I'll see if I can work it out. Just a warning.

Last edited by sebaot; 11 Jul 2009 at 19:58. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Old 11 Jul 2009, 20:25

Nice work!

May I suggest the use of Firefox, the plugin CSSViewer, and Firebug. It'll be a real time saver identifying things sometimes needed.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 20:57

I'm running FireFox, so I'll be getting those plugins! I see that for new thread and private messaging, it uses a different layout for the messaging, so it looks messed up. I'm gonna be looking at these. Well, I am looking at them but not on friendly terms. LOL.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 00:10

If I remember correctly, I edited the /clientscript/vbulletin_editor.css file. That way in one sweep I can customize all of the templates. As for the buttons I edited the Toolbar Menu Options in the Admin Panel.

Old 12 Jul 2009, 16:38

I know I started out with overriding the controlbox (or what it's called) CSS definitions in that file, but for some reason, I went with the different solution. I'm not sure what prompted me to do it, but I think I didn't get the desired results. However, I just made changes as I went, so I could very well have overlooked something.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 21:27

If you use the templates and not the CSS file, another option to consider instead of replacing the class name (controlbar) is to override the codes by adding "!important" at the end of each variable you want to change in the CSS definitions such as:

Original vbulletin_editor.css file:

In your template "editor_css" apply this code to override the original (vbulletin_editor.css):

This way you'll keep the class definitions consistent, do not need to change the other templates and it makes change easier in the future.

Old 13 Jul 2009, 03:05

Awesome on the !important attribute. However, when I make changes to remove padding and border on controlbar, it spans the textarea over the containing area to the right by a few pixels. Visually, that is, it becomes inconsistent. It could be semantically correct, but something's off. I override vBulletin_editor with the same, and it still happens. It looks like in the showthread quick reply template, the container with the controlbar class has a hardcoded padding-right of 8 pixels for some reason.

I am including screenshots of what I mean. The blue border is vbulletin_editor, red is controlbar, and green is textarea.

Attached Images
File Type: gif quickreply_left.gif (5.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: gif quickreply_right.gif (6.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 16 Jul 2009, 00:21

Hm, I like to be nearly if not exact too. I haven't actually gotten around to test it. I could experiment a bit to see why it's doing that.

Old 20 Jul 2009, 23:56

Absolutely, if it can't be made exact, it shouldn't be made at all. I get mental tics when I see small issues like that, knowing it'll have to be fixed sooner or later. LOL
Old 21 Jul 2009, 05:43

3.8.3 has changed a little since I remember. I remember not liking how Firefox displayed the textarea within the editor (use of border inset). So I edited the file /clientscript/vbulletin_textedit.js. The structure of the js file has changed but I managed to find what I was looking for. I looked at two areas where inset was found and changed them to (in 3.8.3):

Since you're using 3.7 the structures should be:

When I add "display:none" to the class .controlbar the entire textarea is removed. When I simply removed the .controlbar I came out with the attachment below. It's probably not what you're looking for. However, it displays the same in IE and Firefox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vb_quickreply.jpg (7.8 KB, 13 views)