Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 17 Jul 2007, 14:29
mihai11 mihai11 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I want to learn to develop a plugin where should I start ?

Basically I need to understand how to use hooks ASAP. Any hints are appreciated.



Regards,
Razvan M.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17 Jul 2007, 14:29
EnIgMa1234 EnIgMa1234 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Real name: David
Take a look through these
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17 Jul 2007, 15:25
King Kovifor's Avatar
King Kovifor King Kovifor is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Real name: Jeremy
mihai11,

First you need to know PHP to develop plugins. There are several PHP resources out there, including:

http://www.php.net
http://www.w3schools.com

There are many more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. A google search could help you a lot.

The next step would be to read the forum EnIgMa1234 has linked to. Specifically the following threads:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82923 (you should start here)
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82625 (Writing)
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92953 (Managing Products)
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82882 (who's online setup)
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119933 (templates)

After you write your plugin, you may advance your skills within vBulletin by learning the vBulletin classes and functions. You may find these here:

http://members.vbulletin.com/api/

Also, if the API's explanation doesn't help you, try reading this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98009

If you plugin doesn't work, you may want to read this thread about debugging it:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151288

If you work with custom templates, be sure to cache them. Instructions can be found here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104532
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

Do not request support through any other means except the forums.

Useful Post With Links on Learning How To Develop vBulletin Plugins

Latest Modification: Stop Forum Spam Integration

Last edited by King Kovifor; 17 Jul 2007 at 15:30.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17 Jul 2007, 16:07
mihai11 mihai11 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Originally Posted by King Kovifor View Post
mihai11,

First you need to know PHP to develop plugins. There are several PHP resources out there, including:

http://www.php.net
http://www.w3schools.com

There are many more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. A google search could help you a lot.

The next step would be to read the forum EnIgMa1234 has linked to. Specifically the following threads:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82923 (you should start here)
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82625 (Writing)
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92953 (Managing Products)
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82882 (who's online setup)
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119933 (templates)

After you write your plugin, you may advance your skills within vBulletin by learning the vBulletin classes and functions. You may find these here:

http://members.vbulletin.com/api/

Also, if the API's explanation doesn't help you, try reading this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98009

If you plugin doesn't work, you may want to read this thread about debugging it:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151288

If you work with custom templates, be sure to cache them. Instructions can be found here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104532

Super ! I already know PHP. I have several years of experience with it. What I want to learn ASAP is the VB plugin system. The resources that you provided are just great. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18 Jul 2007, 00:38
King Kovifor's Avatar
King Kovifor King Kovifor is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Real name: Jeremy
Originally Posted by mihai11 View Post
Super ! I already know PHP. I have several years of experience with it. What I want to learn ASAP is the VB plugin system. The resources that you provided are just great. Thank you.
Your welcome. All of them are here on VB.org.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

Do not request support through any other means except the forums.

Useful Post With Links on Learning How To Develop vBulletin Plugins

Latest Modification: Stop Forum Spam Integration
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18 Jul 2007, 09:38
EnIgMa1234 EnIgMa1234 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Real name: David
Also if something goes wrong, there are a lot of people here to help
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18 Jul 2007, 14:47
King Kovifor's Avatar
King Kovifor King Kovifor is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Real name: Jeremy
Originally Posted by EnIgMa1234 View Post
Also if something goes wrong, there are a lot of people here to help
True. But I usually screw myself up half the time when I'm trying to solve a problem.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

Do not request support through any other means except the forums.

Useful Post With Links on Learning How To Develop vBulletin Plugins

Latest Modification: Stop Forum Spam Integration
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18 Jul 2007, 16:04
EnIgMa1234 EnIgMa1234 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Real name: David
Don't we all
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:46.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: