Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Multiple account login detector (AE Detector) Details »
Multiple account login detector (AE Detector)
Developer Last Online: Dec 2016 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 3.7.1 Rating: (94 votes - 4.84 average) Installs: 1444
Released: 23 Jun 2008 Last Update: Never Downloads: 5740
Not Supported Uses Plugins Re-usable Code Translations  

Mod of the Month winner!
Top 10 most installed mods for vB3.6!

Same plug-in found here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125871

There are no differences as this plug-in works with the 3.5, 3.6 or 3.7 releases of vBulletin.

If you are like me and migrated from .threads, a common modification was an "AE detector", a simple mod that saved a cookie of a history of ids logged into on your site. If someone logged into more than one account, you got a PM letting you know that your site was being accessed from multiple accounts.

Over the years this was very helpful in identifying users who were posting under multiple accounts (alter-egos!) and users who would return after being banned.

You might be wondering why I don't use the vbcookie call - well, thats because on logout all vB cookies are cleared, so we need to store a cookie that is not effected by the login/logout process.

New Installation
1. Add New Product with attached XML
2. Go to vBulletin Options -> AE Multiple Login Detection Settings and set your specific settings.

Time to install: Easy - 2 minutes.

Upgrade
If you installed this as a Plug-in manually, you can delete that plugin and install this Product, just make sure to go into the Options and set them accordingly.

I hope you find this useful and will click INSTALL if you use it; should it prove useful to enough people I can look at making this installation more automated without the need for edits and an Admin Options page.

To upgrade you will want to reimport this XML file and edit your options accordingly.

-----
. Added a check to ensure that users weren't deleted when reporting violations
. added htmlspecialchars_uni call to username

Note: I am unable to get the call to construct_phrase with $vbphrase['multiplelogin_alert'] to work reliably, as such the $message variable is still set manually inside the plug-in and not via the phrase. If anyone has an idea of why this might not always work, I'm all ears.

-----
. Updated to include exclusion groups, users
. Changed so PM is sent by ae sender id

-----
. Released as a Product (thank you PHPGeek2k3 for your help)
. Added option to post to a forum versus send a PM (or both)
. All settings moved into Admin Option

-----
Initial release.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Administrative and Maintenance Tools Multiple account login detector (AE Detector) MPDev vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons 598 25 Nov 2013 02:28
Multiple account login detector (AE Detector) MPDev vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 482 09 Jun 2012 14:26

Old 03 Dec 2010, 04:12

Originally Posted by meeja View Post
This has been an amazing modification that's been of huge benefit to ensuring quality in my community.

I wonder if I could suggest a tiny modification/addition - that perhaps a means of recording the useragent for each login by a user, that way you could also have a means of detecting multiple logins by users who clear their cookies but still use the same browser.

It might be a tall order, but if you yourself (or someone else) thought of doing this for vb4, I for one would be more than happy to throw some dollars into the pot.
Everyone who uses 1 version of 1 browser will have the same user agent- how could that help in detecting AE's? There's only a handful of popular user agents out there and millions of people with each.

Now Evercookies on the other hand would be a big help... (I saw someone post this in another thread and it would be a great addition to this mod.)

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Old 06 Dec 2010, 17:26

Hmm , could be issue with this in 4.1 , found 8 members today with all the same ip address , one one warning from this . Its been great up until now but could be the end
Old 07 Dec 2010, 18:03

Excellent mod.

I noticed that I can register many users from the same Ip without being caught by the system.

Technically I am actually logged in with each user from the same ip in the registration process.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 20:11

Will we get an update for 4.1?
Old 21 Dec 2010, 20:30

It works fine with 4.1.0 PL2.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 13:16

Originally Posted by Boofo View Post
It works fine with 4.1.0 PL2.
Works great for me too.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 14:26

stopped working for me back on 4.0.6, something in the coding that may need to be looked at to bring it back in play?
Old 27 Jan 2011, 12:44

Works somehow in v4.1.0 PL2... Notification via PN does work but automatic postings do not work. I wonder how to fix that...

Edit: Fixed, works flawlessly now. Spam-O-Matic considered the automatically generated threads to be spam.

Last edited by aileron79; 28 Jan 2011 at 05:32.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 11:14

Just upgraded from vB 3.8 to vB 4.1.2.

Before the upgrade, I disabled all plugins/mods. When I was finished with the upgrade, I merely turned this one back on. It works fine - no probs at all.

Wish it was as simple as the other kagillion mods I have to re-install
Old 27 Mar 2011, 20:38

This works just fine in v4.1.0 PL2.

Thanks
Old 28 Mar 2011, 07:19

Works on 4.1.2, just remember to disable the PM message feature and only use the topic posts option as some have said that the PM stuff no longer works in vB4.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 01:32

I've got it installed on 4.1.2 but I can't get it to post a thread in the private forum I'm indicating.

I've had a user who I've confirmed is using the same IP address register twice but no thread is created and no notification of any kind is sent.

Any ideas?
Old 29 Mar 2011, 02:39

Originally Posted by It's Damn Real! View Post
I've had a user who I've confirmed is using the same IP address register twice but no thread is created and no notification of any kind is sent.
This is not an easy mod to test since it deals with cookies, which are handled differently on different systems and in different browsers. Your simple test above - simply using the same IP address - is not at all what this mod is meant to do. Rather, it tries to trip when someone uses the same computer and same browser with two different logins, but it should still trip even if they were on different IP addys.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 02:53

To test it, make clone yourself. You need to use same browser on same computer.

Also, check that you as admin isn't in protected usergroup so you can be detected. And then you'll see if it detects you or not. Check all settings and understand what each means.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 03:12

Originally Posted by Videx View Post
This is not an easy mod to test since it deals with cookies, which are handled differently on different systems and in different browsers. Your simple test above - simply using the same IP address - is not at all what this mod is meant to do. Rather, it tries to trip when someone uses the same computer and same browser with two different logins, but it should still trip even if they were on different IP addys.
Understood. Thanks.