Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Force Users to Read a Thread Details »
Force Users to Read a Thread
Developer Last Online: Jun 2010 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.6.x Rating: (69 votes - 4.68 average) Installs: 1019
Released: 09 Jul 2007 Last Update: 05 Mar 2008 Downloads: 4644
Not Supported DB Changes Uses Plugins Additional Files  

vB 3.7 version of this hack here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=172155

Force Users to Read a Thread 2.0

About this hack:
This hack allows you to set a thread as 'must read' by your members. Right now, if you make a post and want all your members to read it, you have no way of enforcing it. This hack will give an error message similar to the one you get when you need to change you password, saying that the admins want you to read a certain thread before they continue using the forum.

Once a user reads a thread, they wont be bugged to read it again.

You can set all usergroups or just certain onces that must read a thread.

You can set to site wide or just some forums.

Option to Force Guests

This hack added one query to every page on your forum a member goes to.
  • Files edited: 0
  • Templates edited: 0
  • Files to upload: 2 (1 via ACP, 2 via FTP)
  • Time to install: 1 minute
Updates:

Version 2.0 (03/05/08):
  • First Release of this Hack for vb3.7
  • MAJOR update. Hack totally re-writen. You must uninstall old version before upgrading.
  • Fixed just about all bugs. (like if you delete a thread...)
  • No more template edit. Everything done in ACP.
  • Permissions for by who ever has ACP access with threads and posts
  • Force Guests to read a thread now.
  • Works for BOTH vb3.6 AND vb3.7
Please post your comments or suggestions for this hack. I read ALL posts.

MAKE SURE YOU CLICK INSTALL!
You will get an email when a new version is released.

Pictures:
  • The error message.
  • The universal options.
  • Where you go to set the settings.
  • The list of forums that have force read settings.
  • The edit/add screen.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	6070
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	66717   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1391
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	76760   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	908
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	76761   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1482
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	76762  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1319
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	76763  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Moderators Functions Force Users to Read a Thread Abe1 vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 422 04 Dec 2015 15:08

Old 11 May 2008, 06:36

Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
Sorry, I haven't seen if it is possible to 'fix' this... if a member is in the middle of submitting a new post when you mark a thread as a Forced Read one, if they preview their post it will force them to read the thread.

To go along with that, if someone Submits a new post at that time, they are forced to read the thread and their post is not actually submitted.

I preferred the "areas" instead of forums (i.e. UserCP, Index, etc).
You can globally turn it off for the newreply and newthread pages.

Active Link Security 3.0.X | Add Title to Rank Images 3.5.X | Admin Log In As User 3.5.X 3.6.X | Advanced BBCode Permissions 3.5.X 3.6.X | Can't See Attachments Before Thanking a Post 3.5.X | Can't Thank and Groan the Same Post 3.5.X | Delete Post when Giving Infraction 3.6.X | Edit New Thread Button 3.5.X | External Data Provider Usergroup Permissions Setting 3.5.X | Forms Hack 3.5.X, 3.6.X | Log Logins Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Moderator Statistics 3.5.X | Post Award Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X | [AJAX] Post Thank You Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X 3.6.X | [AJAX] Post Groan Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Post Thank You Hack Stats for vBadvanced CMPS 2.x 3.5.X | Search Title only in search drop-down 3.5.X, 3.6.X | 'vBMenu' DHTML User Option 3.5.X 3.6.X | vBShout on all pages! 3.5.X
Old 11 May 2008, 06:36

Originally Posted by kira View Post
This is a great idea for a mod, thank you! Unfortunately I'm running into the problem where people are being forced to read a thread even though they've already read it. Where is the option to show people this notice only once?
I dont have a clue.

Are they guest or regular users?

Active Link Security 3.0.X | Add Title to Rank Images 3.5.X | Admin Log In As User 3.5.X 3.6.X | Advanced BBCode Permissions 3.5.X 3.6.X | Can't See Attachments Before Thanking a Post 3.5.X | Can't Thank and Groan the Same Post 3.5.X | Delete Post when Giving Infraction 3.6.X | Edit New Thread Button 3.5.X | External Data Provider Usergroup Permissions Setting 3.5.X | Forms Hack 3.5.X, 3.6.X | Log Logins Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Moderator Statistics 3.5.X | Post Award Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X | [AJAX] Post Thank You Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X 3.6.X | [AJAX] Post Groan Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Post Thank You Hack Stats for vBadvanced CMPS 2.x 3.5.X | Search Title only in search drop-down 3.5.X, 3.6.X | 'vBMenu' DHTML User Option 3.5.X 3.6.X | vBShout on all pages! 3.5.X
Old 11 May 2008, 07:28

Originally Posted by Abe1 View Post
You can globally turn it off for the newreply and newthread pages.
Aha, thanks very much!
Old 16 May 2008, 00:56

can the user be made to view two threads, one after another?
Old 16 May 2008, 04:48

v nice hack v helpful
Old 17 May 2008, 15:26

Hi,

Great idea!! Ive installed, but no option shows in "thread tools". What have I done wrong? Im running vb 3.7.

Thanks
Old 18 May 2008, 13:05

Originally Posted by Robbey View Post
can the user be made to view two threads, one after another?
Yes. Once they finish with one, if they try to go elsewhere, they will get the error message again.

Old 18 May 2008, 13:06

Originally Posted by olivercookson View Post
Hi,

Great idea!! Ive installed, but no option shows in "thread tools". What have I done wrong? Im running vb 3.7.

Thanks
That is not were the option is located. It is in the ACP under threads and posts.

Old 18 May 2008, 16:36

Originally Posted by Abe1 View Post
That is not were the option is located. It is in the ACP under threads and posts.
Ahh..

Its not showing in there either?

Cheers
Old 24 May 2008, 10:36

I uninstalled an older version to upgrade to the latest but now if I force a thread nothing happens. If I put in a thread to be forced I get the Saved Sucessfully message but the information doesn't get written to the DB as it doesn't show up on the ACP forced threads page.

I'm using VB3.6.8.

e: Having checked the DB I can see the tables have been created but they're empty so the data isn't getting to them somehow.

Last edited by PlymWS; 24 May 2008 at 10:44.
Old 24 May 2008, 13:18

this mod WONDERFUL working... very thx

I ask : if ı make a thread force thread for all usergroups, any problem for bots ?
Old 26 May 2008, 06:39

Hello Abe1.

Apologies if this has been addressed but i see that when i upgraded from v1.2 to 2.0, the "Manage Force Thread Reading" is no longer available in the Thread Tools drop down menu.

is there a reason this was omitted in v2.0 ?

note: since i didn't see it, i went ahead and removed the v1.2 template edits [see below] and then reinstalled v2.0 but no option still wasn't showing within Thread Tools.....i thought having it available was a nice way to quickly access a particular thread.

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Old 29 May 2008, 19:30

I've 3.71 installed - and just installed this hack - but it's not working... When I Add a new thread, giving these infos:

thread ID=1
Force Read Order= 10
Expire= No
Usergroup=all

.. and then hit the save button - nothing happens
Old 30 May 2008, 01:15

Bug - maybe ??

See the attached pic .. thanks
Old 04 Jun 2008, 21:43

I get the following error:
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error