Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21 Jul 2012, 20:48

Thanks for the replies and offers of help

I am however impressed how you were able to survive without backups for 8 years... that is actually quite a feat..
Didn't say I didn't have any backups....just none from the last few months and I'd be missing a hell of a lot of customizations and hacks that are either no longer available or I'd tailored to my own site needs. I've got a bitter taste in my mouth just now that leaves me wanting nothing to do with rebuilding or restoring anything.

Was this shared hosting or a VPS and what control panel did you use?
I was given some server space by KW802 from my time helping out on v3 Arcade - it doesn't look like it was anything to do with the server though as only my site and files are affected. I agree with others saying it was a personal attack - which itself is interesting and I have an incline as to who may be responsible if that is the case (though I think they are too dumb to hack anything themselves) - I'm also seeing tons of site access entries from hidemyass.com IPs (not sure how relevant that is), I also have the feeling that Living Avatars admin panel may have something to do with it all but can't be sure (yet).
Old 21 Jul 2012, 23:47

@Gemma. An area for concern is how did they gain access? Is your pc security also compromised

I think it would be a good idea to do some scans for a keylogger.

If you need a good free anti root kit program just send me a pm and I will give you the details.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 06:12

Did you have the second patch level installed? I know it can be tedious to keep up with patches and updates. Maybe someday vB will have, like WordPress, auto-updates. If you're being targeted, you could try CloudFlare. It's free and takes on the task of handling these kinds of issues.

Also, if you're on cPanel, i'd highly recommend going to a Plesk host, or, since VPS technology is available on every street corner for a song, get a linux VPS, install Plesk (cheap) and let it update itself automatically to keep up with OS level security.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 17:11

Don't give up. That's exactly what they want you to do. Just give em the finger and keep on trucking.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 02:56

Gemma,

As Setishock said... "Don't give up" !

Please take care of yourself though and I hope you hear nothing but good news in the follow up!

Remember, they fight poorly and only those who "fight the good fight" live life better .

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Old 26 Jul 2012, 07:44

That sucks mate, try asking your host if they have some sort of backup, good luck.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 16:12

Thanks again for all the replies.

I've found it is pretty hard to stay away from something you have been doing for 8 years....so on a new domain and new server and using some of the tips and advice posted here we have a new site up and running; a new little place to call home
Old 30 Jul 2012, 17:30

Originally Posted by Gemma View Post

I've found it is pretty hard to stay away from something you have been doing for 8 years....so on a new domain and new server and using some of the tips and advice posted here we have a new site up and running; a new little place to call home
Well done. These things happen and shouldn't bog you down. Do try to keep regular backups from now on.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 13:28

by the sounds of it and considering what's been happening lately re: hacked websites the perps had your email address and password and possibly a username to cause unrest with... gleaned via another website holding your data which was hacked (gaming sites with many members are popular targets) they use the data some months later for spamming or just for cash-sale... or you had a key-logger installed on your home machine, if you got an email recently from a mainstream site saying 'sorry we were hacked, change your password' then that's the cause...

It sounds like just malevolence by an individual who may not have known you with those two vitals bits of information, email address and password... you might of heard in the news of some popular websites being attacked, well it's basically criminals going for mass data-collection for use a year later... data is king on the internet, your monitored by authority and hacked by the criminals with borrowed knowledge...

i wish you well in future endeavors.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 14:13

Originally Posted by Gemma View Post

Kudo's to you Gemma!!
Old 21 Sep 2012, 18:32

What was the site name?
Old 24 Sep 2012, 17:07

Originally Posted by AK47- View Post
What was the site name?
That's irrelevant.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 20:46

Woah, chill out, Im sure he was just curious.

Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 04 Dec 2012, 11:59

Well, it has been a couple of months since our rebuild and I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

http://www.arcadejunkies.org/content/

Taken a few weeks longer to get finished because we moved to a new server and I had a few loose ends with my health. But all is good now

It won't be everyone's cup of tea but our members seem to like it and that's what counts for us.
Old 04 Dec 2012, 12:10

Looks great love the skin