Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
QHSF Private Thread Details »
QHSF Private Thread
Developer Last Online: Aug 2009 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.7.2 Rating: (8 votes - 4.13 average) Installs: 57
Released: 13 Aug 2008 Last Update: 14 Aug 2008 Downloads: 324
Not Supported DB Changes Uses Plugins Auto-Template Additional Files  

Private Threads

This hack has been ported to vBulletin 3.7.2 from the vBulletin 3.5.4 version with permission granted by:

Originally Posted by Eikinskjaldi
Originally Posted by Moya
Hi Eikinskjaldi,

Are you going to release this for 3.7.x? I have it works under 3.7.x. If you don't plan to release it, can I release it?
Hi there,

Feel free to release it
This hack starts from this thread Completely Private Thread and this thread vBPrivate Thread

This private thread mod allow administrators allow a certain forum to have this feature on or off.

With this modification members can create threads that are useful for private conversations. Here are the basic options
  • Allow Selected Users To View and Prevent Others from viewing.
  • Allow Selected Usergroup To View and Prevent Others from viewing.
  • Prevent Selected Users From viewing.
Hack Overview:
  • Products: 1
    • 2 Queries
    • 15 Phrases
    • More than 15 Plugins
  • File Edits: 1
  • File Uploaded: 2
  • Template Added: 4
  • Estimated Install time: Under 5 minutes
vbadvanced cmps support: (3.0.x)
  • Block Content From Private Thread From Displaying In News Module
  • Block Content From Private Thread From Previewing In Recent Thread Module
Note : To make the message of a private thread less offensive, I use the invalid thread link

Install Instruction:

Upload :
  • functions_privatethread.php to your includes folder
  • hooks_privatethread.xml to your includes/xml folder
Edit :
  • Open archive/index.php
Find

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

add under

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Install the product using your Plugin & Products System
Edit your forum information to turn private thread option on/off

Bug Fixed :

VBPhrase Tranlation:

Please post your comments, suggestions, ideas for this product. I will read all posts.

Make sure you click INSTALL!
You will be contacted when a new version is released.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	cmps_news_pt.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	85389   Click image for larger version

Name:	cmps_recenthreads_pt.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	85390   Click image for larger version

Name:	forum_threadpreview_pt.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	85391   Click image for larger version

Name:	member_edit.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	85392  

Name:	member_newthread.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	85393   Click image for larger version

Name:	register_threadview_pt.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	85394   Click image for larger version

Name:	register_view_pt.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	85395   Click image for larger version

Name:	thread_admin.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	85396  

Name:	unregister_threadview_pt.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	85397  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 17:56

Arrow

Originally Posted by gmerin View Post
i notice it makes the threads only appear to be private because the posts within the faux private threads are available via search for all posts by user. Apparently the mod should really be titled Not Quite Private Threads
Pls consider this: there is a difference between using the search function as admin and as normal user or even guest. Different rights mean different (search) results.

I believe that you did what I did before with this addon: I did him wrong because I forgot that admins won't be excluded from those threads for security purpose. I had the same complaints before I checked normal user rights instead of my admin account (dumb, I know ).

Log out and re-check via guest or normal user account and get back here. The only thing I receive is "This is a private thread" when doing a search then but no content insecurity after all.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 17:58

Thumbs up

BTW: addon works smooth with vb 3.8
Old 24 Jan 2009, 20:57

Originally Posted by Rene Kriest View Post
Pls consider this: there is a difference between using the search function as admin and as normal user or even guest. Different rights mean different (search) results.

I believe that you did what I did before with this addon: I did him wrong because I forgot that admins won't be excluded from those threads for security purpose. I had the same complaints before I checked normal user rights instead of my admin account (dumb, I know ).

Log out and re-check via guest or normal user account and get back here. The only thing I receive is "This is a private thread" when doing a search then but no content insecurity after all.
I wouldn't have posted without first trying both as an admin and as a regular user, plus I had several of my regular users point out to me that while the thread is private when they attempt to access it, when they go to a user's profile page and select show all posts by user the posts from the supposedly private thread show up.

Go to the creator of a private thread that your regular user account should not be able to read. Go to Statistics, then do Show All Posts by <creator of the private thread>. In addition to all the non-private thread posts, the private thread posts are fully displayed.

In order to prevent this I currently have to disable the Forum Search for my users (as the Private Threads is more important to them), but I shouldn't have to.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 21:05

Originally Posted by Rene Kriest View Post
BTW: addon works smooth with vb 3.8
would you please try the procedure I described in the earlier post to see if this is a basic deficiency of the mod or a difference between v3.7x and v3.8?
Old 24 Jan 2009, 21:44

i notice it makes the threads only appear to be private because the posts within the faux private threads are available via search for all posts by user. Apparently the mod should really be titled Not Quite Private Threads
I kinda agree. To me, its not even "Not Quite Private Threads." Its more like "Deny Post Viewing For Certain Users or Groups."

@The author: Dont get me wrong, the hack itself is excellent...I simply feel that its misnamed.

For example, a private message cant be seen by anyone at all except for those whom its intended for. Thus i think that a private THREAD should be 100% invisible if you arent part of the usergroup(s)/ person(s) who are allowed to see it...

It should be like ts not even there. If I start a private thread as an admin, I should be able to see it...but if I log in as a regualr user, it should be as it it doesnt exist at ALL...

Again, just my two cents. Its partially there by disallowing the viewing of the conversation in question. If it were to be taken to that last step? It'd be killer...
Old 25 Jan 2009, 19:41

Originally Posted by btotw View Post
I kinda agree. To me, its not even "Not Quite Private Threads." Its more like "Deny Post Viewing For Certain Users or Groups."

@The author: Dont get me wrong, the hack itself is excellent...I simply feel that its misnamed.

For example, a private message cant be seen by anyone at all except for those whom its intended for. Thus i think that a private THREAD should be 100% invisible if you arent part of the usergroup(s)/ person(s) who are allowed to see it...

It should be like ts not even there. If I start a private thread as an admin, I should be able to see it...but if I log in as a regualr user, it should be as it it doesnt exist at ALL...

Again, just my two cents. Its partially there by disallowing the viewing of the conversation in question. If it were to be taken to that last step? It'd be killer...
and if the denied users or groups really want to see what they're begin denied they only have to go to the thread creator's public profile and look at all posts by user to read everything in the thread. it's kind of like when children make something invisible by covering their eyes

other than that little issue, the hack is beautiful and my users value it so much that they are willing to lose the searching facilities of VB in order to maintain the security of the hack.
Old 26 Jan 2009, 22:44

Lightbulb

Hello folks!

I am finally back after some testing and I also had a look at the source code of this addon aswell.

To make it short:
  1. This addon is save only under certain additional conditions which need to be set by an admin
  2. The addon has no flaws
Kinda paradoxical, or? But read on!

Here are now the results of my investigations regarding the so-called security flaws

The "search postings" issue is a flaw but not of the addon but of the cache.
You need to rebuild your search index cache to make the addon work 100%. After rebuilding there will be a message in the search posting preview "This is message from private thread". Technically the addon is flawless - the problem is the forum search cache.

How to fix that issue
  • Rebuild your cache often via cron
  • Allow the addon only in certain forums which aren't searchable
  • Allow the addon only in certain forums which are restricted to certain usergroups only, but take care: then the problem applies to the members of the usergroup itself if you do not alter the search rules to the forum
  • Turn of "posting preview" or reduce the number of letters (standard: 200, to be found in search.php)
  • Use a spoiler to at least 200 letters for each posting
My suggestions
Use the addon only in forums where the search function is put off or at least restricted to titles only.

Rebuildung your Search Index Cache somehow sucks, because of the time gaps and the huge server load it creates.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 06:42

So does this mod still work.

Does it really create thread privacy or are there loopholes?
Old 29 Jan 2009, 14:01

Originally Posted by murekhalir View Post
So does this mod still work.

Does it really create thread privacy or are there loopholes?
If I'm reading Rene correctly the mod does create fully private threads if you limit it to forums that are not searchable, and if you rebuild your search cache often.

Unfortunately constantly rebuilding the search cache is not realistic due to the time and server resources required.

So this leaves us with the option of shutting off the search function on the board or limiting the mod to forums which have the search function disabled.

I have no problem with exchanging the search functionality for the private threads.

I am indifferent as to where the fault lies: I prefer to fix the flaws than to affix the blame. Whether you want to say the mod is flawed or the caching algorithm of VB is flawed, is immaterial to me.

I do believe the limitations and implicit requirements should be noted prominently in the mod's documentation so that admins are forewarned, rather than finding out about it after one of your members realizes that she posted info about her adulterous affairs in a private thread that wasn't all that private...
Old 07 Feb 2009, 00:37

Can't find the ON/OFF Switch!!!

What does Admin Panel/Forum Rights/?

There is no such option in the Admin CP

Thanks!
Old 07 Feb 2009, 01:49

Originally Posted by Phornixx View Post
Can't find the ON/OFF Switch!!!

What does Admin Panel/Forum Rights/?

There is no such option in the Admin CP

Thanks!
go into the Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager

expand the forums and permission each in the Enable / Disable Private Thread Option towards the bottom.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 21:37

and if the denied users or groups really want to see what they're begin denied they only have to go to the thread creator's public profile and look at all posts by user to read everything in the thread. it's kind of like when children make something invisible by covering their eyes

other than that little issue, the hack is beautiful and my users value it so much that they are willing to lose the searching facilities of VB in order to maintain the security of the hack.
I understand your point.

Understand mine.

My point is that the hack is GREAT. But it should be called "Private POSTS" instead of "Private Thread"
Old 09 Aug 2009, 19:25

There is a plugin that is disabled by default:
Private Threads: Get Private/Restricted Users showthread_complete
What does that one do? Why is it disabled?

Also -- do you know how the mod interacts with mysql fulltext search? Does it still have the same problems?

Also -- is it still set up for admin only to be able to 'private' things?

It's an excellent mod -- I used the older version (long ago) and found them useful for our boards. Thanks for putting it together (it's BIG!) and thanks for supporting it.

One comment: I am running a huge board with many forums. It would be great if the admin controls had a setting that would propagate through child forums.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 14:44

BUG: Edit (AJAX) of the first post of a thread results in the loss of the private flag for the thread.
Old 29 Dec 2009, 19:31

A question, does this work with VB4?

Has anyone tested it?