Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Article Options
Old 21 Mar 2008, 22:52

Some fantastic tips there, most of them I already knew, but there were one or two useful things that I have learnt from your Article!

Thanks for Sharing it with us :P!
Old 04 Oct 2008, 16:59

Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
Nothing wrong with having more than one a administrator. Many forums do this and I can't see any problem with it. Maybe it's your personal preference, I don't think it's a general tip though IMO.

Good tip on not promoting people who ask to be moderators though - hate people who do that! (and I also never give them mod status if they ask, especially if they do it in public!)
I've been on one too many web forums where this became a massive issue. Mid-day shut downs for "upgrades" on already established boards. Complete forum reuploads including users tables under new url's.

I would never in my life do that.
Old 25 Oct 2008, 02:15

Nice advice indeed, I'll take it into consideration.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 06:18

Originally Posted by filburt1 View Post
9. Never, under any circumstances except for corporate websites, have another administrator.
Boy do I wish I'd read this one before.....
Old 02 Apr 2009, 04:51

4. Always allow guests to view forums and threads, as well as clearly being able to tell statistics like the number of people online and the number of total posts. You don't need to give them access to attachments, the actual Who's Online page, or the memberlist. Do let them view profiles. If your forums offer special features such as a Tip of the Day, entice them by showing them the first several hundred chars of the tip, and then require them to register to view the rest.
How can I disable the memberlist to guest?
Old 13 Jul 2009, 12:37

Great advise ... I believe one should never take the decision of making someone a Admin or even a moderator, in a hurry. Take your time, plan the growth of your website and have a duration in mind when you really need to have another moderator on board to manage things. Make sure you keep in mind that he/she will also need training (the older the board, the more the training) and you should probably select someone who has been an active member on your site for quite sometime. NEVER select a moderator for your site who has been a moderator on other (even similar) site because unless your site is a complete rip-off of that site, it's going to be quite different ... Older members have been comfortable with the way things happen on your community and are OK with it ...

Select the mods and admins very carefully !!
Old 14 Jul 2009, 00:34

In regards to the multiple admins on one forum.

I run one corporate forum and one non-corporate forum.

For thecorporate forum there are 3 admins. Me, the President, and our Customer service person.

As for the other one. It is an anime forum that has ben around since 2003 when I started off as a super mod. I have since taken over the site since the "owner" has either lost interest. Or has since finished law school and is completely swamped.

I have five admins under me all with complete access to the cp and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Only one besides me has server access.

Reverend TCG503

Animemp3s.org Admin

Church Of Anime Inc Founder
Old 29 Jul 2009, 08:31

Great suggestions!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:52

Multi-Admin is really stressful, specially when your doing all the work. I was luck that my other admin went into the army and left.

Introducing vBSocial 10
Old 06 Sep 2009, 16:56

This is not exactly current anymore...
the majority of computer users are using 800x600 on a 56Kb modem
Old 03 Nov 2009, 12:05

Hmm...
Netbooks, Phone, mini-pmp tablets...
GSM/EDGE & 3G/HSDPA? Your 21Mbps Mast is only 2Mbps SHARED amongst all the the users for 97% of the cell area. A 50k to 100k experience is not uncommon.
Actual dialup is 20k to 49k, rarely ever more, only ISDN or related tech does true 56k or 64K.

Less than 50% of Irish Internet users have true Broadband. One third of non-copper pair dialup are actually on 3G/Mobile/HSPA, which is absolutely not Broadband, though marketed as it.
http://www.wattystuff.net/issues/mobile-and-nbs/
http://www.techtir.ie/forums/showthr...=2045#post2045
http://www.techtir.ie/forums/showthr...=2073#post2073
http://irelandoffline.org/

Don't have gratuitous graphics.
Old 03 Nov 2009, 17:48

What follows is a list of things that you should always do, except in extraordinary circumstances, when operating vBulletin

3. Don't use a graphics-heavy layout such as those like Yaxay and other sites. Some people think they look good, but remember the majority of computer users are using 800x600 on a 56Kb modem. Also, remember that search engine bots can't index the text within images.
I think this one is out of date mate
ETA I did not see the last replies when I quoted this from the front page , guess it was a pretty common observation.

of course we also have the archive and PDA option, although it does not do the user CP or new post in low to no graphics. unless I have missed something.
Old 02 May 2010, 23:01

maybe somebody should update this article a bit
Old 17 Jan 2012, 15:22

Really good guide/article.

Thanks very much for your share!
Old 25 Dec 2012, 21:03

just setup my own forum, and while learning loads,. i just came across your post,. thank you for that,. luckily i use common sense and do search alot,. so many of these points are already considered the norm, however,. on that admin regard, hmm, i run no corporate forum, so i do see the point in that, additional admin negated (mostly because of his own behaviour, which was exactly my worry from the get-go)

thank you for your useful tips.