Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 13 May 2006, 08:06
Daniel's Avatar
Daniel Daniel is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Real name: Daniel
Very unfortunate to see such a great coder leave... you will be missed.
__________________
Daniel
  #32  
Old 13 May 2006, 08:59
Bubble #5 Bubble #5 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by The Geek
Wow. Thats a hit for .org - you're talent is going to be missed by many around here.
Great coders like LiveWire, PaulM, and The Geek (just to name a few) are the lifes blood of this site. Whether vB realizes it or not, it's all the great add-on hacks that keeps people coming back here and makes vB such an attractive package. The hacks at this site were 60-70% of the reason why this customer chose to give vB my hard earned money instead of Invision. Without good coders here this site will just fade away over time. Oh sure this site is 'relatively' strong now, but that's because there are still 'a few' good coders left here. What happens when there is only one or two mediocre coders here? Lets face it, we come here for the good add-on hacks, not tea and cookies. Unfortunately for this site, vB, and the vB community we lost a really great coder when LiveWire left. I think that vB shoots themself in the foot whenever they give great coders like LiveWire reasons to leave. I for one will miss his incredible hacks, not only because I know he must have invested a lot of time in designing them, but also because hacks aside, I know that LiveWire is a really good person. It's a sad day here at vB.org, and they are losing a lot more than just a really good coder
__________________
If we don't help each other when we can, then we're not making this world a better place.
  #33  
Old 13 May 2006, 09:02
Freesteyelz's Avatar
Freesteyelz Freesteyelz is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Originally Posted by Bubble #5
Lets face it, we come here for the good add-on hacks, not tea and cookies.

I'm not much for tea but I'm definitely in for the cookies. :classic:
__________________


  #34  
Old 13 May 2006, 09:13
Bubble #5 Bubble #5 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Talking

Originally Posted by Freesteyelz
I'm not much for tea but I'm definitely in for the cookies.
Well fortunately for you your computer probably has plenty of them
  #35  
Old 13 May 2006, 09:19
Zachery's Avatar
Zachery Zachery is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Real name: Zachery Woods
Originally Posted by Bubble #5
Great coders like LiveWire, PaulM, and The Geek (just to name a few) are the lifes blood of this site.
They are not, they are just part of the community, the other 99.99% of the users on this site are its lifeblood. Not a few users who do happen to code hacks.

Not to harp specificly on LiveWire, PAul, or The Geek. But I could possibly say that about most any coder here. One coder does not make or break this site, the entire community does. If EVERY signle person on this forum up and left, it'd be a differnt story. But they arn't and won't so I'd rather not worry about it.

Is it sad? Sure, but things will move on and people will get on with their lifes. Anyone who leaves this site for whatever reason should do so and not need to make a post about it.
__________________
Looking for ImpEx?
  #36  
Old 13 May 2006, 09:25
Marco van Herwaarden Marco van Herwaarden is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Originally Posted by Bubble #5
Great coders like LiveWire, PaulM, and The Geek (just to name a few) are the lifes blood of this site.
That is life!!

If you take any community (or company) you will see that there will always be a few that (seem to) stick above the others. But in time these people will always change, some go, new ones stand up.

You could have made this same statement a few years ago, just changes a couple of names, nothing special going on here.
__________________
Marco van Herwaarden
Ex vBulletin.org Coordinator
  #37  
Old 13 May 2006, 10:00
poolking poolking is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Real name: Rich
TonyG,

Just picked up on your point about being professional, it is not deemed professional to be nasty and give abuse back just because you receive it. Being a professional does not mean sinking yourself to the same level. Maybe you should look up being professional in a dictionary.
  #38  
Old 13 May 2006, 10:05
Boofo's Avatar
Boofo Boofo is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Real name: Rob
Originally Posted by poolking
TonyG,

Just picked up on your point about being professional, it is not deemed professional to be nasty and give abuse back just because you receive it. Being a professional does not mean sinking yourself to the same level. Maybe you should look up being professional in a dictionary.
Believe it or not, we Staff are actually humans, too, which means we do make mistakes and sometimes let our emotions cloud an issue we are trying to address. (Takes long breath). I agree, that does not make any adverse actions we take right, but understanding is a 2-way street that we both must accept if we are going to get along in the community.
  #39  
Old 13 May 2006, 10:13
Logikos Logikos is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Originally Posted by Zachery
Anyone who leaves this site for whatever reason should do so and not need to make a post about it
I think after spending 4 years here, releasing over 30 hacks, which could take someone hours, weeks, or even months deserves the right to state there opions to the rest of the community, and post a farewell thread if they feel the need to. To be honest, any member who feels the need to leave should have the option to create a post about it. You welcome introduction threads here, why not welcome farewell threads?

Maybe I'm just taking your post out of content, but the fact of the matter is. Jelsoft does not recognize coders for the great work they do. Alot of features you see in the vBulletin package now, came from hardcore coders from the past. I think they aleast deserve a thanks or some form of credit where credit is due. Almost every coder here will thank other coders in there threads when they help them out, or point to the original idea that was requested to show that the idea was taken from so and so. Coders give more respect to fellow coders alike then Jelsofts development and managment team does. Thats where the main problem lies.

If coders where to be treated as an aset to this site, then I'm sure alot of us wouldn't have quit.

Originally Posted by Xenon
vbulletin.org was a board for coders
emphasis added
__________________
Full Time PHP Developer
Please feel free to contact me if you have any paid work to be done.
  #40  
Old 13 May 2006, 10:27
stinger2's Avatar
stinger2 stinger2 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
maybe i don't have the right to respond but this thread is important

if you click quick links and then unanswered threads.you will get 20 pages ..each page with 20 posts....and there might be more.

that is another sphere than from the past..

not to be rude to staff here...they are great.....but livewire has a point and one fact is for sure....if it was not for the hacks and addons..vbulletin would not be so popular..

some compromise is necessary from both parts...staff and coders
  #41  
Old 13 May 2006, 11:07
bashy bashy is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Its a sad time when a respected member decides to leave, More so after all the hard work they have contributed, After all it is thier work that keeps a place like this as popular as it is!!

I know from experience what its like to be singled out, I was once more popular and respected than the staff on a certain forum and my life was made hell, they picked up on the slightest of mistake and i was banned for life, albeit your leaving of your own accord but it can be classed as constructive!

I have only been here since November so i dont really know the ins and outs of said issues, I have noticed a few members being abrupt in posts but i take this with a pinch of salt, this is just the way forums are.....

Peeps generally type how it sounds in there head, it may sound completely different to another member, it all depend on how you want to read into it. You will always get this on forums, more so 1 of this size...

Its a shame you cant work this out with the parties invovled and stick around, your hacks/addons are great and i have prob tried most if not all for my version of VB

I do hope that you reconsider, if not good luck in with what you venture in to next and take care!!!
__________________
Bashy

Bashys Place ~ Bashys Hosting
  #42  
Old 13 May 2006, 12:06
The Geek's Avatar
The Geek The Geek is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Originally Posted by MarcoH64
nothing special going on here.
Exactly!!! Its all going somewhere else

People come and go from communities - that is for certain. However when serious contributors are bullied out - there is a problem. Couple that with the fact that you're those bailing are the ones that give your customers a reason to come on to this site and you have a serious problem. Surely losing actual contributing customers from this site should spark more than a 'hoo hum. It's only another coder leaving'.

Most staff are apathetic. They just want their lives to be easier (after all, they volunteer their time here). Therefore they think its an improvement if more of the vocal users bailed (even if they are the ones contributing work for the site).

Eventually, Livewires farewell thread will be buried. He'll be gone, .org will continue to run the same tired ship in the same tired direction - ignoring those customers and contributors that scream to go someplace different. More coders will jump ship and soon you'll be left with an empty hold.

Instigating some change. Celebrating the talent that contributes around here.

Your user to producder ration just went further out of whack
  #43  
Old 13 May 2006, 12:14
Boofo's Avatar
Boofo Boofo is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Real name: Rob
As usual, sir, you're blowing things way out of proportion and making predictions that are never going to happen. You talk about tiresome.
  #44  
Old 13 May 2006, 12:14
Logikos Logikos is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Yes, this thread will get closed/moved and buried. The staff will say that this doesn't belong in this forum even when the forum clearly states to Please let us know what you think about us in here!.

Like The Geek said, Instigating some change and celebrating the talent that contributes around here will begin to move this forum back in the direct it used to be in. Untill that happens this will be an ongoing circle. Sooner or later vBulletin is going to release another major version and no one will be able to get great hacks with out paying for them.
__________________
Full Time PHP Developer
Please feel free to contact me if you have any paid work to be done.
  #45  
Old 13 May 2006, 12:45
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
Originally Posted by Zachery
They are not, they are just part of the community, the other 99.99% of the users on this site are its lifeblood. Not a few users who do happen to code hacks.
Really ? - how long do you think the site would last if the "few users who do happen to code hacks" stopped and left ?

According to the modifications page there are ;

User Statistics: Coder: 390, Advanced Coder: 53, Master Coder: 11
I would guess that less than 75% of them are still active (actually it's probably worse than that). You are right that no one coder should be considered more important, but in reality some do play a much more active role than others, and alienating them is not going to do you any good - and remember, as a group they are very important - no coders = no mods = no site - it's pretty much as simple as that.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 21:06.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: