Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:23

known hack conflicts

could we set up somewhere like a page for known hack conflicts and fixes.

i.e. /me hack refuses to work with the shoutbox hack

Make me a Hack of The Month author: GRPS: Groups Commune
make my hacks, they'll make you famous

unless it's a security concern, please do not pm/im me for support unless you're willing to pay.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:51

that i never knew

yeah and another bug is the /you hack refuses to work without the /me hack cause the /girlfriend hacks steps in and ruins it all

yeah sounds a good idea that SabretOOthe - do u mean they conflict on vb3 gold though ?
Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:57

Originally Posted by sabret00the
i.e. /me hack refuses to work with the shoutbox hack
I'm sure they would work with a bit of jugging about However I don't use the /me hack thats release here or the shoutbox. If you mean that the /me action doesn't work inside the shoutbox then I don't think thats a conflict but my design (of the /me hack at least).

WinterDir .:. vBindex v2.1 for vB2 .:. vBindex v3.0.0 RC5 for vB3
Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:58

It has my support, but who would maintain it?
Old 25 Mar 2004, 15:27

Originally Posted by NTLDR
I'm sure they would work with a bit of jugging about However I don't use the /me hack thats release here or the shoutbox. If you mean that the /me action doesn't work inside the shoutbox then I don't think thats a conflict but my design (of the /me hack at least).
it causes the shoutbox to stop accepting shouts all together

unless it's a security concern, please do not pm/im me for support unless you're willing to pay.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 15:28

Originally Posted by lasto
that i never knew

yeah and another bug is the /you hack refuses to work without the /me hack cause the /girlfriend hacks steps in and ruins it all

yeah sounds a good idea that SabretOOthe - do u mean they conflict on vb3 gold though ?
not with vb3 gold but with eachother causing them not to work.

Old 25 Mar 2004, 15:29

Originally Posted by filburt1
the hacks, it would be a bit like the bugs page over at vb.com (in working, i.e. could easily be done thru the forums) where someone submits a bug, it gets confirmed, and then a fix is offered, by a member or one of the hack authors.

Old 25 Mar 2004, 15:30

Originally Posted by filburt1
The developers of the hack where the problem resides. If for instance in this case, the /me hack won't work in conjunction with the shoutbox hack then the authors of those hacks should collaborate together to make it work.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 16:26

I believe it would be best if the relevant hack threads includes this information so that you can find everything about a hack in one place. For instance if you caught such a conflict, you can post it to the hack's thread with a title bug or conflict and then someone who searches in the thread with that keyword can easily list all conflicts.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 16:55

Originally Posted by Logician
I believe it would be best if the relevant hack threads includes this information so that you can find everything about a hack in one place. For instance if you caught such a conflict, you can post it to the hack's thread with a title bug or conflict and then someone who searches in the thread with that keyword can easily list all conflicts.
Posts about conflicts and stuff are still scattered around though, it'd be best to keep it in one separate place.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 17:35

Originally Posted by Chris Gwynne
Posts about conflicts and stuff are still scattered around though, it'd be best to keep it in one separate place.
i actually agree, alot easier to track, especially as we're talking about where hacks conflict with eachother and if someone offers a fix then it's more likely another coder will see and might even be able to offer a more secure, less system intensize solution.

Old 25 Mar 2004, 18:41

Well I suggested a sort of FAQ documentation system for a mod a long time ago Where mod authors and users can add comments to the FAQ for the mod. Obviously the original modder's FAQ's get added straight away - but the user's are approved by the modder.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 19:11

We had a similiar system (which failed to work) before if you remember: We used to have a "support forum" where people can post threads about hack problems (quite similiar to your conflicts). But nobody except the posters cared about that forum. Hack authors did not visit there and they only cared about the problems posted in their hack's threads. Other people ignored that forum too so threads there couldnt get any replies (except "go ask in the hack thread" replies) and they didn't even read (most threads had 3-4 views). So we removed the forum so that all information related to a hack can be compiled in a single thread.
Old 27 Mar 2004, 17:12

what would it hurt to set it up and if it didn't work just delete it and all threads there in?