Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 16 Nov 2008, 23:56

Originally Posted by Shelley_c View Post
That's not a deterent nor a solution in preventing scripts being distributed. As soons as the new line of the vbulletin software is released the majority of authors have updated their scripts. They can either carry on releasing here and have valid license holders download their scripts and forward them on to these third party suspect sites or they can simply stop releasing them period.

You can eventually get one site shut down but 3 will pop up in it's place and the same rules applies to authors who eventually get sick of releasing scripts and remove/abandon them. They will leave and 3 other coders will pop up in their place.

It's a vicious circle, unfortunately they will always prevail so I stand by my original comment by saying get on with life and forget about making any kind of impact or plea here to prevent it or even question why scripts here make their way to warez/filesharing sites.
with that attitude the pirates have already won...jelsoft could recruit some volunteers on their behalf to go out and send emails, contact providers, etc...and it would not cost jelsoft anything more then just to try...there are always people willing to help out, its better then doing nothing at all...and some people are online that have nothing better to do, I say give them a mission, and they will have something to do...in cooporation, ive had many domains remove my pirated software, if you are nice and polite to whom you are writing too (provider) most will comply. If you do nothing, guess what? expect nothing.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 00:19

Wink

With an attitude like mine? I've had scores of sites shut down, I've seen my styles become one of the most populour styles on the scene, had most of my submissions here posted, sold by legit members of this community and you telling me I lack motivation. Your damn right, I couldn't give a $#!+.

If you know how bad piracy is then you already know it's a one way street. Do you think jelsoft gives a crap about peoples submissions here? They couldn't care if mine or your work is re-published and spending time and money chasing after low-life kids is a waste of time. Go knock yourself out and see how far it get's you in "teaming up" and forming this vigilante group of renegades. Like I said, this thread is hilarious and before you get on your high horse are you actually a victim of piracy?

The only mission I have is to be lazy, and let people get on with whatever they want to get on with.

Last edited by Roms; 18 Nov 2008 at 06:46. Reason: Removed naughty word....
Old 17 Nov 2008, 02:57

The only mission I have is to be lazy...
LMAO! I'm with you 110% on that point

Last edited by smacklan; 17 Nov 2008 at 03:18.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 08:47

With an attitude like mine? I've had scores of sites shut down, I've seen my styles become one of the most populour styles on the scene, had most of my submissions here posted, sold by legit members of this community and you telling me I lack motivation. Your damn right, I couldn't give a $#!+.

If you know how bad piracy is then you already know it's a one way street. Do you think jelsoft gives a crap about peoples submissions here? They couldn't care if mine or your work is re-published and spending time and money chasing after low-life kids is a waste of time. Go knock yourself out and see how far it get's you in "teaming up" and forming this vigilante group of renegades. Like I said, this thread is hilarious and before you get on your high horse are you actually a victim of piracy?

The only mission I have is to be lazy, and let people get on with whatever they want to get on with.
ha! Incredible post.

Jacquii.

Last edited by Roms; 18 Nov 2008 at 06:48. Reason: removed naughty word
Old 17 Nov 2008, 09:25

Wow, something I actually agree with Jacquii about..
Old 17 Nov 2008, 09:29

ROFL - I was just thinking the same - Something I finally agree with John about LOL

Jacquii.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 15:59

Just ignore them Shelley, this really isn't a serious thread...
People re-distribute stuff because they can.
And don't take that guy serious... they just can't deal with the fact that there are people that actually think for themselves and not the herd.

Last edited by Roms; 18 Nov 2008 at 06:49. Reason: removed naughty word
Old 18 Nov 2008, 22:12

someone go ask those guys to use my mods I feel so left out.

on the piracy of your work: yeah, that sucks. good thing I don't care about where what I post here end up, or else I would be upset.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 22:31

Originally Posted by Dream View Post
someone go ask those guys to use my mods I feel so left out.

on the piracy of your work: yeah, that sucks. good thing I don't care about where what I post here end up, or else I would be upset.
Your mods must suck dream Im sorry
I could send a request to them, meaning they would be "legally doing it" lol
Old 19 Nov 2008, 13:00

LOL - Score 1 for warez ((giggling raucously))
Anyway... Dream - If I were in to having a nulled vBulletin again - I would certainly use the TV & Radio modification

Jacquii.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 19:50

Originally Posted by CodingMonkey View Post
Pirated or "nulled" vBulletin websites always have a backhole. The users that null the forum software are usually just a bunch of script kiddies that go into the source, look for callhome scripts and remove them and distribute them. But, in the process, they remove some legit code that protects their sites.

Fail, right?
Where are you getting your nulled vBulletin from? I assure you there are plenty of copies going around without backholes. Just because it's warez doesn't mean it's automatically not secure. I've personally seen copies without back holes going around..I know because I've downloaded them and compared them line for line with a legit version. All most of them remove is the .js call home in the admincp and the step during installation where you have to input the customer number. I've even seen copies floating around that supply you with a customer number to use during installation..I assume whoever released it just modified a certain constant in a .php file.

My point is vBulletin is easy to nullify and anyone that can read the source code can do it in a couple of minutes. Yes there are warez copies with backholes floating around the internet but they are the minority. Most warez groups pride themselves on releasing good software, not crap.

Getting back on topic; I stopped caring about my modifications begin on warez sites ages ago. If it bothers you I advise you to send a DMCA notice and hire a lawyer because you're going to have to do it yourself.. it is your responsibility to protect your own IP if you choose to do so.

You'll never stop the warez scene so your best bet is learning how to work with it. Keep in mind that someone using a pirated copy doesn't automatically mean you lost a customer (assuming you code for money). Most people that pirate wouldn't have bought your software anyway.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 12:20

Originally Posted by glorify
Why are vb.org's mods getting ripped/redistributed?
Simply...because they can.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 14:58

They are already free to download here, so what's the problem? You can download them here free of charge so what's the difference if they are somewhere else free?
Old 23 Nov 2008, 15:49

Originally Posted by aeturner89 View Post
They are already free to download here, so what's the problem? You can download them here free of charge so what's the difference if they are somewhere else free?
Because only license holders can download mods here. Essentially by having them on other sites, users of pirated vBulletin have access to them.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 23:29

I found a site that was redistributing paid works of some coders and warned one coder of what was happening. She, in turn, posted a thread about it warning others that their works were stolen but the thread was censored by a mod because I guess she wasn't supposed to post it. I was on my way to notifying some of the others when I saw her being dressed down about it so it made me back off.

Now, I'm not a coder and I appreciate the hard work of those who put out fabulous work but it seems to me that vb only want to hear about it when their software is ripped. The coders do a lot of work to enhance vb software and it would only seem fair (to me) to at least allow them some way to warn others when the works have been stolen.
Closed Thread