Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13 Sep 2011, 22:42

Post CloudFlare stats

Originally Posted by Max Taxable View Post
Minor issue, it does not seem to be counting any stats at all.
In your CloudFlare stats? I do need to advise that there is a 24-hour delay for stats for free accounts (24 hours from the time the actual nameserver switch happened).

Also: Very important to make sure that you have all of your zone records in your DNS settings. A common issue is that folks have a www subdomain missing in their DNS settings, so traffic could appear lower until that CNAME is added. You can check your DNS settings by going to: settings->DNS Settings on CloudFlare.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 22:48

Originally Posted by damoncloudflare View Post
In your CloudFlare stats? I do need to advise that there is a 24-hour delay for stats for free accounts (24 hours from the time the actual nameserver switch happened).

Also: Very important to make sure that you have all of your zone records in your DNS settings. A common issue is that folks have a www subdomain missing in their DNS settings, so traffic could appear lower until that CNAME is added. You can check your DNS settings by going to: settings->DNS Settings on CloudFlare.
Thanks for the fast reply. No subdomains missing, the DNS settings are perfect.

I figured there would be a 24-48 hour delay on the stats. Not a biggie.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 01:43

Originally Posted by Brakkish View Post
I tried Cloudflare for a week. After receiving feedback from our users and weighing the cons and pros it provides, we elected it wasn't for us.

Secondary problems were encountered when trying to cancel the service. Easy to sign up (easy to find buttons), but had a somewhat difficult time cancelling the service. (no buttons at the time to uninstall/cancel service.) Which led me searching through emails to find a point of contact, then waiting for a response, meanwhile my community was experiencing some residual hiccups from the service as I continued communications with a tech via emails over the next 36hrs to finalize cancellation.

To their defense, the service was in beta at the time. Perhaps the ability to simply cancel the service on the user's end has been added or at least somewhat streamlined by this time. (however I was under the impression this wasn't in their immediate lineup; making it easy for users to cancel isn't exactly good business sense right? *nudge - poke*
I don't understand this. To me it looks like cancelling CloudFlare is as easy as switching nameservers back the way they were before and reverting the one file edit. Am I missing something?
Old 20 Sep 2011, 00:05

I don't understand this. To me it looks like cancelling CloudFlare is as easy as switching nameservers back the way they were before and reverting the one file edit. Am I missing something?
"I don't understand this. To me it looks like cancelling CloudFlare is as easy as switching nameservers back the way they were before and reverting the one file edit. Am I missing something?"

It actually is that easy. Or you an turn it off in the hosting provider cPanel if you activated that way (there are two ways to activate CloudFlare, direct or through an approved hosting partner).

It is a little more complex if someone did something strange (creating multiple accounts, changing nameservers via a hosting provider when they don't need to, etc.).
Old 30 Nov 2011, 04:39

I had to stop using cloudflare on my main forum because it would make my pages unavailable often. It was very annoying. I got it working on another site but people rarely visit that one so it's all good.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 11:52

Post CloudFlare site issues

Originally Posted by Octavius. View Post
I had to stop using cloudflare on my main forum because it would make my pages unavailable often. It was very annoying. I got it working on another site but people rarely visit that one so it's all good.
How was it making the pages unavailable? It is very important to make sure requests from CloudFlare aren't being blocked or limited at the hosting provider or server level.
Old 01 Dec 2011, 11:05

Im looking at using cloudflare on my forum.
What settings are you guys using that use it?
Best and optimal performance

So far the only thing you need to edit is one file from what I have read, if you run a 3.8 forum

On my low level, static page, websites, so far it looks good with limited testing
Old 01 Dec 2011, 11:18

"So far the only thing you need to edit is one file from what I have read, if you run a 3.8 forum"

More than happy to answer any questions about CloudFlare. You do want to make that change if you want original visitor IP returned to you & this is actually kind of important because all visitors would like our IPs without making that change to VB (which can impact a variety of things, including the ability to block by IP).

Some helpful tips:
CloudFlare and forums
Tips for new users
Old 01 Dec 2011, 14:38

please keep support for cloudflare off of vbulletin.org

Latest Articles:
Liquid Layout = Less Ad Revenue?
How to Monetize Your Site
Improve Web Page Performance
How To Write For The Web

If it needs instructions, there's room for improvement.
Give users what they actually want, not what they say they want. And whatever you do, don't give them new features just because your competitors have them!
Old 21 Mar 2012, 17:32

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but back to topic. I've been using Cloudfare, and all I had to do was edit that one file. Everything else went smooth.

I read MaxCDN wasn't so fast in Europe, so I didn't sign up for their free offer when I bought vBseo. I hadn't really thought much about a CDN until checking into it further. Having no interest in paying for something that I could have gotten for free, I went with Cloudfare. All seems fine so far.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 17:34

Originally Posted by forum4 View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but back to topic. I've been using Cloudfare, and all I had to do was edit that one file. Everything else went smooth.

I read MaxCDN wasn't so fast in Europe, so I didn't sign up for their free offer when I bought vBseo. I hadn't really thought much about a CDN until checking into it further. Having no interest in paying for something that I could have gotten for free, I went with Cloudfare. All seems fine so far.
It's been working well for me too. I do fear however, that it won't stay free.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 19:33

Post CloudFlare Price

It's been working well for me too. I do fear however, that it won't stay free.
We always plan to offer a free service. We have other ways of monetizing the service (features, apps) so we can offer free services.

--------------- Added 21 Mar 2012 at 19:34 ---------------

Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
please keep support for cloudflare off of vbulletin.org

Sorry, I'm not trying to spammy at all (just addressing specific issues relative to CloudFlare so you don't have to). Drop me a line, if you wish (just saw the above post).
Old 23 Mar 2012, 00:57

OKay, Imma give it a shot. I m using vb4* DO I still need to edit that file with same code ?
Old 24 Mar 2012, 00:09

I did notice that I have to bypass Cloudflare to get to the cpanel, and that's kind of a pain.

Plus, my Living Avatars won't work anymore as it's not picking up the cookie or something. It just kept saying I had to log into the forum, which I already was. It kind of reminded me about the cpanel issue. If you don't bypass Cloudlfare, it will keep making you log in over and over.

I know there are issues about chat as well. The recommendation was to install the chat on a subdomain, which I don't think we can do with Living Avatars.

Update: Totally not using Cloudflare anymore. For some odd reason vbseo changes the url of the sigpic, and Cloudflare can't find it when it's turned on. That and I don't think there's a way to use it with Living Avatars...bummer. Having to log in over and over was another annoyance.

Last edited by forum4; 24 Mar 2012 at 23:38.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 21:41

Just one thing to note, rocketloader & the vb4 ckeditor do not play nicely. When enabled, the toolbars for the editor fail to load. Disable rocketloader, leave the page & reload the editor, voila, working again.