Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01 Nov 2012, 03:03

Thats crazy that none of the plugins will work :/
Old 01 Nov 2012, 03:25

Granted, some bugs. But bottom line is this thing is going to be a monster.
Old 06 Nov 2012, 12:42

Originally Posted by vividbreeze View Post
I think there wil be not so many coders who make mods for VB5.
The are waiting till VB is going to be releasd and working 100%.
Buth if i see the list of bugs again, i dont think VB wil be 100% out befor eastern.
Old 08 Nov 2012, 20:39

Just installed it. I am so impressed with the picture upload function..At last, something easy to use.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 03:24

Originally Posted by iyama View Post
I think there wil be not so many coders who make mods for VB5.
The are waiting till VB is going to be releasd and working 100%.
Buth if i see the list of bugs again, i dont think VB wil be 100% out befor eastern.
In time mods will move to vB5 just as they did with vB4 but perhaps slower. For developers it really comes down to two things: the amount of change required and corresponding demand.

When vB first announced 5 there was nothing created, nothing to referance and nothing to talk through but with early adopters that's starting to shift and there's a library of work to see and learn from.

However while vB4 required a template change which took some time but was overall an issue of remapping vB5 is a much different backend structure, much more formal and thus no small task, especially for a bigger mod. The vB of course team knew this would happen but sometimes you have to break things to improve them.

So until the demand spikes up from actual use it's just not likely to see a ton developed although it's encouraging to see what's already done.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 07:31

Problem is coders make vb to a good product with there mods & addons. Not the vb team.
If there where no good coders, there was no vb to sell.

Originally Posted by vividbreeze View Post
Thats why i hate the release of vb5. Why not already started in vb4 with several things from vb5?
Why must all coders buy vb5 to make there mods & addons working in vb5?
I have several mods & addons on my site and afraid that several coders dont make a new one for vb5.
Yeah maybe end 2013! As vb5 is going to final.

And we are talking already moths of vb5 and his beta's.

Last edited by iyama; 20 Nov 2012 at 07:38.
Old 03 Dec 2012, 06:33

After reading this, I am a little nervous about buying the new vb5. I have been using vb since it was a baby. I was not too thrilled when they changed the structure of the template system and introduced the replacement variable system. That took some getting used to. I am seeing a lot of complaints, but I wonder how many people are happy with it and just don't say so?

I have a new website to build with high expectations and while I would like to stick with what I know works and what I know will offer the most support and mods, I do not want to start building on something that may soon be outdated and obsolete. I would hate to get rolling with another vb4 site and find that the newer versions turn out to be much better. Too much work involved in upgrading when you customize like I do. Not to mention I am taking on a high rolling competitor who is using an older vB, so I want to be 10 steps ahead with the latest software.

I was poking around in the demo and did see there are some new features and changes in there. I would say anyone asking what the differences are should thoroughly test the demo. No way to really get an idea how it will perform with heavy traffic though.

I would also think that those upgrading will probably run into more bugs than those doing a clean install. Especially if their site has been customized and has plugins installed. Something to keep in mind when listening to people having trouble with the program. Wonder what the ratio of complaints on clean installs vs upgrades are?

I think I will bite the bullet and go for it. Fingers crossed.
Old 03 Dec 2012, 10:50

A photo is worth of 1,000 words. After reading the detailed documentation for Extentions, I'm ready to port my 20+ AddOns to vB5 Connect. hmm... Wrong naming. Must call it vB5 DISconnect

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vb5doc.jpg (118.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 07 Dec 2012, 01:41

Vb5 = vB4 re-written in a worse way. Not many features added and nothing will work like vB4.

Man, I sometimes wish XenForo wins the court cases....... THey're making it more difficult and difficult for us developers to actually do shit out side of the board then post on forums..................................................
Old 07 Dec 2012, 11:40

It's funny, I tend to remember very similar comments about vB 4 when it first came out.

But look now.. vB 4 has more mods than any other vB version!

Once coders understand what is going on, most will appreciate the changes and find it fairly easy to work with.

Last edited by nhawk; 07 Dec 2012 at 14:17.
Old 07 Dec 2012, 12:10

Originally Posted by nhawk View Post
Once true coders understand what is going on,
What is your meaning of "true coders"? First of all (in my opinion) there are Business coders (doing coding for living) and hobbist coders (having other income for living).
A Hobbist coder for sure can spend time for learning the new coding standards, becuse he does it for hobby. Has already an income for living.
A Business coder must makes some calculations. eg How long it will takes me to learn it? How wide is the potential market for my new work? etc etc.

But let's say that everybody can act as hobbist coder. Where is the documentation for new standars? If you say me "Open that file and see that...", sorry you're not a coder, you're a copier. I'm pround that having 30+ vB addons, I never opened a vB core file to see (or worst to copy) a single line of code. And I'll award anybody if he can find a single line of code in my mods which exists on vB core files. The only "copy" that maybe exists is from Articles published here. But not from vB files.

Chris
Old 07 Dec 2012, 14:19

I took out the word "true" from my post.

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I posted, but I'm certain it wasn't meant to offend anyone. But since it has, I apologize.

I really need to stop posting before I've had my first cup of coffee.
Old 12 Dec 2012, 22:23

vB5 dont use YUI anymore, it moved to jQuery
Old 25 Nov 2014, 10:05

seems it's going to take a bit of time for it to become something worth upgrading a live forum
I've programmed myself musically to come up with love-feeling tracks that are romantic, sexy, but classy, all in one. And that's the challenge. Once I create that music, then the lyrical content starts to come - you know, the bdsm stories and things like that.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 10:43

Edit: OK, next time I'll read the year of what I'm answering to...

http://www.roma-antiqua.de

Last edited by cellarius; 25 Nov 2014 at 21:55.