Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 04 Jan 2018, 19:02
In Omnibus's Avatar
In Omnibus In Omnibus is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Real name: Kris
Originally Posted by Alan_SP View Post
Not necessary.

We can discuss about it publicly, as there's obviously big public interest about this particular custom work. And we know about it only because it was publicly unannounced.

I guess that all of us can privately define all details with Paul, but some work could be done openly.
This still isn't the place to discuss paid work. There's a forum specifically for that. In addition there are other ways of contacting Paul.

Having people turn this into a solicitations forum is only going to get it shut down entirely, which serves no one.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05 Jan 2018, 00:04
Mandushi's Avatar
Mandushi Mandushi is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Real name: Mandi
I'm interested with custom 3.8.12
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05 Jan 2018, 00:32
TTayfun's Avatar
TTayfun TTayfun is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Real name: MSc. Tayfun T.
Paul, i think you should add in display unread mod
__________________
vBulletin 3/4 Forum Kurulumu ve Yönetimi / XenForo Kurulum
ve IP Board Kurulum işleriniz için özel mesaj atabilirsiniz.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05 Jan 2018, 04:14
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
Originally Posted by In Omnibus View Post
This still isn't the place to discuss paid work.
When did you become a moderator ? I must have missed that.

They are not "discussing paid work", they are expressing an interest (if it should happen).
If I decide to take that route, I will make it known, and create a way for people to contact me about it.

If people wish to contact me before, then TAZ is a better place.
I joined the staff there in the summer, and spend most of my vBulletin related time there now.
There is nothing tying me to this site anymore.

--------------- Added 05 Jan 2018 at 04:16 ---------------

Originally Posted by TTayfun View Post
Paul, i think you should add in display unread mod
I happen to agree, Im trying to remember why I never added it as part of "Garfield", when we did 4.2.0, but I dont recall now.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05 Jan 2018, 13:19
In Omnibus's Avatar
In Omnibus In Omnibus is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Real name: Kris
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
When did you become a moderator ? I must have missed that.
I didn't. When did you become a "member?"

I've been known to be wrong before but everything says they're looking for reasons to shutter this site. The complete lack of activity for vB5.x is a valid reason. So, adding requests for paid work from the developer they let go on software they no longer actively service is just adding another reason. I realize you and others here don't care. It's only about your individual needs and screw everyone else.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 05 Jan 2018, 21:19
Alan_SP's Avatar
Alan_SP Alan_SP is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Originally Posted by In Omnibus View Post
It's only about your individual needs and screw everyone else.
I don't think that "we who discuss here" screwed anyone. I think you missed who's actually one to blame for current situation.

And I understand your fears, I myself like vB4. I liked vB3 also. I guess I'm guilty of not liking vB5. But, who knows, maybe with xenforo 2 I see a bit of light. Who knows... maybe...
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06 Jan 2018, 04:34
Panzer Max's Avatar
Panzer Max Panzer Max is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Real name: Pam
Originally Posted by In Omnibus View Post
I didn't. When did you become a "member?"

I've been known to be wrong before but everything says they're looking for reasons to shutter this site. The complete lack of activity for vB5.x is a valid reason. So, adding requests for paid work from the developer they let go on software they no longer actively service is just adding another reason. I realize you and others here don't care. It's only about your individual needs and screw everyone else.
I'm happy that a knowledgeable and reliable engineer is available for work on existing 3.x forums. If vBulletin would post they would contract out support, I would be happy for that. Some of us have reasons for sticking with the old versions of vB, so let's not overlook that assistance and support are a good thing.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06 Jan 2018, 12:36
In Omnibus's Avatar
In Omnibus In Omnibus is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Real name: Kris
Originally Posted by Alan_SP View Post
I don't think that "we who discuss here" screwed anyone. I think you missed who's actually one to blame for current situation.

And I understand your fears, I myself like vB4. I liked vB3 also. I guess I'm guilty of not liking vB5. But, who knows, maybe with xenforo 2 I see a bit of light. Who knows... maybe...
To be clear I am painfully aware of who is to blame for the current situation.
To be clear it isn't Paul.
To be clear, that is all hindsight.

The customers who purchased vB5 need this site not to become nothing more than a platform for customers who purchased software which is no longer officially supported to discuss paid work. vBulletin gains nothing from keeping open a website that serves only as free advertising for third party coders to work on software they no longer sell.

Meanwhile, this site does virtually nothing for customers of the product they do currently sell. So, why should they keep it up and running? You tell me.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06 Jan 2018, 13:17
TTayfun's Avatar
TTayfun TTayfun is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Real name: MSc. Tayfun T.
Originally Posted by In Omnibus View Post
To be clear I am painfully aware of who is to blame for the current situation.
To be clear it isn't Paul.
To be clear, that is all hindsight.

The customers who purchased vB5 need this site not to become nothing more than a platform for customers who purchased software which is no longer officially supported to discuss paid work. vBulletin gains nothing from keeping open a website that serves only as free advertising for third party coders to work on software they no longer sell.

Meanwhile, this site does virtually nothing for customers of the product they do currently sell. So, why should they keep it up and running? You tell me.
Why did customers buy "owned license"? What does it mean "OWNED LICENSE"? if php background not support my forum version, then it's limited license, mean php limited license..
__________________
vBulletin 3/4 Forum Kurulumu ve Yönetimi / XenForo Kurulum
ve IP Board Kurulum işleriniz için özel mesaj atabilirsiniz.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06 Jan 2018, 14:21
Mark.B Mark.B is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
There is no such thing as an owned license any more.

Prior to the vB4 release there were two types of license:

Owned license: You paid a one off fee similar to how you do now, and you could run the software for life, similar to now. BUT the initial fee covered updates for a year. After that, you could carry on running the software, but only up to the latest version that was available at the point the year expired. You could then by a further year of updates for a small fee. This is similar to how XenForo works today. There are still plenty of customers with these licenses, but the upgrade option is no longer available for purchase...if they want the newer releases they need to upgrade to a full 'new style' license.

Leased license: You paid an annual fee and could run the software and download updates for a year. After a year, you either paid the same fee again, or else you had to stop running the software altogether.

Just a little history lesson for anyone interested.
__________________
MARK.B (Member of the vB Support Team)
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06 Jan 2018, 15:19
Panzer Max's Avatar
Panzer Max Panzer Max is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Real name: Pam
Originally Posted by In Omnibus View Post
To be clear I am painfully aware of who is to blame for the current situation.
To be clear it isn't Paul.
To be clear, that is all hindsight.

The customers who purchased vB5 need this site not to become nothing more than a platform for customers who purchased software which is no longer officially supported to discuss paid work. vBulletin gains nothing from keeping open a website that serves only as free advertising for third party coders to work on software they no longer sell.

Meanwhile, this site does virtually nothing for customers of the product they do currently sell. So, why should they keep it up and running? You tell me.
Loyalty to their customers? Past and present.

We bought the product vB made (3). We like it, we use it and we paid for it (twice). We do not like the new product (5), it is not what we want. If a company is struggling, making the product their customers want is the first thing they should examine.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06 Jan 2018, 16:08
In Omnibus's Avatar
In Omnibus In Omnibus is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Real name: Kris
Originally Posted by Panzer Max View Post
Loyalty to their customers? Past and present.

We bought the product vB made (3). We like it, we use it and we paid for it (twice). We do not like the new product (5), it is not what we want. If a company is struggling, making the product their customers want is the first thing they should examine.
Loyalty to customers who purchased a product how long ago? Should companies be indefinitely loyal to customers who purchased their product once years ago? vB3.8 is roughly ten years old. My vB4 license is eight years old. IB doesn't owe me anything for something I purchased eight years ago. Or ten years ago.

I don't mind telling you IB doesn't owe anyone except vB5 customers anything.

From where some people developed this sense of entitlement to lifetime product support I don't know but IB has supported vB3.x and vB4.x a lot longer than most companies support any product. Longer than any product Microsoft or Apple has ever produced. Longer than any car warranty. Longer than they should have.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06 Jan 2018, 16:12
Mark.B Mark.B is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Originally Posted by Panzer Max View Post
Loyalty to their customers? Past and present.

We bought the product vB made (3). We like it, we use it and we paid for it (twice). We do not like the new product (5), it is not what we want. If a company is struggling, making the product their customers want is the first thing they should examine.
If the last time you paid the company any money was at least a decade ago, what makes you think they 'owe' you anything?
__________________
MARK.B (Member of the vB Support Team)
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06 Jan 2018, 18:59
Alan_SP's Avatar
Alan_SP Alan_SP is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Originally Posted by Mark.B View Post
Just a little history lesson for anyone interested.
Strange, I'm pretty sure I paid for vB4 to be able to download updates (of course, within vB4 branch, not any type of update) "indefinitely". I'm pretty sure I can log in to members area and download latest vB4 version.

Not sure how it was called exactly.

I'm checking and here's what it say in members area:

Active
vBulletin 4.x Publishing Suite
And I can download vB4.2.5

--------------- Added 06 Jan 2018 at 19:05 ---------------

Originally Posted by In Omnibus View Post
Meanwhile, this site does virtually nothing for customers of the product they do currently sell. So, why should they keep it up and running? You tell me.
I'm pretty sure that there are people still who buy vB5 (as they can buy only that version) and actually download and use vB3 or vB4. If they close this site, their sales will drop dramatically.

And not only that, but some people who use vB3 and/or vB4 will sooner switch to other platforms (think xenforo) then later. Which basically will mean that there's even smaller number of forums who uses vB. Number of sites who use that software platform is for company that makes that software also something of value.

Last edited by Alan_SP; 06 Jan 2018 at 19:06.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06 Jan 2018, 20:17
Mark.B Mark.B is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Originally Posted by Panzer Max View Post
Loyalty to their customers? Past and present.

We bought the product vB made (3). We like it, we use it and we paid for it (twice). We do not like the new product (5), it is not what we want. If a company is struggling, making the product their customers want is the first thing they should examine.
This may come as a shock to some people, but most companies exist to make a profit. Providing a free service to people because they paid some money ten years ago isn't really good business practice.

--------------- Added 06 Jan 2018 at 20:18 ---------------

Originally Posted by Alan_SP View Post
Strange, I'm pretty sure I paid for vB4 to be able to download updates (of course, within vB4 branch, not any type of update) "indefinitely". I'm pretty sure I can log in to members area and download latest vB4 version.

Not sure how it was called exactly.

I'm checking and here's what it say in members area:



And I can download vB4.2.5

--------------- Added 06 Jan 2018 at 19:05 ---------------

.
Yep, hence my comment at the top of the post:
Originally Posted by Mark.B View Post
Prior to the vB4 release there were two types of license
--------------- Added 06 Jan 2018 at 20:19 ---------------

Originally Posted by Alan_SP View Post
I'm pretty sure that there are people still who buy vB5 (as they can buy only that version) and actually download and use vB3 or vB4. If they close this site, their sales will drop dramatically.

And not only that, but some people who use vB3 and/or vB4 will sooner switch to other platforms (think xenforo) then later. Which basically will mean that there's even smaller number of forums who uses vB. Number of sites who use that software platform is for company that makes that software also something of value.
Nobody has said anything about closing this site. I'm not sure where all this has come from.
__________________
MARK.B (Member of the vB Support Team)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
endoflife, vbulletin


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 16:37.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: