Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
vbStopForumSpam Details »
vbStopForumSpam
Developer Last Online: Nov 2013 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.0.0 Rating: (100 votes - 4.73 average) Installs: 1205
Released: 23 Dec 2009 Last Update: 27 Dec 2009 Downloads: 6146
Not Supported DB Changes Uses Plugins Additional Files Re-usable Code External Content  

vbStopForumSpam

Mod of the month winner October 2009.... That cant be bad

Apologies in advance, this is a copy of the 3.6/3.7/3.8 mod that has been verified to work in 4.0 (its so that I dont get a billion PMs asking if it works in 4.0)

This provides access to a RBL type system for forum admins, listing known spam IP / email / usernames. The RBL database is provided by www.stopforumspam.com. You do NOT need an API key from the website in order to access the database. only to submit data if you should wish to do so.

At the point of user registration, the mod checks if the IP number / provided username / email addresses appear on a block list and can block the registration.

Whilst this isnt the most perfect way to stop all forum spam, its another step that spammers have to overcome.

What it does

It checks with a remote database of known forum spammers. Their IP number, email address and forum username are tested and based on your configuration, you can reject / log / accept user registrations based on what you get back.

This version doesnt have
- whitelisting or the ability to submit users to the database but it will within the next week.
- automatic user deletion / post / PM purging. There are good tools out there already, this does something else.

Instructions are included in the installation.txt file - PLEASE read it first and dont forget to actually upload the files in the upload folder, otherwise it WILL kill your registration progress and you wont see the log file options in admincp.

Changes to vB
- 3 new database tables
- 2 database table alternations
- No new templates.
- 2 Hook (register_addmember_process & register_addmember_complete)

Ive tested it but had feedback that it works with versions as old as 3.6.2... Support should go back to older versions, as long as they have hook support for register_addmember_process / register_addmember_complete

For code to submit spammers to the database, check this post for code changes
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...&postcount=288

Reported to work
- 3.6.1, 3.6.2, 3.6.9, 3.6.10, 3.7.0, 3.7.1, 3.7.2, 3.7.3, 3.74, 3.80, 3.81, 3.82, 3.83, 3.8.4, 4.0beta3, 4.0 Gold
, 4.2pl1,2

Installers should remember to refresh their ACP navigation window when they first install it so they can see the new log file menu item.

REQUIRES MySQL 4.1.1+

There is a small mod, coded by Wired1 that will allow you to submit spammer details to the database from the admin control panel, here http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...&postcount=289 This relies 100% on javascript being enabled and makes no tests that it is enabled.

You need to have an API key from www.stopforumspam.com in order to submit data, its free and easy to get... You DONT need an API key in order to use this mod however, only to submit spammer data.

Issues are
- The usergroup permissions / view details etc DONT work. I jumped the gun and put the permissions controls in there before I put the code in. Please delete the includes/xml/bitfield_vbstopforumspam.xml file and rebuild your postbit

Installation
- Follow the instructions in the zip file, that includes the file upload the correct folders.

Please click Installed

The original thread is at http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=176481 where there is a wealth of knowledge about the mod, please ask questions in there.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Administrative and Maintenance Tools vbStopForumSpam - known spammer lookup for new registrations pedigree vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons 1228 26 Jan 2016 18:27
Administrative and Maintenance Tools vbStopForumSpam pedigree vBulletin 3.8 Add-ons 154 09 Apr 2013 07:54

Old 09 Dec 2010, 05:42

Anyone have the code listed in the first post to submit data, clicking on the link brings up invalid link.

Old 14 Dec 2010, 22:56

Originally Posted by kylek View Post
Anyone have the code listed in the first post to submit data, clicking on the link brings up invalid link.

Also looking for this. Have spent over an hour reading forum posts trying to find a valid link to something that shows how. Frustrating. The software works brilliantly so having this last bit of information somehow hidden is sad.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 23:40

Well, of course, we all knew to look at page 69 in this thread and the post by JesterP.

There's the answer.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 11:18

Couple hours short of 24, this has stopped over 400 in their tracks. Couldn't be more pleased! Here's a minor modification I recommend that helps the daily ritual of approving users and involves a minor edit to the user.php file. This is for those requiring the user to validate their email and then the admin manually approving:

We're running this on 4.1.0 PL2: line 1754 in user.php (may vary slightly in different versions), replace their mailto link and the following line that tells the IP (never figured out why we'd want to mail someone from the final approval process) and their not very useful IP check and instead point those to Google so you can see where those email addresses appear, and the IP to a decent WhoIs lookup. Most of my spam registrations come from Phillipines, Vietnam, Malaysia, India and my site is topical for something not practice there so this makes it super easy.

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Of course every time you upgrade this will get wiped, but it's an easy change that really adds some value. YMMV. I'm shutting up now, happy.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 21:34

www.stopforumspam.com seems to be down - anyone else having issues?

Thanks
www.AusPhotography.net.au a.k.a. AP is a photography forum where members share their photography, photo editing skills and techniques. We run regular photographic competitions; Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) using this account
*** Home of the AP fully comprehensive vb4 photographic competition management solution ***
Old 15 Dec 2010, 21:42

Yep, I just started seeing DB Errors, but not sure what's causing it.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 21:42

Yup, its been down for the last hour. Got the same errors, think its timing out when trying to get on stopforumspam site while its down.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 16:24

hi,

Yes that site is a little slow but i bet that site get's allot of traffic if i could talk to the owner of stopforumspam.com i would ask him/her if i could help in mirroring it's content i'm on a dedicated server i have gigabytes of space left offcource since it's a spammers blacklist i think the site is often the "target" of online attacks like (D)dos or similar please correct me if i'm wrong.I would provide a mirror for free just to join the fight against the spammers
Old 20 Dec 2010, 09:14

Ive been using this mod since VB4 came out and was also using the previous version for vb3, However i have to say its now been removed from all my forums.

Ive seen alot of increases in emails of which genuine users are complaining they can not sign up, this has been the case for some time however ive always just replied to their emails asking them to sign up with a different username and that seemed to work.

However recently i was working on a clients website and he had it installed , he said that he gets around 4 complaints per day all from genuine users, so i thought i would run a little experiment and disable it on a couple of boards for a couple of days, in those days ive seen much better conversions and a much higher posting rate from new members, Also those members have returned and are becoming very good posters. Also the time on the site for each person is much higher .

Spam has not been an issue since disabling this mod , i run the mod "bad Behaviour" and also "VSA advanced permissions based on Post count" basically meaning they can not post links , images and email addresses until they have 20 posts. With these two alone i have had zero spam.

I thought i would write this quickly as ive always loved this mod but there is seriously something wrong when it blocks SO MANY potential members
Old 20 Dec 2010, 14:01

Originally Posted by riverwire View Post
Ive been using this mod since VB4 came out and was also using the previous version for vb3, However i have to say its now been removed from all my forums.

Ive seen alot of increases in emails of which genuine users are complaining they can not sign up, this has been the case for some time however ive always just replied to their emails asking them to sign up with a different username and that seemed to work.

However recently i was working on a clients website and he had it installed , he said that he gets around 4 complaints per day all from genuine users, so i thought i would run a little experiment and disable it on a couple of boards for a couple of days, in those days ive seen much better conversions and a much higher posting rate from new members, Also those members have returned and are becoming very good posters. Also the time on the site for each person is much higher .

Spam has not been an issue since disabling this mod , i run the mod "bad Behaviour" and also "VSA advanced permissions based on Post count" basically meaning they can not post links , images and email addresses until they have 20 posts. With these two alone i have had zero spam.

I thought i would write this quickly as ive always loved this mod but there is seriously something wrong when it blocks SO MANY potential members
Were you having it screen for user name?
Old 29 Dec 2010, 20:06

I have upgraded to the latest and greatest VB, and I no longer see my submit to stopforum spam in the search for user section in Admin CP under the user's profile. What happened?
Old 06 Jan 2011, 10:32

Originally Posted by djbaxter View Post
Were you having it screen for user name?
When I first installed this mod I have it check username, email and IP. I soon found out that even normal usernames were on the stopforumspam database so I disabled username checks. The username check is pointless anyway because with emails it is unique to someone and so can IP in a lot of cases. Whereas username is not unique to anyone.

However, having said that, I have not had a single spam bot join my site for a long long time since installing this mod. But.... and there's always a but.... I had a suspicious account register the other day and it had a .ru email. I later manually checked the stopforumspam site and the email and IP is on the database but it appeared on there AFTER it registered on my site. Then today I get another strange username register, but with a .com email. It's not currently on the stopforumspam database, but when I search the email on google I found it on another forum where it registered yesterday with a different but again odd username so I suspect it is also a spam bot.

So after all this time I now start getting spam bots register.

I like the sound of the "bad behaviour" and "VSA advanced permissions" mods. I might check those out.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 13:18

This is the best fricken thing EVER to be offered for vbulletin. Absolutely amazing. In the last 16 hours (since I installed it) It has prevented 212 people from registering, allowed 47 people to register, and after hand checking all 47, only two were spam. Amazing. Sending donation now.

This mod, used in combination with the geographical ip prevention is wonderful. I can block all of asia. My life is back to normal again!!

To the people who say their worried about blocking legit people, I can only say that I don't care. Spending hours a day filtering through new registrations vs having a few legit people per day blocked is not even a question of being a problem for me.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 14:04

it is great ,having it since it was available ,amazing to see how it is working ,loving to browse true the logs ,lots of .ru spam last months
but im glad this mod is here ,its one of the best mods for VB
Old 07 Jan 2011, 17:12

I have two suggestions based on the SMF mod that uses StopForumSpam's database to filter spammers. The SMF version as I recall had another option besides just deny or allow registration on match.

I would suggest a third option...allow registration and put the regsitrant in the moderation queue. Also, if the database can't be reached for whatever reason a similar approach should be taken to ensure valid registrants aren't tagged as spammers just because they couldn't be checked.

As a note I am impressed with the fact that this mod still works on V4.1 considering no updates for quite some time. I would be willing to donate if the mod could be rounded out and provide more options on how to handle things.