Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Different Domain, Different Style Details »
Different Domain, Different Style
Developer Last Online: Aug 2020 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.7.0 Rating: (13 votes - 4.77 average) Installs: 187
Released: 28 Mar 2008 Last Update: 19 May 2008 Downloads: 1161
Not Supported Uses Plugins Re-usable Code Translations  

This is a simple add-on which will force users to a specific style based on the url the user visited.

I wrote this with the idea of being able to create a subdomain of mobile.domainname.com and have visitirs to that URL forced to a mobile style whilst visitors to my normal site (domainname.com or www.domainname.com) would be rpesented with my regular style.

Alternatively if you have 2 domain names which point to the same forum, you can have a customized style based on the domain name visited. You can do what you want, but it may be as simple as only having a different banner reflecting the host name visited, or if you have merged 2 forums - users could still get the same skin they always have had if they continue to visit the same URL.

With the HOST matching be aware that if the URL specified in the add-on matches anywhere in the url visited, the add-on will be triggered.

e.g. if URL specified in add-on = domainname.com, any subdomains of domainname.com will match this.

Version Information
1.0.0 - Initial release ported from 3.6 version
1.0.1 - Fixed missing Setting Group Name

product-ddds37.xml supports a single additional domain
product-ddds37_5-domain-version.xml supports one to five additional domains

To upgrade, simply import and allow overwrite.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Forum Display Enhancements DDDS - Different Domain Different Style dartho vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons 116 25 Nov 2009 08:20

Old 31 May 2008, 11:54

Okay problem 99% solved. The fix was in two parts:

1) in vbSEO config turn off 'Include Domain Name in URLs?' as an option.

2) In the vB config set the cookie domain to .4winmobile.com (it was blank previously)

Now the only remaining issue which I'm not sure is fixable is that vBa CMPS saves within it the path to the forums so if one is at the portal and clicks on home you are sent to the default which is the www. domain instead of the mobile. domain.

Any ideas on fixing that one guys?
Old 31 May 2008, 12:20

And just fond the 'Different Domain, Different vBAdvanced Page' Mod so on the way
Old 05 Jul 2008, 03:03

I love this mod. But does it not allow people to change skins after this is installed? It seems people cannot change to a different skin. So they must use the skin set for the domain they came in through. Is this the case?

Is there anyway to make it where they come in through that domain and get the set skin? But then they can change it?
Old 05 Jul 2008, 06:17

It seems people cannot change to a different skin. So they must use the skin set for the domain they came in through. Is this the case?
That is the case for this mod. Would need to re-write or extend it and use cookies to make it an initial setting which can be changed.... I've wanted to do this with another mod, so if/when I work that out it should be easy to apply to this one.
Old 07 Jul 2008, 18:10

Originally Posted by dartho View Post
That is the case for this mod. Would need to re-write or extend it and use cookies to make it an initial setting which can be changed.... I've wanted to do this with another mod, so if/when I work that out it should be easy to apply to this one.
I look forward to it when you do. My users would love to be able to set different skins for different urls. Also I would like to request if possible that a setting be to only allow certain skins to be chosen per url.

Old 17 Jul 2008, 22:50

Can I suggest putting this:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

In headerinclude for a different domain that links to the same content. It will tell spiders not to index it. You won't get a penalty for duplicate content.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 02:33

Good idea - you'd need to put that in the headinclude of your"different style", I don't think it is something I'd get this add-on to do, so it will be up to individuals to make these edits..
Old 21 Jul 2008, 06:40

domain od ubdomain

it works only with subdomain? or with domain?
Old 21 Jul 2008, 07:10

either
Old 24 Jul 2008, 03:59

wouldn't I need to have a different VB license for each domain I run the hack with, and same for VBSEO?
Old 24 Jul 2008, 04:20

No - have a read here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...97#post1286197

and here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...22#post1414222

for the official word from vBulletin.com and pertinent parts of the license agreement.

Not sure about VBSEO though...
Old 24 Jul 2008, 21:31

I understand, but I was thinking in hiding some subforums in different skins so that

domain1 sees skin1 and subforums 1,2 and 3
domain2 sees skin2 and subforums 4, 5 and 6

That would be pretty much like pretending to be different sites, which is what the license stands for.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 22:51

Yes, I believe you may require additional licenses if you were to do that with different domain names. However, from reading the license agreement if you were to only have different sub-domains you may be within the bounds of the license agreement, although possibly outside the intent or spirit of it.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 09:27

I don't know how I can thank you for this Dartho, you made my days brighter.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 21:19

This is beautifull.. I like it and I have a need for it too with 4 domains pointing at the same location...

Thanks