Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 15 Oct 2009, 07:39

Ok, looks like i'll be switching to IPB or even phpBB.
I'm not going to let them rip me off like that!

Old 15 Oct 2009, 09:34

I've always appreciated the professionalism of this company, but the way they are marketing vB 4.0 is just a shame.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 11:06

I am guessing that they are in financial trouble, to basically blackmail people into buying something that is not complete and has no release date (not even a guess) suggests a rush to bring in capital. I would be careful paying the upgrade tbh as what will you get if they go bust in the next few months? There are several other platforms which you can convert your VB forum. I think it will show very soon whether this is a dash for capital or just plain greed as once they realize a very large portion of people can't afford such a massive hike in fees they will need to change something or pretty soon there will be a domain holding page where vb.com was.
People saying it is not much of an increase should look at the maths. I have an owned license paid something like $180 for the software and $45 a year or whatever to keep updates means on the old structure for 4 years you would have paid $315 or $6.00 a month (decreasing the longer you own it). On the new structure That would be $285 and most likely $235 a year updates which is $990 or $20.65 a month in other words they have more than TREBLED the monthly fees. Nice work if you can find it.

Last edited by Marco van Herwaarden; 16 Oct 2009 at 11:19.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 12:26

Project tools as an open source project on vbulletin.org very well i'm lost $50 thank you vbulletin

Welcome ipb
Old 15 Oct 2009, 15:20

Originally Posted by MarceloS View Post
8 page topic so far and no response from vB?
And you won't get a response from vb here. You will only get a response from them on their official website - vbulletin.com

I'll repeat what I've said in a couple of other threads about vBulletin pricing/licensing - "Questions regarding pricing and licensing should be asked over on vbulletin.com. vbulletin.org has nothing to do with the business side of vbulletin."

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 15 Oct 2009, 15:28

I think someone inside did the math.

triple the price, lose half the customers, still come out with more of a profit.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 15:43

no demo, no release date... a big joke I think
Old 15 Oct 2009, 16:29

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
no demo, no release date... a big joke I think
don't send them more money
problem solved

Love and support one another #vote2020
I offer Managed IT Services in Kansas
Old 15 Oct 2009, 17:08

Originally Posted by Loco.M View Post
don't send them more money
problem solved
yes i agree
Old 15 Oct 2009, 17:14

VB is making a big push to get customers to update to version 4. There's no option to renew to keep version 3.8.x updated. Customers with expired licenses can not renew to get important updates, like the 3.8.4 upgrade for compatibility with PHP 5.3.0. Some sites (hmmm, which could those be?) are so customized that the admins do not want to upgrade because it would take tons of work to make the plugins and templates compatible with VB4. So now those sites can not get updates for 3.8.x unless they upgrade to VB4, which they won't use and would have to pay $190 now or $250 in 2 weeks. Even allowing $60 renewals for 3.8.x only upgrades without the free VB4 Forum would be acceptable, but VB doesn't allow it! Isn't this a breach of contract? Did VB not say that they provide support for the most recent version and the prior version? Not letting users renew for the prior version is not really great support.... Anyone here a lawyer?

Users are right to be concerned about VB4 considering the big changes in developers and management that VB has had. Asking users to pay $130 (or $190 if expired) in 2 weeks without any demo and just 6 screenshots is ridiculous. This presale event was announced too early and without much thought.

VB took 5+ years to go from VB 3.0 to 3.8, but with the new license of free upgrades for 4.x, I really, seriously doubt that they'll take that long to convert to VB5 - and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. I'd say in 2 yrs, you'll see VB5 - that's still a 2X fee increase compared to annual renewals ($250 license vs. 2 x $60 renewal). I guess this is their way to fund the company and avoid the interest rate hikes that banks imposed on business loans due to the economic downturn.

Last edited by godofwar2; 15 Oct 2009 at 17:52.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 17:24

Its worse.. If you also have the blog (or PT) addons that you paid for along with your owned lic, you are totally ignored and treated just like a leased or expired lic holder.. you pay the same full (or discounted if, IF your members access is still active) price as anyone else.

the whole upgrade to vB4 or nothing is really wrong. we paid for OWNED licenses for a reason and now, that reason has been pulled without any warnings.

Not a happy customer.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 17:26

I just looked at the features list of VB4 at VB.com. They claim to have a "Single Permission System" (exact quote) - LOL, now I know not to trust them. Yeah right, "Single Permission System" - let's see, you have permissions in VB Options, permissions in Usergroups, permissions in Forums, permissions in Blogs, and now you're gonna have permissions in Articles and permissions for CMS. Yep, that's "Single Permission System" for ya! I really, seriously doubt they'll clean up their permissions system with just 1 update. LOL LOL
Old 15 Oct 2009, 18:09

Originally Posted by godofwar2 View Post
I just looked at the features list of VB4 at VB.com. They claim to have a "Single Permission System" (exact quote) - LOL, now I know not to trust them. Yeah right, "Single Permission System" - let's see, you have permissions in VB Options, permissions in Usergroups, permissions in Forums, permissions in Blogs, and now you're gonna have permissions in Articles and permissions for CMS. Yep, that's "Single Permission System" for ya! I really, seriously doubt they'll clean up their permissions system with just 1 update. LOL LOL
i dunno.. i think your the only one worrying about that right now xD
Old 15 Oct 2009, 18:26

Originally Posted by Blaine0002 View Post
i dunno.. i think your the only one worrying about that right now xD
Aha i agree

I shall not be upgrading, me being a student i cant afford $130 before next year when my license runs out.

0 well i guess ill be running v.8.4 for ever
Old 15 Oct 2009, 18:28

As much as I don't like what they have done, I'll most likely shell out the $130. I have a leased license, so paying $130 now instead of $180 or $185 (That would have been the amount under the old pricing structure come June for a owned license.) for new license come june ain't that bad. And from what I'm reading at vbulletin.com, Invision has problems too, like the modifications are much more supported over here. You have to admit, vb has some fantastic coders.
Closed Thread