Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04 Nov 2013, 23:15

Originally Posted by Simon Lloyd View Post
Coders didnt leave anyone in the lurch, they all (like me) have normall lives away from here and full time jobs. Make no mistake dbtech are really only there to ply their commercial products or links (if you have updated your dbtech mods from here you may or may have not noticed the links appearing in all your footers..etc when they orginally didnt).

I'm not against them making money, everyone needs to put bread on the table, i'm just trying to get you to see the reality of it, if they are coding for vb5 then good on them.
Just popping in to say that i'm not a huge fan of that characterization. Our lite/pro version feature split is always a minimum of 75/25 in favour of the lite version when v1 is released. The split never drops below 65/35 in any future version either.

If we were really only there to ply our commercial products, the lite versions wouldn't be so strong. Not to mention all of the coders that make up DBTech have a history of releasing completely free mods here on vb.org. Oh, and we've released over 20 completely free mods without pro versions as a company.

I don't really understand why some coders feel the need to portray us as some greedy company versus their altruistic selves, but I do wish they would at least get the facts straight.

For those wondering, DBTech isn't made up of 10 coders. At this exact moment in time it consists of four active coders, two of which we essentially trained from scratch. Between the free (not lite) mods they released under the DBTech banner, and the free mods they have released under their own names, DBTech coders have produced something like 60 completely free mods for the community, and another 60 or so very strongly featured lite mods.

No one is getting rich from vBulletin mods; we sell them so we can afford to be able to continue producing and supporting new mods and features full time.

Sorry about the little ramble there. Regarding vB5, there is no money there at all at the moment. Anyone producing commercial modifications for it, including us, would lose a significant amount of money. We're porting mods to it at this point because users or customers of our mods for earlier vB versions have asked us to. All of the ports we have done so far have cost us money, for the record.

Not sure how that fits with the narrative that all we're interested in is money and we never do things just because we want to help people out or give something to the community, but i'm sure someone will come up with a way.

vB5 as a piece of software as a ton of potential. I personally don't think it's yet developed to a point that would make it a good replacement for vB 3.8 or vb 4.2, but it certainly has the framework to be a very good bit of software in the future. Not unlike how I didn't necessarily consider vB4 better than vB3 until several updates had been released. The potential was pretty evident from the start there as well.

Iain
DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Old 06 Nov 2013, 20:50

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
Lite versions of commercial modifications are permitted to be released here as long as:
  1. It is a working modification
  2. It is not time limited in any way
  3. It is completely free to the user
  4. It is stand alone and completely separate to the full version
  5. A single link back to the commercial version is permitted, as long as no pricing or promotional language is used in the link or embedded into the lite version.

So what are the consequences to coders if these 5 simple rules are not implemented.Do they just simply get a slap on the wrist..Or is it dependent on who you are?
Old 06 Nov 2013, 23:50

I am on vb 4.2.1 good forum.
Old 07 Nov 2013, 07:23

Originally Posted by skol View Post
So what are the consequences to coders if these 5 simple rules are not implemented.
They get flogged, tortured, then put to the wheel.

In earnest: If no one reports it, no one will act. The consequence will probably be the addon being removed. Aside from that, it may well depend a bit on the person/case, and rightly so. If someone who has contributed to the community for a long time breaks such a rule (maybe even inadvertently), you don't just hit them with the ban-stick.

http://www.roma-antiqua.de
Old 07 Nov 2013, 15:10

Cool

Originally Posted by cellarius View Post
They get flogged, tortured, then put to the wheel.

In earnest: If no one reports it, no one will act. The consequence will probably be the addon being removed. Aside from that, it may well depend a bit on the person/case, and rightly so. If someone who has contributed to the community for a long time breaks such a rule (maybe even inadvertently), you don't just hit them with the ban-stick.
Not true we just keep it simple, we have a vbulletin.org branding iron here labeled "THIS IS SPARTAAAAVB.ORG" we burn into you if you violate our site in any manner it's painful too I had Marco use it on me once jk jk

Yes if no one reports and we don't see it then its virtually invisible to those with the power to take action... basically what you said I just worded it differently lol. For me regardless if new or old member I tend to give a harmless warning first time via pm i.e. a "heads up, don't do that, this is why blah blah blah" per say, after all some truly do not know all the rules despite using the site regularly, the new guys and gals have an excuse the veterans of this site not so much .

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Old 07 Nov 2013, 15:24

I am running vBulletin 3.8.8 Beta 1 and I am happy with it.
Old 08 Nov 2013, 02:45

Originally Posted by Blueracer66 View Post
I am running vBulletin 3.8.8 Beta 1 and I am happy with it.
I feel good for you (?)
Old 08 Nov 2013, 22:46

Originally Posted by TheLastSuperman View Post
Not true we just keep it simple, we have a vbulletin.org branding iron here labeled "THIS IS SPARTAAAAVB.ORG" we burn into you if you violate our site in any manner it's painful too I had Marco use it on me once jk jk

Yes if no one reports and we don't see it then its virtually invisible to those with the power to take action... basically what you said I just worded it differently lol. For me regardless if new or old member I tend to give a harmless warning first time via pm i.e. a "heads up, don't do that, this is why blah blah blah" per say, after all some truly do not know all the rules despite using the site regularly, the new guys and gals have an excuse the veterans of this site not so much .
And do you pm a harmless warning to anyone? Thats not as you put it old or new members,I'm relating to companies as opposed to individual members as you put it.
Old 08 Nov 2013, 23:21

^ I try a harmless warning with all however companies attempting to do lite versions of their modifications on here should take the time to read the site rules and as cellarius said sometimes we simply remove the thread/mod as they should "know".

Does everyone receive a pm? No.
Is a pm required? No.

We do try being courteous by sending a pm letting members know why we did this or that etc, just seems nice to let them know "why" action was taken.

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Old 08 Nov 2013, 23:53

So how do the likes of DBtech,get around rule #13..

No affiliate links may be posted anywhere on vbulletin.org nor be included in any mod code or template. Affiliate links are links with unique code to give you credit or financial gain when a user clicks on it. This includes not using "URL Shortening" for links to any sites with potential for affiliate credit.
Old 08 Nov 2013, 23:57

Show proof of where they posted a affiliate link on this site.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 09 Nov 2013, 06:39

You seem to have a personal issue with them - so go and take it out with them elsewhere.
Or you can point to a concrete break of rules, then why don't you just report it?

But don't expect a coder collective that has provided many useful addons to vB (be it free or paid) to be banned or something in the blink of an eye.

http://www.roma-antiqua.de
Old 09 Nov 2013, 12:00

If you're referring to the Hivelocity link, that's a tracking link to let Hivelocity see where their traffic/signups are coming from. We do not receive any form of affiliate payments or credit from them. Instead we ask that any DBTech customer gets an extra discount by the sales staff by mentioning DBTech .

Iain
Old 10 Nov 2013, 02:39

Originally Posted by cellarius View Post
You seem to have a personal issue with them - so go and take it out with them elsewhere.
Or you can point to a concrete break of rules, then why don't you just report it?

But don't expect a coder collective that has provided many useful addons to vB (be it free or paid) to be banned or something in the blink of an eye.
I'm merely using DBTech as an example. I can't use you as an example due to your signature.But I could always come back with as you put it,and quote.

So what happened to Christos Teriakis?
Old 10 Nov 2013, 03:13

I'm merely using DBTech as an example. I can't use you as an example due to your signature.But I could always come back with as you put it,and quote.

So what happened to Christos Teriakis?

Global Rules
  1. Staff decisions are final. Ultimately, staff has complete discretion over what is and is not acceptable on the site.
  2. Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision, please take it up in private with a member of the site administration team.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Closed Thread