Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Make users click Install before download. Do you agree?
Yes 14 28.57%
No 35 71.43%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Jan 2010, 22:06

I find myself always clicking the install after I have tried and tested the script. I think it's just down to human nature for most to not install it or mark as installed to show their appreciation. I know from experience, I have downloaded and tried a script only to find it doesn't fit my needs so I personally think that marking as installed would give you a more inaccurate measure than it would now.

Let's face it, most people are ungrateful but then posting my own submissions here I'm not fussed if they mark as installed or not. I post for my own enjoyment and too benefit the few who have requested.

Edit: I voted No.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 22:23

BBR-APBT, I understand the reasoning behind this but at the same time there might be a user like me that will try it out and see how it effects the forum overall. I always run a test run before I decide to keep it or not.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 22:37

Same as many others, I download, try out then if I keep it on the site come back and mark it as installed. I'm all for supporting the guys who bring us these modifications, but I'm not going to mark something as installed if it's not
Old 17 Jan 2010, 23:12

Originally Posted by steven s View Post
No.
I'll download and install something but not click install.
I try it out for a little while and if it suits my needs come back and click install.
Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
And just because I download it doesn't mean it gets installed, either...sometimes it just doesn't do what *I* want it to do.

Liz
Originally Posted by Azhrialilu View Post
Same as many others, I download, try out then if I keep it on the site come back and mark it as installed. I'm all for supporting the guys who bring us these modifications, but I'm not going to mark something as installed if it's not
Same here I download and if it does what I need it to do then I mark installed otherwise I did not install it so why mark as installed OR have to come back and unmark it? I think the system is fine how it is and I'm a coder

Originally Posted by BSMedia View Post
The install count is a useless metric that means nothing. It doesn't ensure the quality of a mod, how it works, if it's secure or any useful information other than to boost the ego's of coders so they can feel a sense of pride and self worth for releasing something.
Ego?? What is ego?

Originally Posted by Shelley_c View Post
I find myself always clicking the install after I have tried and tested the script. I think it's just down to human nature for most to not install it or mark as installed to show their appreciation. I know from experience, I have downloaded and tried a script only to find it doesn't fit my needs so I personally think that marking as installed would give you a more inaccurate measure than it would now.

Let's face it, most people are ungrateful but then posting my own submissions here I'm not fussed if they mark as installed or not. I post for my own enjoyment and too benefit the few who have requested.

Edit: I voted No.
This is why I like Shelley well minus the most are ungrateful comment (ahh let's be optimistic when we can Shelley )

Mike

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Old 17 Jan 2010, 23:27

Originally Posted by TheLastSuperman View Post
Same here I download and if it does what I need it to do then I mark installed otherwise I did not install it so why mark as installed OR have to come back and unmark it? I think the system is fine how it is and I'm a coder

Ego?? What is ego?

This is why I like Shelley well minus the most are ungrateful comment (ahh let's be optimistic when we can Shelley )

Mike
I'll give it a shot. 2010 was going to bring great things, then I woke up. :P

What I meant by my comment is the majority of people won't click the mark as installed because it's mainly down to laziness or they didn't see the link to click. Let's face fact, most users are new, they come on download and be on their way. By the time they familiarize how vb.org works they have forgotten the script they might want to install or too bone idle to find the thread and mark as installed. Okay, I never said that directly but that might just be another possibility why people aren't clicking. How's that for a touch of 2010 helping of Optimism? I'm optimistic that they won't return to click the link.

Personally, I always mark as installed once I have verified the script is working and fits my needs. Heck, I even donate to the people who I found that their script benefited my site.

The way I see it. You contribute because you want to not to expect to gain or get a "mark as installed" extra rating. Though that isn't the debate here.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 01:39

Well said Shelley, I agree. This is the instant gratification generation... Quick, now, moving on to the next big thing...

- Roms, \m/ Rock on!

"We are the vBorg. You will be assimilated!"

Please do not contact me via PM or E-Mail to answer questions about a modification, please use the relevant thread or forum. I don't do custom work.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 06:03

I don't see how marking the modification as installed can be a measure of how much your mod is appreciated. If they don't mark it Installed, they don't get automatic notifications of when the mod has been upgraded, bug fixed or when a mod has security issues and needs to be uninstalled or patched. Marking as Installed is for the users benefit, not mine. Sure, you need to know whether your mod is popular enough to bother with anymore. And that's a good enough indicator without being scientifically accurate. But that feature is there for you more then it is there for me.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 06:33

Smile

Originally Posted by JakeS View Post
Yeah, & Nah.

A better idea would be to have the ability so that, when the modification is installed, it sends a quick request to vB.org & then marks as "installed". And Upon un-installation sends request as "un-installed" :-)
That's a pretty dang good idea
Old 18 Jan 2010, 06:59

Sometimes I try out a mod only on our beta forums and dont install it on the live forums because it doesnt work properly or isnt to my liking.

I dont install all the mods I download on our live forums. Also as it has been mentioned before I sometimes download a mod more than once.

If I were to click install for all of these then people will get a totally wrong idea about what all I have installed.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 08:50

Originally Posted by steven s View Post
No.
I'll download and install something but not click install.
I try it out for a little while and if it suits my needs come back and click install.
Same with me. I used to install a lot of things, but in the last few years I don't really care for a lot of the mods that are put out, but I give them a try. If I like them and decide to leave them, I always come back and click install so I can receive updates if something changes with them.

Originally Posted by NittoMOD View Post
But you have the ability to uninstall if you do not use it or if it does not fit your needs.

I vote yes since there is a high percentage of people who will download and install but will not mark it installed on VB.org.
IMO, that adds an unnecessary step. If someone downloads and installs something without clicking installed, they're the ones with the disadvantage because they'll miss out on e-mails about fixes and enhancements.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 16:15

The system works fine as it is. unless you have no arms or they miraculously been chopped off or an act of god is at pending status for their removal there's no reason stopping anyone from click the mark as installed.

The system should not be questioned for the lack of laziness and know how. Nothing stops anyone returning to click the mark as installed link once they have familiarized themselves with vbulletin.org
Old 18 Jan 2010, 16:23

Originally Posted by Shelley_c View Post
The system works fine as it is. unless you have no arms or they miraculously been chopped off
Bah, that's no excuse... you could use your nose to point and click with
Old 18 Jan 2010, 19:36

Originally Posted by Azhrialilu View Post
Bah, that's no excuse... you could use your nose to point and click with
Why would she do that when she has an army of smilies to do her bidding???

I still wuv you Shelley

Mike

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Old 18 Jan 2010, 20:24

I disagree with forcing users to click the install button.

A better suggestion IMO would be to show a notice at the top of a mod thread when you downloaded it, but you didn't click the install button. Something in the same style as the rating notice. This shouldn't be very difficult to code.

It could also include (a link to) some information about the install button (show appreciation, update notifications, ...). At the moment there's no info page about it. This could be useful for new users.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 21:09

Originally Posted by RS_Jelle View Post
I disagree with forcing users to click the install button.

A better suggestion IMO would be to show a notice at the top of a mod thread when you downloaded it, but you didn't click the install button. Something in the same style as the rating notice. This shouldn't be very difficult to code.

It could also include (a link to) some information about the install button (show appreciation, update notifications, ...). At the moment there's no info page about it. This could be useful for new users.
That is a better suggestion.

The reason I suggested this from the get go is. I know people come here and download our mods just to take them to other sites to share them with people that do not have a vBulletin licence. I really would not like people who do not pay for their software to use my mods. I also know there is really no way to stop it. I started to think about not sharing my mods, but that wouldn't hurt no one all of us who do have legal licence.

This is one of them things we just have to over look.

I actually thought this thread died after Paul spoke and said it would not happen. I didn't mean to stir the pot.