Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Move smilies to below text area (and optionally add to Quick Reply) Details »
Move smilies to below text area (and optionally add to Quick Reply)
Developer Last Online: Aug 2019 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.0.8 Rating: (26 votes - 4.73 average) Installs: 278
Released: 06 Dec 2009 Last Update: 21 Nov 2010 Downloads: 1448
Not Supported Uses Plugins Template Edits Auto-Template  

NOTE: This will break your 4.1.4 Quick Reply if you have smilies enabled there unless you do the edit below.

This moves the smilie box to below the text area when posting within threads, blogs, groups, PMs, and cms when using the Advanced Editor (new item or advanced reply). This is done using just CSS. The plugin simply appends the new CSS file to the editor.css file link in the page. It can also make the smiliebox show on the showthread page below the text box in Quick Reply if you do the Optional Edit below.

Attachment 107256

This mod is supported for the default style only as trying to debug other's site CSS issues is not easy.

This has been tested in firefox, Safari and IE7.

Version History:
1.0 2009-12-06: initial release by Lynne at vbulletin.org (pre 4.0.1)
1.1 2010-01-13: fixed issues with 4.0.1; made it move the smilies to the bottom for sending a new PM ('blog'), and for posting a New Discussion ('group') (4.0.1)
1.2 2010-01-23: fixed it to work if you store your css in the filesystem (4.0.1)
1.3 2010-05-05: added fields so it will work with vbcms and editpost (4.0.1)
1.4 2010-10-23: Modified CSS to use new stylevars - you do NOT need to upgrade to this version if your CSS is working just fine for you! (4.0.8 - see note below for 4.1PL1)

To install:

1. Import product-lynne_smilies_below.xml

2. Go to Settings > Options > Message Posting Interface Options > Put smilie box below textarea > Yes

3. Go to Settings > Options > Message Posting Interface Options and make sure you set these two settings:
Smiliebox Total Smilies - this is the total number of smilies you want to show
Smiliebox Rows (smilies below textarea) - this is the number of rows of smilies you would like

NOTE: The Total Smilies must be evenly divisible by the Rows, ie. you can't set the Total to 17 and have 2 Rows as that won't work.

4. OPTIONAL - If you also want the smiliebox to show on the showthread page under the Quick Reply, then you must do the following:
a. Go to Settings > Options > Message Posting Interface Options > Add smiliebox below Quick Reply on showthread page > Yes (Note that the above options, Put smilie box below textarea must also be set to Yes)
b. Make the following template edit in the template "showthread_quickreply".
Find the following:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Add in the following line among the bottom divs (for 4.0.8):

OR
Add in the following line among the bottom divs (for 4.1.0 PL1):

OR in 4.1.10 forward, find this code in the SHOWTHREAD template:

Add directly below there:

To get this to work with 4.1.4 (and later) Quick Reply:
Edit the plugin "Add smilies to Quick Reply also" and remove, or comment out, the line:

To uninstall:

1. Uninstall "Move smilies below textarea"
2. If you added the smiliebox to the showthread.php page in the Quick Reply, then remove the template edit done above.

This will not work for pre-beta 5 vB4.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	lynne_smilies_below.png
Views:	4359
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	107256  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Find, Optionally Email and Optionally Delete Inactive Members amykhar vBulletin 2.x Beta Releases 94 23 Apr 2008 02:15

Old 05 Nov 2012, 16:04

Sorry to bother again Lynne, i've installed this, an i'm not noticing any changes here

http://www.turiver.com/foros/newrepl...treply&t=74825

user: tester, pass: 123456

THanks in advance
Old 05 Nov 2012, 16:40

Did you read all the instructions including about adding commenting out the line in one of the plugins? and modifying the SHOWTHREAD template?

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 05 Nov 2012, 22:28

Yes, i understand that are necesarry only if you want to display it on quickreply
Old 06 Nov 2012, 02:07

They are below the reply when you go to the Advanced Reply page. The way you have your site set up, if you click on Reply, it goes to the bottom of the page and that is Quick Reply. If you click on the big red Reply button twice, it goes to the reply page and the smilies are on the bottom there (although they aren't centered which I suspect is because it is a custom style).

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 07 Feb 2013, 14:08

Great Mod and working fine with 4.2. What I like to know is there anyway I can add them under the text and image area? Lore
Old 16 Mar 2013, 02:06

Sorry to say this but I uninstalled this mod because it stopped me from editing posts. Running 4.2. Custom forum I made by starting with the default and just changing the contents.
And then after I uninstalled it, I lost all the advanced options on my reply screen.
NOT HAPPY. Have put a lot of work into my forum and now I have to start over.
Old 04 Apr 2013, 13:47

So glad to find this, thanks!

<edit>
Used a modicum of initiative and found what to edit to create the extra row, thanks. And by some miracle, that also removed the big gap between the smilies and the 'more' link.

Many thanks!
</edit>

Last edited by Hilary; 04 Apr 2013 at 14:01. Reason: being slightly less annoying
Old 08 Apr 2013, 09:43

This mod doesn't move the smiliebox below all editors - specifically, the one in 'edit signature' is still alongside. (The advanced editor in another plugin - Vaultwiki - was also unaffected by this mod, though it used to be moved by the old GTSmiliebox.)

If, like me, you need this mod because the default smiliebox position has it compressing the editor window to be about an inch wide and generally making a huge mess of things, it's possible to edit the editor_ckeditor template and add conditions to prevent the smiliebox from displaying at all on the pages unaffected by this mod.

Another difference: I'm told by a Mac/Safari user that the smilies are not clickable for her. It'd be great if that could be fixed.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 16:35

works great in 4.2.2 PL2