Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Spambot Stopper - Prevent Spambots from Registering Details »
Spambot Stopper - Prevent Spambots from Registering
Developer Last Online: Sep 2020 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.x.x Rating: (53 votes - 4.92 average) Installs: 445
Released: 01 Feb 2013 Last Update: 16 Feb 2013 Downloads: 2036
Not Supported Uses Plugins Auto-Template Re-usable Code Translations  

What is it?
----------------------------
This mod rejects registrations where the form is filled out in less than a minimum time. You can configure one of the following actions to be taken when an automated registration is detected:

- Show a "No Permissions" page
- Display the "Successful Registration" message but without creating an account
- Redirect the user to any URL you choose
- Reload the registration page with an error message of your choosing

You can also provide a list of email addresses to be notified each time a registration is blocked.

Added for version 1.1.1: Time delay enforcer, maximum time option, time limits to cut down on email notifications, posting to a thread.

In the future, I'd like to add some simple logging and statistics, and a summary type of email notification (because people seem to quickly get tired of the single emails).

Note: I coded this myself from scratch, but I would like to acknowledge a couple of previous mods that used this same idea, by users Calorie and noppid, and maybe others. In any case, I believe this one adds some features that the others don't have.

Other advantages: no ads or links, no abuse of update notifications, no disappearing features, no threats to delete the mod (it will never be deleted, at least by me). Also, translations are allowed.

Installation:
1) If you have "Is Bot", "Stop the Registration Bots", "Spammers Suck!", or another mod that works on registration time, note any admincp settings for that mod then uninstall it.

2) Import the product XML file from the Product Manager.

3) Go to Settings > Options > Spambot Stopper Options and configure the desired settings.

4) IMPORTANT: try to register a new user to make sure that there are no problems with humans registering. If you want, you can also temporarily set the minimum time to a higher value (like 60 seconds) and test to see if the spammer rejection is working.

History:
1.1.1 (Feb 16, 2013)
  • Added timer for enforcing minimum time
  • Added maximum registration time limit
  • Added time limits for email notifications
  • Added posting notificatiosn to a thread

1.0.1 (Feb 01, 2013)
  • Fixed bug
  • Added check for fake timestamps

1.0 (Jan 31, 2013)
  • Initial Release

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	sg1.jpg
Views:	2686
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	143558  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Old 01 Aug 2014, 20:24

Hmm...I'm afraid I don't know anything about the mobile stuff. Is it just a different style? Then I suppose the problem is that it's not inserting the right codes in the template. There's probably a way around that (like having an option to insert what's needed manually), but I haven't looked at this is a long time so I can't remember right now. I'll try to look at it soon (but I should warn you that I keep telling people that and I never manage to get any vb stuff done).
Old 01 Aug 2014, 21:32

OK, I got curious and looked at it a little. It works by adding the extra form values to the $timezoneoptions variable, so as long as you have that in your style it should be OK.

But I was only guessing that that was the problem, it could be something else.

Edit: OK, Chadi, I looked at your site and I see that the mobile style doesn't have the option to select the timezone, so I guess that's the problem. RIght now it doesn't look like there's any way to add it manually because I'd have to register the variables to your template. But I can add an option to do that (and maybe it will solve some other people's problems as well).

Last edited by kh99; 01 Aug 2014 at 21:40.
Old 01 Aug 2014, 22:02

Originally Posted by kh99 View Post
OK, I got curious and looked at it a little. It works by adding the extra form values to the $timezoneoptions variable, so as long as you have that in your style it should be OK.

But I was only guessing that that was the problem, it could be something else.

Edit: OK, Chadi, I looked at your site and I see that the mobile style doesn't have the option to select the timezone, so I guess that's the problem. RIght now it doesn't look like there's any way to add it manually because I'd have to register the variables to your template. But I can add an option to do that (and maybe it will solve some other people's problems as well).
Please check again. It does (I restored original template). I only removed a few lines before to test it out to see if it would work. However, it doesn't even with that variable. So, what would I do from here to fix this?

Current mobile register template

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Old 01 Aug 2014, 22:08

OK, well I'm glad you responded before I added that option. But now I'm at a loss. I guess I could try to add some logging so I can actually help people who have problems instead of telling them "I don't know".
Old 02 Aug 2014, 12:59

Installed on 4.2.2 PL1 Suite and it works perfectly! Thank you very much!
Old 03 Aug 2014, 11:46

Configuring inside the plugin also I can say that work perfectly on 4.2.2
Many thanks to the coder.
Very usefull.
I will mark immediately your mod.

Last edited by markoroots; 03 Aug 2014 at 12:01.
Old 03 Aug 2014, 11:52

Originally Posted by markoroots View Post
Hi guys,
i have just installed this mod yesterday and look what I found in one thread today:
http://www.eliquid-forum.com/threads...-the-why/page3

look also the next pages...
What is this???????
That looks like threadid 1. I guess you have "Enable posting a notice to a thread..." set to Yes, and "Specify the id of an existing thread to which notifications will be posted" to 1. So you must either specify a different threadid for those posts, or else set "Enable posting a notice to a thread..." to No.
Old 03 Aug 2014, 13:14

Hi kh99 and tanks for your quickly reply.

The thing is this:
If i set "Enable posting a notice to a thread..." to No
the mod doesn't stop to send post in the id1 thread

In the 4.2.1 vb look that this option work (cause i have 2 forum)
but in the 4.2.2 the post are still sent in the post id1 also if the "notification post" option is disabled.
Old 03 Aug 2014, 13:57

Originally Posted by markoroots View Post
Hi kh99 and tanks for your quickly reply.

The thing is this:
If i set "Enable posting a notice to a thread..." to No
the mod doesn't stop to send post in the id1 thread

In the 4.2.1 vb look that this option work (cause i have 2 forum)
but in the 4.2.2 the post are still sent in the post id1 also if the "notification post" option is disabled.
Hmm...I may have made a mistake in the way I'm checking that option. But try setting the threadid to 0 and see if that stops it.
Old 05 Aug 2014, 00:18

Originally Posted by kh99 View Post
OK, well I'm glad you responded before I added that option. But now I'm at a loss. I guess I could try to add some logging so I can actually help people who have problems instead of telling them "I don't know".
I was just curious if you found anything yet on this? Thanks in advance.
Old 05 Aug 2014, 16:22

Originally Posted by Chadi View Post
I was just curious if you found anything yet on this? Thanks in advance.
I haven't, sorry. What I meant by my last post is that unless I find time to add logging, I probably can't help. IIRC the mod actually has some messages in it but they just aren't written out anywhere, so maybe I can put them in a db table or something (or use the vb log, as I think someone else suggested a while back).
Old 05 Sep 2014, 19:40

just installed it done got one...nice add on... Thanks

edit: I do like the redirect thing...lol

Last edited by Kills; 05 Sep 2014 at 19:48.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 19:43

It will get alot more than that, this is a pretty cool mod.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 07 Sep 2014, 11:43

Hey Kevin, question. I am trying to get this to write to the DB, when there is a timer trigger, but it don't seem to work, here is what I tried.

Hook Location, register_start
Execution Order, tried 5 and 15

Code:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

But I believe it is not doing so, and it seems to stop the post from being added also.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 08 Sep 2014, 11:25

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
Hey Kevin, question. I am trying to get this to write to the DB, when there is a timer trigger, but it don't seem to work, here is what I tried....
I don't see anything wrong with that code. I'd have to have time to re-familiarize myself with how the mod works to be able to help more.