Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Spambot Stopper - Prevent Spambots from Registering Details »
Spambot Stopper - Prevent Spambots from Registering
Developer Last Online: Nov 2017 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 3.8.x Rating: (11 votes - 4.55 average) Installs: 63
Released: 01 Feb 2013 Last Update: 08 Mar 2013 Downloads: 311
Not Supported Uses Plugins Auto-Template Re-usable Code Translations  

What is it?
----------------------------
This mod rejects registrations where the form is filled out in less than a minimum time. You can configure one of the following actions to be taken when an automated registration is detected:

- Show a "No Permissions" page
- Display the "Successful Registration" message but without creating an account
- Redirect the user to any URL you choose
- Reload the registration page with an error message of your choosing

You can also provide a list of email addresses to be notified each time a registration is blocked.

In the future, I'd like to add some simple logging and statistics, and a summary type of email notification (because people seem to quickly get tired of the single emails).

Note: I coded this myself from scratch, but I would like to acknowledge a couple of previous mods that used this same idea, by users Calorie and noppid, and maybe others. In any case, I believe this one adds some features that the others don't have.

Other advantages: no ads or links, no abuse of update notifications, no disappearing features, no threats to delete the mod (it will never be deleted, at least by me). Also, translations are allowed.

Installation:
1) If you have "Is Bot", "Stop the Registration Bots", "Spammers Suck!", or another mod that works on registration time, note any admincp settings for that mod then uninstall it.

2) Import the product XML file from the Product Manager.

3) Go to Settings > Options > Spambot Stopper Options and configure the desired settings.

4) IMPORTANT: try to register a new user to make sure that there are no problems with humans registering. If you want, you can also temporarily set the minimum time to a higher value (like 60 seconds) and test to see if the spammer rejection is working.

History:
1.0.1 (Feb 1, 2013)
  • Initial Release

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	sg1.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	143567  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Anti-Spam Options Spambot Stopper - Prevent Spambots from Registering kh99 vBulletin 4.x Add-ons 499 04 Nov 2017 02:45

Old 24 Nov 2013, 18:18

Yes, http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=294633
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 08 Jan 2014, 11:15

I'm really impressed with how well this works!

My spamming registrations have gone from 20 a day to 1 in the past two days.

SWEEEEEETTTT!!!!
Old 05 Mar 2014, 07:02

Great mod , another mod / feature that should come as standard for vbulletin.
Old 04 Apr 2014, 05:16

Simple but very effective hack! Working perfectly on 3.8.7, thanks very much!
Old 13 May 2014, 03:39

So I have this installed and it's working great on a very large forum.... However about five times a day I get an email from a user complaining of this error on registration attempt:

Warning: include(phpwhois-4.2.2/whois.main.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [path]/register.php(81) : eval()'d code on line 98
See below?

Warning: include(phpwhois-4.2.2/whois.main.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [path]/register.php(81) : eval()'d code on line 98

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'phpwhois-4.2.2/whois.main.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in [path]/register.php(81) : eval()'d code on line 98

Fatal error: Class 'Whois' not found in /home/garagejo/public_html/forum/register.php(81) : eval()'d code on line 99
Any idea what could be causing this?
Old 13 May 2014, 09:05

Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
So I have this installed and it's working great on a very large forum.... However about five times a day I get an email from a user complaining of this error on registration attempt:

Any idea what could be causing this?
All I can say is that it doesn't look like anything from this mod. "whois" looks up domain names, so I would guess that maybe it's another mod that checks email domain or maybe the user's ip address. In any case, my mod doesn't include that file.
Old 14 May 2014, 01:46

Installed

Impressed with the idea

Thank you
Old 18 Dec 2014, 09:27

I installed it. It's so nonintrusive that there was no reason not to.

It would be nice with a log -- just a simple text-file -- that records at least the IP and time stamps. Not only is such a log necessary if a legitimate user complains that he hasn't received a mail. I'm also unable to vote on your product if I don't know what it's doing.

Another feature I miss -- but this is probably outside your scope -- is when a bot answers our human verification questions. It would be nice to know WHICH question the bot has successfully answered.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 10:55

I understand. If you read the vb4 thread you saw that logging was mentioned a lot of times, but I never got around to adding it. I actually had a verison where all the data was collected for logging (including the answer to the hv question, if that option was turned on), but I just never got around to completing it. I haven't completely given up on the idea.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 12:58

Originally Posted by kh99 View Post
I understand. If you read the vb4 thread you saw that logging was mentioned a lot of times, but I never got around to adding it.
Thanks for answering.

No, I haven't looked at the vb4 thread. I was just referring to the top of the present page, where you write, "In the future, I'd like to add some simple logging and statistics". I tried registering at my site a few days ago (before installing Spambot Stopper) and for some reason I never got a confirmation mail, even though hundreds of spam accounts were being created at the same time.

If Spambot Stopper had been installed I would of course have blamed it.

(including the answer to the hv question, if that option was turned on)
So it is possible?

That would be nice. We were hit by something like XRumer and several hundreds of accounts were added.

For years we have relied om questions/answers. When we were hit I switched to reCaptcha, which didn't slow them down in the slightest. Then I deleted the easiest questions (but not all) and added some new ones.

That solved the problem for now, but if Spambot Stopper could tell us which questions are being answered correctly -- before rejecting the bots -- we could stay one step ahead of the spammers.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 13:11

Well, I'm not sure when or if I'll get around to updating this. Now that I think about it I don't think the vb3 version is even up to date with the vb4 version. But in case this helps, a while back I wanted to know the same thing. I was wondering if spammers were registering by making many guesses of the questions or if they somehow knew the answers. So I found the section of code that checked the answer, and I edited the file and put in code to write information to a log file. But I guess you have to be able to do at least basic php programming to do that.

I'm going to think about that. Maybe it's possible to make a simple mod for that that wouldn't require file edits.

Last edited by kh99; 19 Dec 2014 at 14:11.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 20:34

So I found the section of code that checked the answer, and I edited the file and put in code to write information to a log file. But I guess you have to be able to do at least basic php programming to do that.
Great minds think alike. I did just that.

In the hook named "register_start / Check Elapsed Time" I added the following code after "$email = kh99_sbs_fix_string($vbulletin->GPC['email']);"

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Just alter "<some-path>" and "<some-file">" to proper names.

Thanks for the inspiration. I gave Spambot Stopper an "Excellent" vote. It's a good product and an excellent inspiration.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 20:53

Thanks, glad you figured it out.

And just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know php programming, but of course not everyone does so I didn't want to assume that you'd be able to do it yourself.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 21:00

I was wondering if spammers were registering by making many guesses of the questions or if they somehow knew the answers.
Wow. Within 10 minutes I have had 5 "visits" Each made 4 attempts but did not supply an answer.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 21:02

And just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know php programming, but of course not everyone does so I didn't want to assume that you'd be able to do it yourself.
No, that's fine. I've coded some php, but this is the first time I've touched a hook. It did take several tries.