Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Article Options
Old 23 Feb 2011, 14:11

As usual, great tut TLSman
Old 24 Feb 2011, 13:27

I'm a complete CSS novice so this is great for me (am working my way through the w3 page on CSS). However, I've looked everywhere I can think of, and as I'm still a novice I dont want to tinker too much just yet, but I can't for the life of me find where to change the default Times New Roman text for the "The Front Page" as the home page title. Really want to turn it into a sans-serif font.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 18:35

Originally Posted by fluidswork View Post
Thanks TheLastSuperman..... it helped me a lot in understanding how to resize the header ....
Great .

Originally Posted by fxwoody View Post
As usual, great tut TLSman
TY TY .

Originally Posted by yospeck View Post
I'm a complete CSS novice so this is great for me (am working my way through the w3 page on CSS). However, I've looked everywhere I can think of, and as I'm still a novice I dont want to tinker too much just yet, but I can't for the life of me find where to change the default Times New Roman text for the "The Front Page" as the home page title. Really want to turn it into a sans-serif font.
That default text/font style is in the stylevars if I remember correctly . Also did you know? you can create a "Child Style" of your main style used and tinker your heart out? Yes and without interrupting or causing display issues for your members using the "Parent Style".

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Old 26 Feb 2011, 15:44

At the cost of making just another "wow, this is great", post- I want you to know how much this thread is helping me make the journey from years of vb 3.7 bigotry to the world of VB4

I've applied a lot of hacks and skin/template customizations in my 3.7 that it was always going to be a royal pain to get converted. The stylevar redo alone was very difficult for me as the vb is really inadequate on explaining this. Having to use the search process for every last style variable is a stone age approach, and you need a good understanding of CSS so you can determine the correct inheritance. The video is a good one, but it assumes you understand the context, and many do not.

The tools you listed here really, really help. So - Thank you. I hope you have a beverage of choice on me

I'm sorry if my opinion on vb stock documentation concerning stylevars offends developers, but it is a sorry piece of work in that respect. Any time we only document 40% of something, it's better off left undone. And being an IT Architect (mainframe thru PC's) for 33+ years and writing white papers for a living, I figure I've got a slight insight on the matter. Maybe it's just too many years of having every last bit (and i do mean a bit as in 8 to a byte) defined in IBM manuals and being able base programming and process off such a foundation has spoiled me.

At any rate, Superman, you did me a good service here.

www.bitbenderforums.com Vb 4.1.3
www.jamgoodbluegrass.com vb 4.1.10

Last edited by bitbender; 26 Feb 2011 at 17:00. Reason: It's early, not enough coffee, and I can't spell
Old 27 Feb 2011, 04:14

Cool

Originally Posted by bitbender View Post
At the cost of making just another "wow, this is great", post- I want you to know how much this thread is helping me make the journey from years of vb 3.7 bigotry to the world of VB4

I've applied a lot of hacks and skin/template customizations in my 3.7 that it was always going to be a royal pain to get converted. The stylevar redo alone was very difficult for me as the vb is really inadequate on explaining this. Having to use the search process for every last style variable is a stone age approach, and you need a good understanding of CSS so you can determine the correct inheritance. The video is a good one, but it assumes you understand the context, and many do not.

The tools you listed here really, really help. So - Thank you. I hope you have a beverage of choice on me

I'm sorry if my opinion on vb stock documentation concerning stylevars offends developers, but it is a sorry piece of work in that respect. Any time we only document 40% of something, it's better off left undone. And being an IT Architect (mainframe thru PC's) for 33+ years and writing white papers for a living, I figure I've got a slight insight on the matter. Maybe it's just too many years of having every last bit (and i do mean a bit as in 8 to a byte) defined in IBM manuals and being able base programming and process off such a foundation has spoiled me.

At any rate, Superman, you did me a good service here.
Thank you so much for the sincere and kind words, I truly do appreciate your sentiment and I know things will become better on the documentation, it has recently so I look forward to it improving however we can't compare apples to oranges nor should we imo . As for the drink.. I'm not much of a drinker, it's just how things turned out after overdoing it very badly one night, many years ago in a galaxy far, far away .

Old 27 Feb 2011, 16:52

"Beverage of Choice"... Umm, I meant any kind of bev I too do not drink, unless it is somehting special, or anesthesia is needed (like an overextended visit of in-laws).

From all the years I have written code, good documentaation is good documentation. Doesn't mtter if it's a good set of comments in the code, or producted ia word doc, or PDF.

I do not accept the notion that doc is different because of what computing platform it represents. I have this "dialouge" all the time with mainframers, midrangers and Nix folks all the time. They too think it's differrent with the genre, but it really isn't. It can be done, just requires the time and effort, and in our leveraged societies, time to endeavors like that is not allowed by upper managment who have a "let them learn on their own dime" mentality. I know that my upper exec' at the large outsourcer I work at has this idea. leads to train wrecks in the technical ranks.

As the pioneers of open source, we can do much better.

www.bitbenderforums.com Vb 4.1.3
www.jamgoodbluegrass.com vb 4.1.10
Old 02 Mar 2011, 02:55

So helpful.

I am going to bookmark this and come back often

thank you
Old 02 Mar 2011, 09:29

Originally Posted by doc fluty View Post
So helpful.

I am going to bookmark this and come back often

thank you
Well each time post a question, after a few build up here in the thread I'll edit the article accordingly and add in more information .

Old 22 Mar 2011, 10:42

this has been very helpful, the only thing that could make this better would be if you added the stylevars used in each picture/part.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 00:54

I just want to say thank you for this great article. You made my day TheLastSuperman
Old 05 Apr 2011, 13:04

Hello again chief! I sent you a small PM for some advise.
Hope you don't mind ?!?

Cheers
Old 21 Jul 2011, 06:52

Very Informative. Thank You
Old 24 Jul 2011, 20:28

really great work ........ thank you
Old 27 Jul 2011, 11:49

I have seen you around and I must say you're truly the Superman of vB. This article will go a long way in helping me understand vB's theme & template system.

I have a question, how can I remove the header content (use the background as a replacement) as if the header content was crystal clear and you can whatever image you have in the background.

I hope I made some sense.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:26

Cool

Originally Posted by Sage Knight View Post
I have seen you around and I must say you're truly the Superman of vB. This article will go a long way in helping me understand vB's theme & template system.

I have a question, how can I remove the header content (use the background as a replacement) as if the header content was crystal clear and you can whatever image you have in the background.

I hope I made some sense.
Actually that's not as hard as some think and I've done it in a few styles, then using the background image made the style using it... for example here's a style where I did something similar - http://www.8bitfix.com/content/ now see how I've relocated the toplinks(login/welcome username) to the navbar and adjusted?

From another thread I helped in:

Create a new plugin:

AdminCP > Plugins & Products > Add new plugin

Product = vBulletin
Hook Location = process_templates_complete
Title = Login relocated to Navbar
Execution order = 5
Plugin PHP Code:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Plugin is active = Yes

Now view your site, it should be there however this was a "Basic How 2 Guide" now you'll notice right off the bat it's to the right a bit too much and depending on your screen resolution and/or max width on your site it could flow under the search so you must adjust CSS and more to make it look right for your site and Lynne supplied one of you plus it's posted above some tricks to adjust the toplinks css .

Now you can take all the code within the <div id="toplinks"> <div> and paste into the navbar then move around accordingly, review your header template and it should be something very short now i.e.

^ So as you can see once done your header template will be very "short" . You've now relocated the toplinks to the navbar and either need to adjust them OR you can still do other little things and achieve the same effect namely tellinlg the toplinks css to be so far from the top i.e. change top:0; to top:200px; or something along those lines and not to mention you can use the plugin and leave the login in the header using a conditional then showcase the userinfo when they are logged in somewhere else as well but both must use the appropriate conditionals.

Now for the background use the stylevars and tell it what images to use or simply overwrite it using additional.css *(You still may want to set some of the header stylevars to transparent so basically if it has in #41f3b7 as the color backspace that and type in transparent (only the word no # or anything else) and save over that stylevar.

Paste into additional.css and adjust to suit:

The true body css info is in vbulletin.css however upon upgrading you would overwrite it so best bet is to add your own definition to additional.css.

Original body css from vbulletin.css:

And there you have it in so many ways and words (lol) so make a *child style of your main style and then test this so your not disturbing your members with style glitches as you tinker along .

Similar Article
Article Author Type Replies Last Post
1923Turk DefRed Style (based on vB Default Style) staff80 vBulletin 3.6 Styles 7 21 Jan 2008 04:04