Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What chat application do you find best? Please explain why.
123flashchat 38 30.40%
addonchat 34 27.20%
avchat 9 7.20%
flashcoms 8 6.40%
flasherize 2 1.60%
gagalive 1 0.80%
gchats 7 5.60%
phpopenchat 4 3.20%
prochatrooms 5 4.00%
v3chat 17 13.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Aug 2008, 06:00

Why PJIRC not?
Old 02 Sep 2008, 08:33

pjirc is java client for irc server
not every user has access directly to an irc server
(in many cases company/university firewalls block connections on all other ports exept 80/http and 443/https)
furthermore irc has limitations to user nicknames and some nicks may be already used by someone else.

ps.
sparkweb seems interesting
i'll try to setup it to my server

Last edited by kako_paidi; 02 Sep 2008 at 08:38.
Old 02 Sep 2008, 20:40

sparkweb is great - that's what i use

www.mibbit.com is a great for irc as all members can use it - even behind firewalls.
Old 27 Sep 2008, 04:42

RealChat is very good out of the box and its the most good looking one (according to my taste) but I wouldn't recommend it to any developer out there or any demanding admin. You get stuck with the original features and look (you can only customize the colors and the graphics - but you have to keep the graphics the same size). Its closed source, even if you offer extra payment, so you can't make changes to the software by yourself and the developer refuses to do paid modifications. It also seems quite abandoned. You can't even change the smilie shortcuts or add/remove smilies (you can change the graphics though, as long as your new smilies are not animated and at the same size or smaller) and the predefined smilie shortcuts suck.

123flashchat
has more features and even though its closed source (it wasn't in the past, but it is now, sadly), you can pay for modifications. However, its customer support is terrible and its interface looks amateurish and its quite buggy. Its development isn't dead though, so we can hope for the future.

Digichat looks very nice and I got to know it better thanks to this thread. I haven't bought it, as I've already spent ~$1000 in the above products, so I'm not sure we can afford to try a third one, and I feel very sorry I didn't notice it more when I was searching. I had stumbled across their site, but I didn't appreciate the looks of the chat, so I didn't check the features as carefully as I should have. If I had done this, I would have seen that it can be very customized. I feel so stupid.
Old 27 Sep 2008, 13:28

Can a moderator please add the following options to this poll:
Digichat
Realchat
Parachat
Flashcoms
Sparkweb
Old 27 Sep 2008, 16:27

Hello,

EvoiceCafe We used for our voice chat. It is okay but limited to PC's and the technical support is not very good. Requires Active X and sometimes can be a big hassle to get users to be able to chat. Pricing is okay not great.

Parachat Is what we use for text chat. Not bad priced and easy to integrate with vb. Technical support is good. We have used Parachat for over 4 years now and are happy with it. Price is based on seats just as most programs. They have a hosted version or server which you can host your own.

We tried 123flash chat and had a very bad experience with tech support and decided it wasn't for us.

We currently use PalTalk for voice chat. Not bad Fairly easy to setup but does not integrate with vb currently. You can get a basic room for free or upgrade to more features etc for a small price.

Also have tried irc but let another person said unless you get on a small irc server names are limited and the learning curve for irc is a bit higher in my opinion. They do make some good Java front ends for irc but we choose not to go this route.

We are constantly look at chat programs but have not found the right one to use for both text and voice since we use it for meetings. Certain features we need that some don't seem to be higher priced and just have not found the right fit yet.

Those are my experiences with chats.

R.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 13:50

"Fast" is good. But I might give up a little speed if the app used 0 server load. In other words, sponsored chat - like an integrated Google Lively.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 00:40

I like to have control over all my software, including chat box. So I would only use something that can be installed on my server. And on your own server, low server load and speed are connected.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 01:08

I'm not really a fan of any chat scripts, IMO it takes away from the forum itself

Email me for website help: brandon[at]sheley[dot]org
Old 16 Oct 2008, 01:25

I bought Digichat and wish I hadn't. It was ok. Support was horrible and slow. Looking to get something else. I like the looks of 123flashchat but it's ridiculously expensive once you get the modules that you'd need so I dunno.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 01:26

The vbchat thread certainly has a lot of screenshots, and probably all the answers to your other questions. Do a search: vbchat-all mods-titles only

Anyway, that would be the place to ask questions after you've read through the whole thread.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 15:45

I would appreciate more opinions on what the best chat software is for boards that have a good number of active chatters.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:01

123flashchat unlimited version is ...... $1599
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:22

None of the above?
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:53

Originally Posted by Alfa1 View Post
I would appreciate more opinions on what the best chat software is for boards that have a good number of active chatters.
Me too actually. I have flashchat at the moment, which has gone to hell with the 5.x version (full of bugs).

Looking for mainly text based chat, ability to share photos, bad words filter, can handle up to 50 chatters at the same time, can install on my own dedicated server, allows for moderated chat, and preferably a one time fee. Video,whiteboard support, and file sharing is optional.

Anywhere up to $250.