Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Lightweight Style for VB3.8.7 iPhone/Mobile/Cell/PDA Details »
Lightweight Style for VB3.8.7 iPhone/Mobile/Cell/PDA
Developer Last Online: Apr 2019 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 3.8.7 Rating: (31 votes - 4.77 average) Installs: 245
Released: 18 May 2011 Last Update: 20 May 2011 Downloads: 1937
Not Supported Re-usable Code  

A few have asked for this, hope you like it.

As the title suggests, this is a lightweight style for vBulletin 3.8.7 (and probably most versions before that - A quick test showed it also working under vBulletin 3.7.7!)

It's lightweight (low bandwidth) and works well on most handheld / mobile devices. Some have been know to use it on their desktops and I personally use it for Google as a way of significantly reducing the bandwidth they use.

====================
Install Instructions
====================
  • Backup
  • Download and extract ZIP file locally
  • Upload contents of forum folder to your forum root
  • Go into your AdminCP->Style Manager->Download / Upload Styles
  • In the "Import Style XML File" section browse to "lightweight-vbulletin-3.8.7-style.xml" (extracted form the zip file)
  • If you are running a version of vbulletin other than 3.8.7, select Yes in "Ignore Style Version"
  • Click the "Import" button.
  • Edit the header template and change the 2nd line to reflect the Style ID of your default style and location of your home page (forum.php or index.php) and text for the anchor (Default Style).

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
    Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

• Return to vBulletin.org and click "Mark as Installed"
  • Reply to this thread leaving feedback and a rating
====================
Release History
====================
18th May 2011 - 1.0.0 Initial Release
20th May 2011 - 1.0.1 Bug Fixes and enhancements
====================
Screen Shots
====================
====================
Branding Free
====================
If you wish to remove the branding/copyright notice from the footer - send me a donation of an amount you can afford, or that you think is fair/reasonable, it's up to you how much. (can't get much fairer than that) You can do this by clicking the "Support Developer" link above (a few lines below the "Mark as Installed" link).

====================
Bugs fixes for next release
====================
Issue:
extra "> in template forumhome_forumbit_level2_nopost
Resolution:
Search for

Replace with

Issue:
Inconsistencies in disaplying locked forums
Resolution:
See this post

Thanks.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	10548
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	129195   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2.png
Views:	10367
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	129197  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Forum Style Lightweight Style for Small Screen Devices (cell phone, iphone, mobile, android) dartho vBulletin 4.x Styles 1133 17 Sep 2019 04:49
Add-On Releases Mobile Phone / iPhone / PDA Detection and Style Assignment dartho vBulletin 3.8 Add-ons 144 12 Aug 2017 03:52
Forum Display Enhancements Mobile Phone / iPhone / PDA Detection and Style Assignment dartho vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 407 19 Mar 2015 14:53
Mobile, Cell, Phone, PDA, iPhone Style dartho vBulletin 3.7 Styles 795 16 Aug 2012 13:39

Old 14 Jun 2011, 02:57

Oh lol. My bad, I must have DL'd 0.0 instead of 0.1

Thanks a lot mate!
Old 16 Jun 2011, 03:51

Lightbulb "Missing" status icons on the homepage

Btw, if you have enabled "Prefixes" on your forum homepage (to display specific icons for each forum) the "lightweight theme" images (status icons) will not show up on the lightweight skin's homepage.

I had to cut this piece of code from the lightweight skin templates (the specific templates are listed below) ...

... to be able to display default lightweight theme images (status icons) on the homepage.

forumhome_forumbit_level1_post
forumhome_forumbit_level2_nopost
forumhome_forumbit_level2_post
Attached Images
File Type: png missing status icons.PNG (17.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by bestmilan; 16 Jun 2011 at 04:10.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 04:19

Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
This is great that you have updated this for 3.8.7 and are not leaving the 3.x series behind! Downloading now!
ditto!
Old 16 Jun 2011, 13:39

Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
This is great that you have updated this for 3.8.7 and are not leaving the 3.x series behind!
I agree. 3.x rules!

I'm curious, does this have the auto-detect built-in or do I have to install the other mod?
Old 16 Jun 2011, 13:43

Originally Posted by MagicThemeParks View Post
I agree. 3.x rules!

I'm curious, does this have the auto-detect built-in or do I have to install the other mod?
It doesn't auto-detect.

(@BirdOPrey5) Former vb.org Moderator. Fighting for a free & independent vb.org.
BirdOPrey5.com - Exclusive VB Mods! (Formerly Qapla.com) | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I do not read my PMs often, do not expect quick replies.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 15:16

Check this post: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...7&postcount=56 for an updated autodetect based on vb's detect code in 4.x (ie. it allows over-riding)
Old 16 Jun 2011, 16:53

Installed. Most excellent. Thank you for this good work!
Old 17 Jun 2011, 01:29

Dartho, I'll be sending I've sent a donation in a moment for the brand-free option and to support your great work!

I have a question to ask though.

I have my default style (Sofia's Impact: http://www.unitedstateshistoryforum.com/) and I use the forums arranged in columns for the 'States' forums. When you switch to the mobile style (http://www.unitedstateshistoryforum.com/?styleid=3) it shows different icons than the ones being used on the other forums. How can I fix that? I noticed that post #62 has a possible fix, but is that the way to do it? Fix on that post didn't work for me.

I also just noticed a line through one of the threads: check here .... the only different thing about that thread is that it was an auto-thread from the social groups mod here. Any thoughts on what may be causing that?

Last edited by MagicThemeParks; 17 Jun 2011 at 02:29.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 03:07

Thanks for the Donation, it's appreciated.

Easy one first - the line through the thread is because it's closed. Probably not the best way to denote a closed thread, but ... You can change this to what you want by editing the lightweight.css.php file and searching for :

and changing to what you prefer or just remove that block to have closed threads treated the same as normal threads.

How do you arrange them in columns - is that a default vBulletin feature or an addon? Also, if you could turn on template names in HTML comments, that would help me track it down greatly.

Thanks
Old 17 Jun 2011, 04:03

@MagicThemeParks - it looks like you're using this addon http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99829

If you want the forums to display like standard forums in the lightweight style, you can edit the forumhome_forumbit_columncell template in the lightweight style and replace it's contents with the contents of the forumhome_forumbit_level2_post template (I think...)
Old 17 Jun 2011, 04:24

Thanks for the 'closed' suggestion. I'll see what I can think about using instead of the line-through.

Arrange in columns is a mod. I'll turn on the template names in HTML comments now to help you

EDIT: Saw that you added a post while I hadn't refreshed. LOL....I'll try that suggestion for the columncell template now.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 04:32

Originally Posted by dartho View Post
If you want the forums to display like standard forums in the lightweight style, you can edit the forumhome_forumbit_columncell template in the lightweight style and replace it's contents with the contents of the forumhome_forumbit_level2_post template (I think...)
Made the changes you suggested and it was almost there. But, it was showing as if the icons were missing because I was using the prefix images. So, I used the suggestion from bradhaskins in post #62 and that worked

Now, I just have to get the mobile style detect going and we'll be set!

Thanks for your help again Dartho
Old 18 Jun 2011, 03:54

Thank you dartho! This is a fantastic style. I see the auto-detect script that you outlined here and that should work great.

My question: Is there any way I can make it so if you're NOT using a mobile device that you can NOT select this style? The reason is my site depends heavily on CPM advertising, and since this is a lightweight style (light ads to possibly no ads), I'd prefer it not be user-selectable unless you are on a mobile device.

Any thoughts?
Old 18 Jun 2011, 11:54

Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
Thank you dartho! This is a fantastic style. I see the auto-detect script that you outlined here and that should work great.

My question: Is there any way I can make it so if you're NOT using a mobile device that you can NOT select this style? The reason is my site depends heavily on CPM advertising, and since this is a lightweight style (light ads to possibly no ads), I'd prefer it not be user-selectable unless you are on a mobile device.

Any thoughts?
AdminCP>Styles and Templates>Style Manager. Then uncheck the box for this style and click "Save display Order."

This will keep the style from being selectable by users but the automatic detection script will still be able to use it.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 02:33

Is there a reason it won't show custom logo? I've entered my logo into the CSS supplied, and the path is correct, but it wont show image, just the text of site name