Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Article Options
Old 30 Jul 2011, 19:41

Originally Posted by extreme-gaming View Post
ok. At least now we know that caching isn't the issue here. Actually... first... I want you to clear your browser cache and try again with those lines removed.
Clearing the cache on IE9 (CTRL-R) and on Firefox 4 had no affect.

So something else is interfering?
Old 30 Jul 2011, 19:42

Hi, I managed to login as avalanch on firefox 6 over there and didn't experience those issues.

Just tested with IE9, no problems.

Tested with my vb 4.1.3 boards with no htaccess rules removed. Managed to login fine with IE9 & Firefox. (use firefox all the time anyways lol)

Last edited by final kaoss; 30 Jul 2011 at 19:48.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 19:51

Hi, I managed to login as avalanch on firefox 6 over there and didn't experience those issues.
firefox 5? 4?

Hmmm when you login does the login at the top of the page say Welcome Avalanch, and give you the notification, My profile, settings, Logout?

or stay on the Login, username and password box?

After I login with firefox, I get redirected to the page and won't be logged in but If I refresh I will be.

It's a little wonky.

For instance, If I logout on the forums, but then go to the CMS tab, it will display as If I were still logged in
Old 30 Jul 2011, 19:56

Hi, go to http://tinychat.com/avalanch07 and I'll setup a cam so you can check out whats going on with the login on my side using firefox 6 & ie9

------------------------------------

It's been verified on my end (via tinychat) that this is not an issue with any tips that I provided.

Last edited by final kaoss; 30 Jul 2011 at 20:28.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 20:54

I had to remove the caching of several elements to get mine to work without causing a wonky logout and login for IE, and Firefox, I'll have to do more extensive troubleshooting to see exactly what it was, and will report later after I narrow it down.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 20:56

It's pretty interesting that it didn't happen on my end, only on yours.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 21:46

I've done Step 2 with Cloudflare CDN instead of using supercharged. Supercharged just causes problems.

Do not activate Rocket Load on Cloudflare though.

Step 4 United Forum Sprites actually slowed my site down.

I'll try Step 3 later.

--------------- Added 30 Jul 2011 at 21:51 ---------------

Step 3, you have to create a new domain and cname entry right? That's what page speed and webpagetest.org is telling me. It's telling me to put my whole images folder there.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 23:43

Step 3 deals with reducing the total KB of images & what kind of problems did supercharged cause?
Old 31 Jul 2011, 09:20

Thought I'd chime in with a note/tip - just be careful when implementing all this solely via .htaccess. If you have VPS or dedicated server you may already have some of the optimisations configured and setup directly via httpd.conf or httpd.conf include files (i.e. in whm/cpanel) which is the more optimal way of implementing these optimisations.

More online tools and tests for you to check your progress posted on my personal blog at http://vbtechsupport.com/388/

HTH

George
Old 31 Jul 2011, 16:17

Hi, how to use with vbseo?
Old 31 Jul 2011, 17:36

I don't have vbseo so I can't inform you much about that.

You will want to use vbseo's friendly url rewriting code in the htaccess instead of the one posted here though. So in your case, copy the contents of the htaccess file into the htaccess that vbseo creates. Remove the following code from it and save. I don't believe vb supercharged plays well with vbseo but I'm not sure.

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Last edited by final kaoss; 02 Sep 2011 at 02:15.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 17:45

How do you prevent static images from using cookies? I keep failing this in webpagetest.org.

Proper cookie usage: 40/100

Last edited by 8thos; 01 Aug 2011 at 15:53.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 17:59

I believe for that step domain sharding removes the cookies. I'll have to post back after I look it up a bit more.

YSlow recommends:

To work around this problem, make sure that static components are requested with cookie-free requests by creating a subdomain and hosting them there.

If your domain is www.example.org, you can host your static components on static.example.org. However, if you've already set cookies on the top-level domain example.org as opposed to www.example.org, then all the requests to static.example.org will include those cookies.

In this case, you can buy a whole new domain, host your static components there, and keep this domain cookie-free.

Yahoo! uses yimg.com, YouTube uses ytimg.com, Amazon uses images-amazon.com and so on.
http://developer.yahoo.com/performan...ml#cookie_free
Old 31 Jul 2011, 21:10

I believe for that step domain sharding removes the cookies. I'll have to post back after I look it up a bit more.

YSlow recommends:

To work around this problem, make sure that static components are requested with cookie-free requests by creating a subdomain and hosting them there.

If your domain is www.example.org, you can host your static components on static.example.org. However, if you've already set cookies on the top-level domain example.org as opposed to www.example.org, then all the requests to static.example.org will include those cookies.

In this case, you can buy a whole new domain, host your static components there, and keep this domain cookie-free.

Yahoo! uses yimg.com, YouTube uses ytimg.com, Amazon uses images-amazon.com and so on.
http://developer.yahoo.com/performan...ml#cookie_free
Would this work?

Admin CP/Cookies and HTTP Header Options

Path to save cookies / (leave blank)
Cookie Domain (use custom setting) www.the8thlegion.com

Then create CNAME entry A

subdomain: images.the8thlegion.com

Move images folder to images.the8thlegion.com or have the folder redirected to it?
Old 31 Jul 2011, 23:13

I believe from what I've been reading is that if your forum is in the root, then it sharding won't work (because the cookies affect any subfolders within, just like a htaccess does to folders if it's set at the root). Cookies will still be delivered. If you make a folder for your forum and move it there to like /forum, then the subdomain sharding would work to prevent cookies.

Last edited by final kaoss; 01 Aug 2011 at 00:30.

Similar Article
Article Author Type Replies Last Post
Mini Mods Use Google Custom Search In Navbar - Step By Step rajubd vBulletin 4.x Template Modifications 104 29 Jul 2017 14:43