Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01 Oct 2013, 20:10

Site Hacked

I'm sure your all sick of seeing this topic. I just took over a snowmobile Forum b/c previous Admin lost interest, and it was getting flooded w/ spam. I'm learning but I'm very limitied in my computer skills. I have been watching and deleting spammers out of my Forum trying to clean it up. At this point I have deleted the Spammers that got in and made themself admin's. I have had my site restored, changed all passwords, deleted Install directory, and looked thru the plug ins. My problem is I do not know how to identify if a file should be there or not, and the spammers very well may have a back door into my forum. I have contacted my hosting company and they can't help w/ trying to locate a back door. Is there a service that I can hire to help me with this that will be fair on pricing? any idea on what is even fair w/ pricing? Please help...
Old 01 Oct 2013, 20:44

Download the default files from vbulletin members area and apart from the ones for you plugins see what have been changed by going to your admin panel then maintenance/diagnostics/suspect file versions and replace the files needed if you see any files in there that are not part of vb or ur custom plugins delete them if you want to be sure reupload all vb default files again but delete the install folder and the config.php.new file
Old 01 Oct 2013, 21:02

Thank you for your response. I will attempt that tonight.

Wheh I looked through the plug ins I found one that was titled "Thank you the hack" I disabled it, I assume it's spam...??

Does anyone know of a service or a trustable person that I can hire to help me w/ this?

Last edited by carllaponte; 01 Oct 2013 at 22:01.
Old 01 Oct 2013, 22:48

The thank you hack is not spam
Old 01 Oct 2013, 22:51

I would do the following, to ensure everything is clean.

First you need to follow our advisory about deleting the install folder off your forums.

Then please read the following two blog posts:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs...ve-been-hacked

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs...vbulletin-site

Also please see these recent security announcements:

vBulletin 4.1.x-4.2.x & All versions of vBulletin 5: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-1-vbulletin-5
vBulletin 5.0.x patch released, for a different security issue: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...d-all-versions
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 02 Oct 2013, 17:13

carllaponte ,

Are you referring to a vbulletin 4 or 5 site ??

Latest Articles:
Liquid Layout = Less Ad Revenue?
How to Monetize Your Site
Improve Web Page Performance
How To Write For The Web

If it needs instructions, there's room for improvement.
Give users what they actually want, not what they say they want. And whatever you do, don't give them new features just because your competitors have them!
Old 03 Oct 2013, 15:40

Sorry posted this in wrong spot. I'm all good now. I hired socialteenz to fix damage from being hacked and also a list of many other items. Best move I have made since taken over this forum. I would reccomend socialteenz to anyone who is not an expert and wants their forum repaired. Thank you socialteenz!
Old 06 Oct 2013, 08:44

Folks who are getting hacked and have SSH/root user access that comes along with VPS or dedicated server hosting may have more tools available for them to properly clean up hacked forums and the left over infections. I just posted a summary guide here http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs...ting-ssh-users which basically is a small excerpt of the much larger 10 page guide ?http://vbtechsupport.com/2355/.
Old 06 Oct 2013, 10:11

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
Folks who are getting hacked and have SSH/root user access that comes along with VPS or dedicated server hosting may have more tools available for them to properly clean up hacked forums and the left over infections. I just posted a summary guide here http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs...ting-ssh-users which basically is a small excerpt of the much larger 10 page guide ?http://vbtechsupport.com/2355/.
Can that script be used for vb3.8.x ? seems like a great tool!
Please do not pm me for support unless i have invited you to!
Old 06 Oct 2013, 11:21

yeah it's originally for vb 3/4 and extended for 5
Old 06 Oct 2013, 11:42

Great, i'll look at that for my own amusement, i've not been hacked...etc but it would be good to get a benchmark from it to compare in future.
Old 07 Oct 2013, 11:29

Gonna try the tool out, thanks. :]
Old 14 Oct 2013, 21:32

Use this.
[OzzModz] Default Profile Tab

Forget this, wrong thread.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.

Last edited by ozzy47; 16 Oct 2013 at 16:50. Reason: update
Old 16 Oct 2013, 14:52

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
Errmmmm, Ozzy, wrong thread?
Old 16 Oct 2013, 15:10

I see that now, no wonder it did not show in the thread I wanted it to.