Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Display custom titles AND standard titles in posts Details »
Display custom titles AND standard titles in posts
Developer Last Online: Jun 2006 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 2.2.x Rating: (0 vote - 0 average) Installs: 13
Released: 11 Feb 2002 Last Update: Never Downloads: 11
Not Supported  

This is a small hack that I wrote several months ago. Originally it was only a template mod, then turned into a hack but remained in the template mods forum at vbulletin.com, so it never made it over here.

Basically, all it does is show both a custom title, selected by the user, and the user's standard title (Junior Member, Member, Moderator, etc.) in posts. It uses a custom profile field that you create through the admin cp to store the custom title.

As I said, it's an older hack by me, and was originally tested on 2.0.3. It still works for me on 2.2.2, though.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Comments
Old 11 Feb 2002, 11:29

Thanks, but, uhm... does this hack of yours mean that the users will enter their CUSTOM title in a User Profile Field? If so, then it's no good for me, see the link in my signature.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 02:52

I saw the link in your signature, and I really cannot understand at all what it is, exactly, you want. All my hack does is put a new profile field in a user's control panel for them to enter any custom title that they might want for themselves. The difference between this and the built-in Custom Title feature is that in a post, you will see not only the custom title, but the standard title, too.

It is just another custom user profile field. It's exactly what you wuold use if you wanted a field for, say, "My Pet's Name" or "Where I was Born" or "My Favorite Color." The ONLY reason why this is a hack is because I added custom code to functions.php that checks to see whether or not there is any value in this field, so that if there is NOT, then not even a blank line would show up where the custom title is supposed to go.

Now I see you talking about the glow effect...if you want the custom title to glow, all you have to do is add the appropriate HTML to the part you add to functions.php.

I'm sorry if this isn't exactly what you wanted, but I didn't make this hack for you, specifically...as I said, this is an older hack by me, released September 2001, originally as a template modification, which is why up until now, it was still left in the template mods forum at vbulletin.com. Since it had changed into a hack at the time, and nobody ever moved it to the hacks forum (despite me asking for that), it never got moved over here. The fact that you asked for something that I thought at least was similar to what I had already done prompted me to find this so I could point you to it, and failing to find it here, I realized it never came over here, hence the re-release at this time.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 07:11

done it, work sweet. thanks
Old 12 Feb 2002, 11:09

JJR, thanks, I appreciate. But my problem is that users want their own particular glow (i.e. user A wants a blue glow, user B a red, etc. etc.) and if I do this through a User Profile Field, the html code for a glow-tag will appear in their profile field line, However, the HTML code contains a " and that will screw up the layout of the page since it makes the system believe that it is the end of the Input Type Field's starting value, which it isn't of course. Now, if I were to have it work like the Custom Titles itself, the Current setting that a user has will not be displayed as a value in the profile field, but rather next to it (or above it), so that the field itself remains empty and won't have that " in it to mess up the table structure. That's why I need this to be outside of the User Profile Fields. (or find a method that will alter the submission of your Edit Profile page in the UserCP, so that it will UPDATE only when a user puts something in the field, and when not it won't remove it but instead, leave it alone).
Old 12 Feb 2002, 18:23

How about adding a second custom profile field, one where the user can enter the glow color he/she wants?

Currently, the code you add to functions.php is this:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

If you added a second field for the glow color, you could change the addition to something like this, assuming the new field's name was field6:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

This also checks to see whether or not there is a glow color specified, so that it won't try to make something glow if there's not color. Heck, if you wanted to, you could even make another custom profile field for the strength, which would be field7, and just replace strength=3 with strength=$post[field7]!

Hope that helps.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 18:50

Wow, Thanks, I think I can fix everything all at once with this, that was great! I'll implement it on my testboard and see how it goes, if it doesn't work I'll let ya know, and if it does I'll be back worshipping your 1337ness!

Thanks!
Old 12 Feb 2002, 19:54

IT WORKS!!!

Thanks - I'm gonna install it on my online board now! Many thanks, this solves so much problems now!

Old 12 Feb 2002, 22:30

i do this without file mods. just put $post[fieldx] in your postbit where x is the id # for the custom profile field for your custom title. custom profile fields can be made from the admin cp. no file mods needed.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 23:23

Jakeman, you should've read the thread before you posted. Normal user profile additions won't work with glows, that's the whole point here.
Old 13 Feb 2002, 04:59

Jakeman, in this hack, you DO add the custom profile field through the admin cp.

What the file modification does it prevents a blank line from showing up on the thread page if a user has not put in a custom title. It's just a simple little routine that checks for a value in $post[fieldX], and if there is one, it assigns the value of $post[fieldX] to $extratitle, and $extratitle is formatted to include a line break. If there is no value in $post[fieldX], a blank string is assigned to $extratitle. When you put $extratitle in the postbit template, you do NOT put a linebreak between it and the next line (which is the standard title); that way, if it's blank, there will be no empty line, but if it's not blank, the variable includes a line break to keep the flow right.

In other words, it's done strictly for appearance.

As I said, originally, this was just a template modification that I pointed out at vbulletin.com. Someone asked me how to surpress the blank line that would show up for users with no custom title, and that's how it evolved into a file modification hack.

Old 13 Feb 2002, 05:01

glowing isn't compatible accross all browsers and platforms so nya!

and glowing does work with custom fields, i just tested it.

meh, if it was me i would put a statement in my phpinclude instead of editing php files, but that's me, either way works for the spacing thingy. i hate editing php files, i will take templates over file mods any day, even if it adds more overhead to every page

Last edited by Jakeman; 13 Feb 2002 at 05:04.
Old 13 Feb 2002, 05:08

It's my understanding that if a browser does not support glowing, the plain text will still be seen. And as I just said, the main point of it being a hack is not to support glowing; that's just a neat side-effect that was possible, and I showed how to do it. As I just said, the MAIN purpose to this being a hack is so that a blank line does not show up in between the user name and standard title if there is no custom title.

What I mean is this. If this was NOT a hack, a user with no custom title would look like this in the author info area of a message:
User1

Registered

While a user WITH a custom title would look like this:
User2
Super-Cool Dude
Registered

It's the blank line for User1 in below his name and above his title ("Registered") that someone asked me to make not show up. That's why I had to turn it into a hack, so that now, User1 looks like this:
User1
Registered

While User2 continues to look exactly the same.
Old 13 Feb 2002, 05:09

What kind of statement would you put in your phpinclude template?
Old 13 Feb 2002, 06:23

sorry, i'm being a bit of a troll.

erm, you can put php code in your phpinclude template. you should be able to set up the condition in there, right?