Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 15 Nov 2014, 21:10

*Remember, needs to be boot-time scan if at all possible. Many malicious programs and such do not start working until the pc starts up. By scanning before this happens OR via a safe mode scan you're able to see it "dormant". Do the safe mode scan if boot-time is not offered via your anti-virus program because only a few very complex viruses and such can even run in safe mode - not many can so by running a boot-time or safe-mode scan your anti-virus can properly identify the virus and stop/remove it properly since it never "started up" per say i.e. the virus didn't have time to start and mask itself as something else.

Edit:
  1. Click Start
  2. In Search Box type "msconfig"
  3. Now a new window comes up "System Configuration" w/ some tabs
  4. Click on "Boot" tab
  5. Under "Boot Options" in the Boot Tab click on "Safe Boot" then select "Minimal"
  6. Click Apply
  7. Restart if prompted else close the dialog box and now restart.

^ When the pc restarts its now in safe mode, bring up your anti-virus and run a scan - some anti-virus programs will not work in safe mode where as many have the DOS style black box only in safe mode.

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!

Last edited by TheLastSuperman; 15 Nov 2014 at 21:23.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 21:19

am installing avast
Old 15 Nov 2014, 21:27

Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
am installing avast
Only thing about that is, many do not realize that if you're already infected with something - it can possibly infect any new software you install too.

If you have anything installed already, do the boot-time or safe-mode scan now before installing any new anti-virus. If you're stuff was old or not the best then you can install new but you were before warned that it could be compromised.

I know, I know - this is when it gets finicky but remember this is just to be safe - neither of us know yet if anything is even on your pc its just a matter of being cautious to find out now instead of later. I'd say probably not but I never clicked to download anything from them and I imagine they chatted with you like they started with me i.e. they were being pompous pricks and hinting about hacking your site or "what if you're site was hacked", didn't last long with me I just started blabbling nothing but pure bs to them and like morons they bought half of it - needless to say you fight fire with fire so if dealing with morons just act like one in return and it all works out to one giant laugh!

Old 15 Nov 2014, 21:49

ok, will listen to you
Old 15 Nov 2014, 22:48

Use this antivirus http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/smart-security it is the best one around I recommend smart security one here is a free trail if you want to try first
Old 16 Nov 2014, 00:09

Just boot in safe mode and run a full system scan of Malwarebytes. That's one of the best ways to find and get rid of infections.

Contact me for custom vBulletin 3/4 work & server/website management.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 00:24

Been running the one I posted above for 10 years and have never had anything it stops everything 100%
Old 16 Nov 2014, 00:27

Originally Posted by ForceHSS View Post
Been running the one I post above for 10 years and have never had anything it stops everything 100%
Yeah that is if you have it loaded, and running before you get hit. If you install it after the fact, it might not catch everything. That is why you need to do it in boot-time or safe-mode.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 00:36

Also you guys can run combofix as well if you are not windows8.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 01:08

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
Yeah that is if you have it loaded, and running before you get hit. If you install it after the fact, it might not catch everything. That is why you need to do it in boot-time or safe-mode.
When I installed it, I done it from a USB stick and before my laptop was connected to the internet this was when I got it new so there was no chance I got anything. And when you install it for the first time it does a first scan and if there was something there it would find it. I have never needed to format any of my laptops or desktop in the 10+ years I have had this installed
Old 16 Nov 2014, 01:19

I understand that, but that may not be the issue with Lionel's comp. As he might have been compromised already.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 01:57

Yes, that could be the case with his computer
Old 16 Nov 2014, 02:52

Originally Posted by ForceHSS View Post
Yes, that could be the case with his computer
I doubt it was. Anyway i am still scanniing 2 terabytes So i am using my iphone now

--------------- Added 16 Nov 2014 at 03:51 ---------------

Had to reboot. Anyway playing safe. Tomorrow am getting a new PC
Old 16 Nov 2014, 17:44

Erm cleaning should suffice, if anything take it to a local pc shop afterwards and ask how much for them to scan and confirm its clean etc.

Old 16 Nov 2014, 20:33

Originally Posted by TheLastSuperman View Post
That's a guess on my part. The reason why I suspect that is, why would the vb.org db have all that info within? License Number for license verification perhaps but not all of that...
Not entirely sure what you mean here, but vb.org does not have any licence information, and never has, its all stored in a vb.com licensing system.

Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Closed Thread