Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Mod Options
  #31  
Old 12 Nov 2007, 02:11
CSS59 CSS59 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Do you guys have a fully managed server with SoftLayer?
I have a large forum in need of a good server.........badly!
I need them to watch it 24/7 and make sure it's secure
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 13 Nov 2007, 19:18
amcd amcd is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
If you can manage your own servers and have a really big board, go to webnx.com. Great hardware, great pricing. They do configs the others would not even talk about. They maybe a little slow on new setups and upgrades sometimes, but they are always there when needed for support.

Been with them for 22 months. No complaints whatsoever.
__________________
eXBii.com - Indian community
no XB no fun know XB know fun !
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 27 Nov 2007, 17:37
ludachris ludachris is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Just received our server from our old host - Bizwala (formerly Ilon, formerly Remarkable). This was a fully managed dedicated solution, we had two servers with them. A few years ago before they lost their lead tech they were great. Since then I've had one of their dedicated servers with 15 of our sites get hacked into and was unrecoverable due to an old version of php/mysql installed. Upon trying to ask questions to get the problem fixed I was copied on an email that I was not supposed to read and found that the lead tech had called me an "idiot". Being the nice guy that I am I didn't realize he was referring to me right away. Needless to say I made plans to jump ship and find a new host that was more professional. I read countless reviews and found that Liquidweb had the type of support I needed. 24/7 phone support and great email support. They also stay on top of critical software updates on their own so I don't have to worry about it.

The sad thing is I had been with the my old host for years. The owner is a good guy and they had gone above and beyond many times in the past. But he needs more help from some more professional people. It's a small operation and the support tends to show it more than it should. It wasn't always like that.

Anyway, I'm extremely happy with the choice of Liquidweb.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 28 Nov 2007, 03:55
honestdave's Avatar
honestdave honestdave is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
we are paying $425 with our current host for
AMD dual opt dual core 280
4 gigs of ram
5x 16o gig drives


and they threw in a free reseller account, so I can setup some small sites here and there easily.

We use our current host because they have AIM support though.
__________________
designer jeans forum | designer jeans blog
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 28 Nov 2007, 06:38
attroll's Avatar
attroll attroll is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I purchased my owner server and here are the specs:

2x INTEL XEON 5345 2.33GHZ 8MB QUAD CORE, This is 8 cores
4x 2048MB Memory giving me a total of 8GB of memory
4x 250GB hard drive setup as raid 10 = 500GB total usage
1x 250GB as a backup drive
1x 250GB a spare drive

I did a colo with this server through colo4dallas. In my opinion if you are going to keep a big board up and running it is cheaper to buy your own server and colo it. Renting or leasing a server is putting money into someone else’s pocket. Over a period of one year with the price you pay for using someone else’s dedicated server you could have purchased your own server. I am paying Ĺ if not lower then what everyone else paying because I own my server. If you going to buy a server of your own get something expandable so it will grow with you.

Last edited by attroll; 29 Nov 2007 at 07:41.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01 Dec 2007, 18:20
Ian_W Ian_W is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Thanks for the info - we are currently at 1.25million posts - okay we only have a 100 or so online at anyone time, but I am thinking about moving the site away from the planet.

I had never heard of softlayer but will take a look

--------------- Added 01 Dec 2007 at 18:26 ---------------

just had a look shame they do not seem to do managed servers Any recommendations for a host that can manage servers?

Last edited by Ian_W; 01 Dec 2007 at 18:26. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01 Dec 2007, 19:03
Smitty's Avatar
Smitty Smitty is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Real name: Marc Smith
I just moved to Softlayer from the Planet because I was migrating a site and the person migrating it suggested Softlayer. The Planet was alway good to me and I may even move back in a month or so because of data transfer rate issues with Softlayer.

Comment: For those of you thinking of a dedicated server, if you don't know how to set up and manage a server you'll probably be paying lots of $$ for server management. Server management can cost you as much as, or more, each month than the server costs, not to mention it is difficult to find a really good management company or person that you can trust.
__________________
Elsmar Marc
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02 Dec 2007, 05:42
attroll's Avatar
attroll attroll is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Comment: For those of you thinking of a dedicated server, if you don't know how to set up and manage a server you'll probably be paying lots of $$ for server management. Server management can cost you as much as, or more, each month than the server costs, not to mention it is difficult to find a really good management company or person that you can trust.
This is a very true comment. You get what you pay for with someone else managing you server.

I went through two cheap server management companies that were recommended from posts I read on other web sites. Some server management companies know just enough to get by or have long response times. You want a company that knows servers and all the ins and outs. You also want one with quick response times. When you have a problem with your server you do not want to have to wait 12 to 24 hours for them to look at it. The company I have now I have been very happy with for $65 a month. Granted you can find cheaper ones but like I said you get what you pay for. As Smitty also said you can find some that also cost just as much as your dedicated server. But keep one thing in mind. If you have a good company set your server up for you and if it was done right you should never had to have them mess with your server again for you unless you want something changed or you mess something up. So why pay someone a lot of money monthly when they are doing nothing except scanning your server for viruses for you and a few other things
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02 Dec 2007, 09:26
Smitty's Avatar
Smitty Smitty is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Real name: Marc Smith
Originally Posted by attroll View Post
But keep one thing in mind. If you have a good company set your server up for you and if it was done right you should never had to have them mess with your server again for you unless you want something changed or you mess something up. So why pay someone a lot of money monthly when they are doing nothing except scanning your server for viruses for you and a few other things
Yes. The main thing is patches and stuff like upgrades that come out. Other than that, if set up correctly a server should pretty much run its self.
__________________
Elsmar Marc
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02 Dec 2007, 12:27
nyunyu nyunyu is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
At first reading this thread title, I am interested of knowing which host does you big boards guys use. But more and more I read, the post arent anymore related to the title. Why not the mods delete or move these unrelated post to other thread?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02 Dec 2007, 14:25
Zachery's Avatar
Zachery Zachery is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Real name: Zachery Woods
Originally Posted by attroll View Post
This is a very true comment. You get what you pay for with someone else managing you server.

I went through two cheap server management companies that were recommended from posts I read on other web sites. Some server management companies know just enough to get by or have long response times. You want a company that knows servers and all the ins and outs. You also want one with quick response times. When you have a problem with your server you do not want to have to wait 12 to 24 hours for them to look at it. The company I have now I have been very happy with for $65 a month. Granted you can find cheaper ones but like I said you get what you pay for. As Smitty also said you can find some that also cost just as much as your dedicated server. But keep one thing in mind. If you have a good company set your server up for you and if it was done right you should never had to have them mess with your server again for you unless you want something changed or you mess something up. So why pay someone a lot of money monthly when they are doing nothing except scanning your server for viruses for you and a few other things
Because when you're server goes down at 3 am on christmas I'm there fixing it.

System administration is a full time job, if you think a real system admin that you're paying top dollar for is just sitting around scanning for virirus and waiting for things to happen you're sorely mistaken.
__________________
Looking for ImpEx?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02 Dec 2007, 15:22
amcd amcd is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Originally Posted by Zachery View Post
Because when you're server goes down at 3 am on christmas I'm there fixing it.

System administration is a full time job, if you think a real system admin that you're paying top dollar for is just sitting around scanning for virirus and waiting for things to happen you're sorely mistaken.
It's no use. People will only learn from their own mistakes. And in this case it is quite normal for a person who has not faced a disaster to think that he is being charged for nothing special.

At the same time, you must also appreciate that there are entities out there who are charging the best rates for sub-standard services. Therefore, some of these opinions may be justified.

I learned my lesson long ago and decided to spend my time learning stuff. And I don't regret it.
__________________
eXBii.com - Indian community
no XB no fun know XB know fun !
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02 Dec 2007, 18:56
attroll's Avatar
attroll attroll is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Originally Posted by nyunyu View Post
At first reading this thread title, I am interested of knowing which host does you big boards guys use. But more and more I read, the post arent anymore related to the title. Why not the mods delete or move these unrelated post to other thread?
Sorry I am guilty for taking this off track. I was just trying to state that you could own your own server and only pay for bandwidth rather them paying a high monthly price for a dedicated server.

Originally Posted by amcd View Post
It's no use. People will only learn from their own mistakes. And in this case it is quite normal for a person who has not faced a disaster to think that he is being charged for nothing special.

At the same time, you must also appreciate that there are entities out there who are charging the best rates for sub-standard services. Therefore, some of these opinions may be justified.

I learned my lesson long ago and decided to spend my time learning stuff. And I don't regret it.
Zachery

I was not insinuating that you sat around doing nothing. What I was trying to say was if the end user (people like me) do not mess around with there server settings then there is not much that will go wrong as long as then get a server management team that does what they are suppose to do. Paying hundreds of dollars for server management support is not required. Sometimes when you pay that much you are not getting any better support then what some of the lower priced companies give you. There are some companies that charge too much to do the same things as the lower priced company does. What it all boils down to is if you are paying $25 a month for server management support you get what you pay for. Which is most likely someone doing nothing or very little and getting paid for it. The person that is looking for a company to manage there server has to do there research.

When I started out I tried two companies that charged between $25 and $35 and did not know all the crap they stated they knew in their write-ups or they hired help that had little experience. The reason I know this is because I know a little about servers and when I was asking questions about some issues the answers they gave me were incorrect and they were trying to baffle me with crap.

Right now I have a great server management company and if my server goes down at 3 am on Christmas day, I know I have a support team that will be right on it.

Sorry I said that you sit around doing nothing. I worded that statement wrong. I know that a good team keeps everything up to date and does more then checking for viruses. I was just trying to say that you donít have to pay over $100 for a good server management company.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04 Dec 2007, 18:01
Zachery's Avatar
Zachery Zachery is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Real name: Zachery Woods
Originally Posted by attroll View Post
Sorry I am guilty for taking this off track. I was just trying to state that you could own your own server and only pay for bandwidth rather them paying a high monthly price for a dedicated server.


Zachery

I was not insinuating that you sat around doing nothing. What I was trying to say was if the end user (people like me) do not mess around with there server settings then there is not much that will go wrong as long as then get a server management team that does what they are suppose to do. Paying hundreds of dollars for server management support is not required. Sometimes when you pay that much you are not getting any better support then what some of the lower priced companies give you. There are some companies that charge too much to do the same things as the lower priced company does. What it all boils down to is if you are paying $25 a month for server management support you get what you pay for. Which is most likely someone doing nothing or very little and getting paid for it. The person that is looking for a company to manage there server has to do there research.

When I started out I tried two companies that charged between $25 and $35 and did not know all the crap they stated they knew in their write-ups or they hired help that had little experience. The reason I know this is because I know a little about servers and when I was asking questions about some issues the answers they gave me were incorrect and they were trying to baffle me with crap.

Right now I have a great server management company and if my server goes down at 3 am on Christmas day, I know I have a support team that will be right on it.

Sorry I said that you sit around doing nothing. I worded that statement wrong. I know that a good team keeps everything up to date and does more then checking for viruses. I was just trying to say that you donít have to pay over $100 for a good server management company.
You're not in the right class though either, I've been a system and network administrator for both private clients and coperations.

When I think big board now adays I think 3-5 servers.
__________________
Looking for ImpEx?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04 Dec 2007, 18:22
attroll's Avatar
attroll attroll is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Originally Posted by Zachery View Post
You're not in the right class though either, I've been a system and network administrator for both private clients and coperations.

When I think big board now adays I think 3-5 servers.
Sorry I did not mean this to turn into a debate. I was simply suggesting to one person that it is cheaper in the long run to purchase your own server rather then rent or lease a server and that is a fact. I am not going to debate this anymore.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Mod Options

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 18:52.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: