Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Old 03 Jan 2008, 01:57

Originally Posted by FlyBoy73 View Post

You're doing 60GB of bandwidth over the public network per day with GlockTalk?
Yep. we did 67.6GB yesterday. That is just the outbound interface for GT. Eric
Old 03 Jan 2008, 20:57

Wow, pretty good Eric.. Long way from back in the late 90's.. I am/was a member back in 99, I think, though I forgot my PW and no longer have that email address to recover with. (Sniper151?)

I can actually thank you / GT for getting me back into the forum/BBS world.. When I decided to open up a couple forums, I studied GT a fair amount.. Glad to see you got away from those T-1's and doing it at home.. I know that must have been painful at times..

David
Old 04 Jan 2008, 10:49

Originally Posted by attroll View Post
Sorry I did not mean this to turn into a debate. I was simply suggesting to one person that it is cheaper in the long run to purchase your own server rather then rent or lease a server and that is a fact. I am not going to debate this anymore.
I never noticed your response, however what happens when it comes to catastrophic server failure? Ram goes bad? HardDisk Crashes? You've got to drop ship new hardware to the colo facility, wait downtime, etc.
Old 04 Jan 2008, 12:47

This is an endless debate. The are both pros and cons to either way of doing things. I would not colo. I prefer to rent my servers, just like Zachery.
Old 04 Jan 2008, 18:20

Originally Posted by Zachery View Post
I never noticed your response, however what happens when it comes to catastrophic server failure? Ram goes bad? HardDisk Crashes? You've got to drop ship new hardware to the colo facility, wait downtime, etc.
As Amcd said this is an endless debate but to answer your question, you need to research your colo ahead of time and to make sure they have these types of spare parts onhand and will install them. I would never use a colo that does not have spare parts onhand.
Old 04 Jan 2008, 18:34

Originally Posted by Zachery View Post
I never deal with less then 3 servers. If you only have one server, ya... in a way you are right if you don't have a collocation center near your house. But still, why pay $250/month when you can get it for $70?

This is a good technique: Buy another server, keep it at home and sync data on it from the live server. You will have 2 possibilities:
1. Your site gets busier, so you can use that server as worker... with all data already synced on it. Then you buy a third server and do the same.
2. Your server is getting defective. It takes me 10min to drive to my data center and another 5 to replace the faulty server. Then I get it serviced by a Dell technician who replaces the defective hardware. In one day, my server is up and running again. If you are afraid that your server will blow and you do not want to ship the server, simply have it hooked in their data center as sync server, so you can switch to it any time.

In other words, you save every year at least $2,000 if you do not rent. You can buy a new machine every year with the money saved. Now, please tell me it is better to rent.

I only buy Dell machines (1950's more exactly). Their servers are very solid and I never had any problems with their service... ultra fast. I stick with Dell because of the great prices you get for the equipment.

If you tell me that Dell is crap, you know nothing about their servers.
They are one of the best on the market, Supermicro quality without the price.
Why Queued - My personal blog
Old 06 Jan 2008, 00:09

SoftLayer is my first choice
Old 07 Jan 2008, 18:15

I agree, Softlayer is the best for renting servers.

They have top of the line equipment and their prices are very good.
Anyone tried to negotiate prices with them?
Why Queued - My personal blog
Old 12 Feb 2008, 05:25

what's their website?
Old 22 Feb 2008, 07:28

i was with the planet, moved on to fdcservers for now, they have been great. tho you need have some *nix knowledge since they don't provide free support x_x
Old 22 Feb 2008, 08:50

You're paying for them? Yet, they don't provide 'support?' What kind of hosting are they? And what are you even thinking?!?

I know a host that has a dedicated server, but they won't help me. So, I don't bother with them.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 20:19

It's called unmanaged hosting and is the preferred way to get a dedicated server. It is much cheaper than paying for a full managed dedicated server.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 20:36

Originally Posted by AWS View Post
It's called unmanaged hosting and is the preferred way to get a dedicated server. It is much cheaper than paying for a full managed dedicated server.

exactly is cheaper and if i know what im doing, why i need to pay for something i wont use? is not like i ask for support every day... every once in a while i might get stuck but google is my friends so.. meanwhile i save more cash

oh and to clarify i have a dedicated server, thats why i need to do things myself is un-managed
Old 22 Feb 2008, 21:06

Yes, but the downside to that is when you are sleeping, on vacation, etc.. If it doesn't matter that your server is off line or unavailable until you wake up, then that is fine, but for myself and many others, 10 minutes offline is too much, especially when it is because we were not aware of it.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 23:20

yeah, true.. you got a point there, but since am always online it's ok for me.