Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Mod Options
  #1  
Old 12 Mar 2008, 01:14
FreeLunchRoom FreeLunchRoom is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Server Optimization

I need some help with server optimization. We already have a thread over at vbulletin.com:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262464

But it's really not doing anything. Do you know of a company that can help or can you guys share some of your my.cnf settings?

We have 50,000+ members, over 1.3 million posts, and an average of 250 new members a day.

Whenever we have over 550 members simultaneously on the site, our server load can shoot up to 20+ which is insane. Our hardware is pretty well set up, one ded server for the db and one for the forum. Again, all the technical specs are in that vbulletin thread.

ANY help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Comments
  #2  
Old 12 Mar 2008, 05:24
SEOvB's Avatar
SEOvB SEOvB is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Real name: Jarvis
i know this is gonna sound stupid, but did you make the DB specific changes to the DB server and the http optimizations to that server?
__________________
vBulletin Services and vBulletin Hosting
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12 Mar 2008, 05:53
Ted S Ted S is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Since you're already getting help with the server setup let's delve into what's being run to make you have issues so much earlier than the "average" site.

Do you have any hacks installed? Multiple templates? Custom code you wrote?

When you say 600 memebrs, is that including guests or not? What's your total activity and guests to member ratio?

Have you run any sort of slow-query report to see what (if anything) is getting caught up?
__________________
New features released for Product Review Forums 1.3 (4.0)
Helpful Answers (3.8) (4.0) | Limited Guest Viewing (3.8) (4.0)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12 Mar 2008, 07:39
FreeLunchRoom FreeLunchRoom is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Originally Posted by FRDS View Post
i know this is gonna sound stupid, but did you make the DB specific changes to the DB server and the http optimizations to that server?
Yup.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12 Mar 2008, 07:43
Angel-Wings's Avatar
Angel-Wings Angel-Wings is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
http://forge.mysql.com/projects/view.php?id=44

did you try using that tool already ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12 Mar 2008, 07:43
FreeLunchRoom FreeLunchRoom is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
Do you have any hacks installed? Multiple templates? Custom code you wrote?
Yes, vbulletin blog, vbseo, ibproarcade, flashchat and vbadvanced. Installed but not inuse: mass pm, mgc chatbox, payment system lite.

Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
When you say 600 memebrs, is that including guests or not? What's your total activity and guests to member ratio?
Yes, that includes guests. Out of 600 users, I would say 475 - 525 are registered members.

Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
Have you run any sort of slow-query report to see what (if anything) is getting caught up?
No, not yet...where can I do this? Is this within vbulletin?

--------------- Added 12 Mar 2008 at 07:46 ---------------

Originally Posted by Angel-Wings View Post
http://forge.mysql.com/projects/view.php?id=44

did you try using that tool already ?
No, I will try it tonight and report back tomorrow.

Last edited by FreeLunchRoom; 12 Mar 2008 at 07:46. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12 Mar 2008, 08:11
andrewkhunn andrewkhunn is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
What kind of a connection do you have between the two servers?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12 Mar 2008, 09:11
FreeLunchRoom FreeLunchRoom is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Originally Posted by andrewkhunn View Post
What kind of a connection do you have between the two servers?
I can't remember off the top of my head but it's not the problem. The server load is what is really bothering me. Just spikes when there are a lot of users on it. We're talking server load averages of 50 and higher.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12 Mar 2008, 09:39
Marco van Herwaarden Marco van Herwaarden is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
How do you know it is not (part of) your problem if you don't even remember?
__________________
Marco van Herwaarden
Ex vBulletin.org Coordinator
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13 Mar 2008, 00:26
FreeLunchRoom FreeLunchRoom is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Originally Posted by Marco van Herwaarden View Post
How do you know it is not (part of) your problem if you don't even remember?
The servers are literally right next to each other....so it should be more than enough.

--------------- Added 13 Mar 2008 at 00:26 ---------------

From doing more research it looks like our PM table are so huge its becoming corrupt...the database structure formating is odd...has anyone tried other db formats?

Last edited by FreeLunchRoom; 13 Mar 2008 at 00:26. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13 Mar 2008, 03:06
andrewkhunn andrewkhunn is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Your posts aren't making much sense. How big is your PM table?

Also, the connection between the two servers matters because if connections between Apache and MySQL are being routed through 10mbps wire, you're going to have load issues while processes stack on top of one another waiting for communication.

I was experiencing symptoms similar to what you are describing when my servers were unknowingly auto-negotiating at 10mbps. Once I got upgraded to 100mbit everything evened back out. Also, their physical distance has little/nothing to do with it.

--------------- Added 13 Mar 2008 at 03:08 ---------------

Also, please run this script and copy/paste the output here (between 2 code brackets): http://forge.mysql.com/projects/view.php?id=44

Last edited by andrewkhunn; 13 Mar 2008 at 03:08. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13 Mar 2008, 06:33
FreeLunchRoom FreeLunchRoom is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Originally Posted by andrewkhunn View Post
Your posts aren't making much sense. How big is your PM table?

Also, the connection between the two servers matters because if connections between Apache and MySQL are being routed through 10mbps wire, you're going to have load issues while processes stack on top of one another waiting for communication.

I was experiencing symptoms similar to what you are describing when my servers were unknowingly auto-negotiating at 10mbps. Once I got upgraded to 100mbit everything evened back out. Also, their physical distance has little/nothing to do with it.

--------------- Added 13 Mar 2008 at 03:08 ---------------

Also, please run this script and copy/paste the output here (between 2 code brackets): http://forge.mysql.com/projects/view.php?id=44
It is 100mbit. Will run the query and paste it. But we rebuilt the PM table and seems to have cooled down a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13 Mar 2008, 08:47
andrewkhunn andrewkhunn is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Also, what kind of hard drives do you have? I know they're RAID1, but what interface and rotational speed?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13 Mar 2008, 09:21
Marco van Herwaarden Marco van Herwaarden is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Also are you sure that they have (and are using!!) a direct connection. Seen before that 2 servers next to eachother where routing their inter-server traffic over the outside internet connection.
__________________
Marco van Herwaarden
Ex vBulletin.org Coordinator
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13 Mar 2008, 14:29
Princeton's Avatar
Princeton Princeton is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Real name: Joe Velez
In addition to the server suggestions at vbulletin.com.

Upgrade MySQL.

Make sure you have the latest Apache 2 - we also had problems with a particular version. (Don't remember which one.)


Check the # of queries running on your site (per page) ...

Check each custom query and make sure
1)__ they are optimized
2)__ are using index whenever possible
3)__ ensure that SELECTs are retrieving from the SLAVE server and not the MASTER (check processlist)

NOTES
- only use necessary plugins - those that add value to your site
--- I recommend removing the arcade.
- vbseo has all their queries fetching from MASTER.
- vbadvanced - I'm sure there's some queries that are going to MASTER when they should be going to SLAVE.
__________________
Latest Articles:
Liquid Layout = Less Ad Revenue?
How to Monetize Your Site
Improve Web Page Performance
How To Write For The Web


If it needs instructions, there's room for improvement.
Give users what they actually want, not what they say they want. And whatever you do, don't give them new features just because your competitors have them!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Mod Options

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:19.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: