Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27 Oct 2015, 14:53

Originally Posted by Alan_SP View Post
Is there any ETA on 4.2.4? Some link where they mention it?
Beta 1 is due in November, its mostly for some Mapi updates for mobile 1.11. There are some minor bug fixes, and an update to attachments to stop the fixed deletion code removing old corrupted attachments.

And yes, I noticed big slowdown even on vB5. Maybe they started working on vB6, abandoning vB5?
Nope, just less people to work on it, tho Kevin has now returned after his summer away. The next release should be 5.2.0.

Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 20:41

Well, you're certainly insider.

Is there any plans about bringing back hooks in vB5, or vB6, or hooks for now are abandoned completely?

And what do you propose upgrade wise, first to upgrade PHP, or first to upgrade vB (with site closed to public) and then PHP, when upgrading to 4.2.4?
Old 28 Oct 2015, 16:23

Alan,
I am not super skilled but it did take me many months to upgrade. I have good internet but when I ran the script it would get to about 80% and just sit there.
I had the idea of putting all the files in and then got one of the guys at the hosting to run the script as they have fast internet and maybe connected direct to server. They ran it and it worked. I do not know why or what was wrong, just relaying my experience.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 05:42

There have been reports of attachments going missing or breaking after this upgrade.

Let us take care of your forum, seo, seo reports, maintenance, what ever you need.

Old 29 Oct 2015, 22:29

Well, you're certainly insider.

Is there any plans about bringing back hooks in vB5, or vB6, or hooks for now are abandoned completely
Hooks (for vB5) are part of 5.2.0

Cable Forum
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 22:30

Originally Posted by RichieBoy67 View Post
There have been reports of attachments going missing or breaking after this upgrade.
Hence what I mentioned in post 16.

Cable Forum
Old 29 Oct 2015, 23:14

Originally Posted by Wisc View Post
I had the idea of putting all the files in and then got one of the guys at the hosting to run the script as they have fast internet and maybe connected direct to server. They ran it and it worked. I do not know why or what was wrong, just relaying my experience.
Yes, every upgrade can go wrong. I usually do all work on the server (not working with FTP, but with SSH), and after all is ready, I start upgrade script with browser. But, you never knows what can go wrong. So I also make backup files before I start work on upgrade and also test everything on my test installation, so I can have idea what to expect on my live site.

You always need to prepare yourself and test things in advance.

--------------- Added 29 Oct 2015 at 23:15 ---------------

Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Hooks (for vB5) are part of 5.2.0
Well, this certainly looks as a good news, it would make vB5 more appealing to users (well, site admins).
Old 05 Nov 2015, 22:05

One interesting observation.

On my server I use Plesk. And it has option to have concurrently installed many PHP versions (created by Plesk team) and that versions can be changed on the fly for each website.

Interesting thing is, I changed PHP version for my test site (which is still vB4.1.12) to PHP 5.5 and everything works just fine.

I thought that 4.1.12 wouldn't work with newer PHP versions. Or is it that only some errors are showed? Or some mods don't work (didn't tested extensively everything)?

Anyway, it looks like everything works. Of course, I still plan to upgrade, but it looks like interesting thing to see vB4.1.12 work on PHP5.5