Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08 Jun 2019, 22:09
SilverBoy SilverBoy is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Real name: Malik
Is vBulletin still a choice?

Hi there

I want to launch new project, which depends on WordPress as CMS platform, and I want to build a community in this project, so all suggestions that I get referring to use Buddypress/bbPress, but as you know the bbPress forum is poor in regarding to legacy forums features, but it has strong advantages specially when we talking about integration with WordPress and for support.

I want to give vBulletin a try before make my final decision, and as we all know vB4 still preferred by site owners over using vB5, and I know vb very well and use it from 2001 in my site.

So what do you think? can I use vBulletin in this project and try to make some customization to suite what I need, or this will be stupid decision?

Interesting to read your opinions.

Sincerely Yours.
__________________
One of highly customized vBCMS used for news site.
www.manshor.net
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08 Jun 2019, 22:30
In Omnibus's Avatar
In Omnibus In Omnibus is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Real name: Kris
I think you should use vBulletin 5 over vBulletin 4 or WordPress. I'm not sure what you've heard about it but it's the best option for bloggers who also want a forum.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08 Jun 2019, 22:39
SilverBoy SilverBoy is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Real name: Malik
Originally Posted by In Omnibus View Post
I think you should use vBulletin 5 over vBulletin 4 or WordPress. I'm not sure what you've heard about it but it's the best option for bloggers who also want a forum.
Thank you for your reply, and let me explain a little bit ..
As you know vB4 has long set of products to do almost anything you need, in another hand vB5 has small list of plugins available in the market.

For my purpose I need WordPress not a simple blogging platform, the needs for a forum just to hold the community part.
__________________
One of highly customized vBCMS used for news site.
www.manshor.net
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09 Jun 2019, 00:44
In Omnibus's Avatar
In Omnibus In Omnibus is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Real name: Kris
Originally Posted by SilverBoy View Post
Thank you for your reply, and let me explain a little bit ..
As you know vB4 has long set of products to do almost anything you need, in another hand vB5 has small list of plugins available in the market.

For my purpose I need WordPress not a simple blogging platform, the needs for a forum just to hold the community part.
What is it you think WordPress does that vBulletin 5 does not do? Maybe you're right but there is no bridge between vBulletin 5 and WordPress and vBulletin 4 is no longer being developed so at some point it's not going to work with the SQL and PHP standards. There are good portions of the code that are not even HTML5 and CSS3 compliant. I wouldn't advise anyone to use it to begin a new forum for those reasons.

If you absolutely need WordPress you can set it up as your index page and have the forums as a subordinate URL but as someone who has been using vBulletin 5 since its initial release and and WordPress since its initial release I can tell you that for most intents and purposes vBulletin 5 does everything WordPress does and some things WordPress does not do.

I'm not paid to sell vBulletin so I'm not pushing it on you but using one solution is always easier than using two different ones.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10 Jun 2019, 00:26
SilverBoy SilverBoy is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Real name: Malik
Thank you In Omnibus

There are 2 reasons to not use vB5 in this project, the first one is lake of bridge software between it and WordPress and the seconed is the poor support from plugins developers community.

Thanks.
__________________
One of highly customized vBCMS used for news site.
www.manshor.net
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10 Jun 2019, 23:38
final kaoss final kaoss is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Yes I agree that there's poor support for vbulletin 5, considered by many to be a flop and a major reason for board owners to move away from vbulletin.

Now vbulletin 3 and 4 both are still widely supported and have new mods coming out from time to time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10 Jun 2019, 23:49
In Omnibus's Avatar
In Omnibus In Omnibus is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Real name: Kris
Originally Posted by SilverBoy View Post
Thank you In Omnibus

There are 2 reasons to not use vB5 in this project, the first one is lake of bridge software between it and WordPress and the seconed is the poor support from plugins developers community.

Thanks.
Glenn Vergara might take exception to the poor support from plugin developers comment.

The problem is more that most of the third party developers here were hackers, not real coders. They were frightened and confused by the API and the lack of hooks.

You can go to another platform but you're going to pay every time they upgrade and you're going to pay for every mod or add-on individually. It gets expensive quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15 Jun 2019, 02:53
SilverBoy SilverBoy is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Real name: Malik
Thank you again In Omnibus, and yes Glenn Vergara make very nice work, but I think he is alone in the market right now, so plugin developer community can't depends on only one creative man like him!!
__________________
One of highly customized vBCMS used for news site.
www.manshor.net
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27 Jun 2019, 14:57
delicjous's Avatar
delicjous delicjous is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Originally Posted by SilverBoy View Post
Thank you again In Omnibus, and yes Glenn Vergara make very nice work, but I think he is alone in the market right now, so plugin developer community can't depends on only one creative man like him!!
Just want to invite you to visit my forum :-)
__________________
vBulletin-forum.de | Das deutschsprachige vBulletin 5 Forum! | Widgets, Mods und Anleitungen auf deutsch.
Team online, Latest Profile-Visitors, Disable-Postcount, Auto-close Threads, Latest Likes, Top-Posters PRO, New&Free: vB5 MemberMap
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27 Jun 2019, 15:55
webmastersun's Avatar
webmastersun webmastersun is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Originally Posted by SilverBoy View Post
Hi there

I want to launch new project, which depends on WordPress as CMS platform, and I want to build a community in this project, so all suggestions that I get referring to use Buddypress/bbPress, but as you know the bbPress forum is poor in regarding to legacy forums features, but it has strong advantages specially when we talking about integration with WordPress and for support.
vBulletin is still my choice for forums, you can start with vBulletin and in the case you want to try another forum software you still can move it to another one without any problems.
__________________
The best webmaster forum & internet marketing forum for webmasters and internet marketers.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27 Jun 2019, 18:16
In Omnibus's Avatar
In Omnibus In Omnibus is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Real name: Kris
Originally Posted by delicjous View Post
Just want to invite you to visit my forum :-)
I should apologize for forgetting you.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28 Jun 2019, 18:51
The Boss66 The Boss66 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Xenforo 2.1 Forum software is they say forward
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 28 Jun 2019, 19:30
In Omnibus's Avatar
In Omnibus In Omnibus is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Real name: Kris
Originally Posted by The Boss66 View Post
Xenforo 2.1 Forum software is they say forward
No, it's the way backwards. vBulletin 4 was where XF is almost ten years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28 Jun 2019, 20:17
SilverBoy SilverBoy is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Real name: Malik
Originally Posted by delicjous View Post
Just want to invite you to visit my forum :-)

Good work delicjous

--------------- Added 28 Jun 2019 at 20:18 ---------------

Originally Posted by webmastersun View Post
vBulletin is still my choice for forums, you can start with vBulletin and in the case you want to try another forum software you still can move it to another one without any problems.

What version do you prefer webmastersun?
__________________
One of highly customized vBCMS used for news site.
www.manshor.net
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29 Jun 2019, 21:00
The Boss66 The Boss66 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Originally Posted by In Omnibus View Post
No, it's the way backwards. vBulletin 4 was where XF is almost ten years ago.
Really, not sure where you get something like that from, XF2.1 is far superior than vb4 ever was and vb5, well don't even want to go there.
XF1 was in the same league as say vb4 was...

I was around back in the end of the Vb3 days then into the Vb4 days and this place was buzzin, but now look at it.

A lot and I say a lot of the older vb 3 and 4 guys are on XF along with some great old vb addon/modification guys from here in the past, not much at all goes on with the addon/modification side of things here now is there.

Even DragonByte has moved onto XF with their official site and also production of their addons/modifications..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
End-User Options New Member - Email Choice vBulletin 4 Agathadaimon Modification Graveyard 1 16 Oct 2011 01:05
New poll feature: Multiple choice poll! Chen vBulletin 2.x Full Releases 64 07 Nov 2001 03:28



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 13:55.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: