Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Old 18 Apr 2006, 21:21

I am currently preparing to purchase my first colo server.

What I am strongly considering purchasing:

AMD Dual-Core Opteron 165 1.8Ghz

2x 1M L2 Cache, On-die Memory Controller

2 gig ram

Motherboard:

Tyan Tomcat K8E S2865G2NR

Socket 939 Server Board, nVidia nForce 4 Chipset

2pcs Western Digital 250G SATA HDs

WD2500SD, 7200rpm, 8-Meg Buffer,

Pre-Configured OS Software RAID

2x 250G Linux OS Software RAID1,250G Capacity on-board nVidia SATA-II 3G/Sec Controller

Chassis/Drive Bays/Cooling/Power Supply:

SuperMicro SC811T-260 1U Rackmount Chassis

2x hot-swap SATA carriers & backplane

1x slim CD bay, 1x open FDD bay

2x 4200rpm 10cm System Blower Fans

SuperMicro 260watt 1U Power Supply

Thoughts?

Last edited by joeychgo; 18 Apr 2006 at 21:24.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 21:28

My only thought is if you can swing it financially, I would go with a 2xx series processor and a 940 series Mobo, which will give you the ability (if needed in the future) to drop in a second physical processor, just for starters. I also prefer the Supermicro Mobo's after researching and originally wanting Tyan (thunder in my case).
Old 18 Apr 2006, 22:58

We just purchased a new database server for our sites with dual 265 opterons and a 15k SCSI RAID 10 set up. We are moving up from a dual 2.4 xeon with 10k SCSIs in RAID 5. I think we'll be extremely happy with the results from everything I have been reading about the opteron performance!
Old 25 Apr 2006, 00:26

Thanks for the link Erwin, I'll be shopping for some new servers this summer. They look good and I may end up going with them.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 01:31

I'm very impressed! We are now fully on our new Opteron server and it is impressively fast! We had (2) dual xeon web servers, one for web & the other for data bases, and this single server absolutely blows them out of the water. My sites have never loaded so fast!

I'll probably do a full report on the move, specs, etc shortly.

Oh, and we're successfully running WHM / cPanel with 64bit CentOS. I'm just really happy and impressed and we have not even really optimized the server or migrated the databases to the /data hard drives. All of my forums are currently running with the OS on a pair of raid-1 drives. Things should be even quicker once the data is moved to the 4 15k SAS drives running raid-10.

If you like speed and performance, go Opteron & some fast drives and you will not regret it.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 04:24

For databases, the secret is in the drives. 15k SCSI.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 05:03

Yup! They're awesome!
I think I am going to have to purchase a couple more built with 15k drives & opterons. I'm in Love. lol
Old 27 Apr 2006, 16:09

Originally Posted by FlyBoy73
I'm very impressed! We are now fully on our new Opteron server and it is impressively fast! We had (2) dual xeon web servers, one for web & the other for data bases, and this single server absolutely blows them out of the water. My sites have never loaded so fast!

I'll probably do a full report on the move, specs, etc shortly.

Oh, and we're successfully running WHM / cPanel with 64bit CentOS. I'm just really happy and impressed and we have not even really optimized the server or migrated the databases to the /data hard drives. All of my forums are currently running with the OS on a pair of raid-1 drives. Things should be even quicker once the data is moved to the 4 15k SAS drives running raid-10.

If you like speed and performance, go Opteron & some fast drives and you will not regret it.
excellento!!!! glad to hear folks are discovering the power of dual opterons especially dual core dual opterons
Old 30 Apr 2006, 13:10

Originally Posted by eva2000
excellento!!!! glad to hear folks are discovering the power of dual opterons especially dual core dual opterons
We now have a new HTML dual opteron server doing an excellent job and 4 dual core dual processors ones on order I'll let you know how we get on.

The reason we have our own servers is that, that way we can have the specification we need ie lots of memory and processor but relatively small fast SCSI disks.

Last year we purchases a couple of lower end dual Xeon machines which have turned out to be completly useless in comparison to the Opterons which in the same configuration are now cheaper.
Old 03 May 2006, 10:03

yup opterons are best bang for the buck in terms of performance to price ratio compared to xeons
Old 17 May 2006, 17:07

I just want to put in a plug for Appro dual opteron servers, in case anyone is still looking for a solid dual-opteron solution. Anandtech did a glowing review of Appro servers a while back, and I've been using them since 2000. My last server ran for 5 years straight without even a blower going out They're currently offering a 1U and 3U version. Not the cheapest servers out there, but very solid.

http://www.appro.com/product/opteron_main2.asp
Old 23 May 2007, 17:54

Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
For databases, the secret is in the drives. 15k SCSI.
I would use a SAS 15K drive for the database.
It burns SCSI (in stats) like the prairie fire.

If you guys use colocation, you should definitelly go with Dell. They have a dual opteron model, SC1435. Many people at WebHostingtalk know that Dell servers are better compared to the SuperMicro custom builts for example (and cheaper also).

Ya, I like Dell. If you know what to buy from them (specific parts), you will be very happy.
My coding corner
Why Queued - My personal blog

Last edited by TECK; 23 May 2007 at 18:12.
Old 24 May 2007, 07:44

Originally Posted by TECK View Post
I would use a SAS 15K drive for the database.
It burns SCSI (in stats) like the prairie fire.

If you guys use colocation, you should definitelly go with Dell. They have a dual opteron model, SC1435. Many people at WebHostingtalk know that Dell servers are better compared to the SuperMicro custom builts for example (and cheaper also).

Ya, I like Dell. If you know what to buy from them (specific parts), you will be very happy.
My coding corner
Another important question to choose Dell is the DRAC/KVM the drac save my life many times during working travels
I have xeons poweredge 1850 (for 3 years) and another 1950 (now)