Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Mod Options
Human Verification on Login Details »
Human Verification on Login
Mod Version: 0.9, by kh99 (Senior Member) kh99 is offline
Developer Last Online: Nov 2017 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.2.x Rating: (6 votes - 5.00 average) Installs: 27
Released: 19 Mar 2015 Last Update: Never Downloads: 137
Not Supported Uses Plugins Auto-Template Re-usable Code Translations  

What is it?
----------------------------
This mod adds human verification to login, after a selectable number of failures (strikes).


Why would I want this? Users will hate it.
----------------------------
The idea is that attempts at account hacking by guessing passwords will fail if they are automated and not expecting the HV input. This will reduce the number of guesses per lockout period, and also since an incorrect or missing HV response does not count as a strike, your users will not get "lockout" emails. You can configure the mod so that HV input isn't required until a certain number of failures, so most of the time users won't even notice. Also, many users probably use "Remember Me" and so will never notice.


Note: This hasn't been tested with Forum Runner, Tapatalk, or anything similar. The mod attempts to disable itself for Forum Runner and Tapatalk, but this hasn't been tested. If you install this mod and you use one those on your forum, you should test it (for example, try logging in with incorrect password 4 times and make sure it works if you enter the correct password the 5th time). Also, I will appreciate any reports of problems or success.

Thanks to woodmj for ideas and testing.

Installation:
----------------------------
1) Import the product XML file from the Product Manager.

2) Go to Settings > Human Verification Options (in the options, not the human verification manager) to enable and configure.

You can select a different type of HV than you are using for other actions. For example, you might use some type of captcha for registration, but use Q&A for login. Note that you still have to use the Human Verification Manager to configure each type. So if you want to use Q&A for login, you would have to temporarily select it in the HV Manager to configure your questions. You can then re-select a different HV type for other actions if desired.

3) Test the mod in each of your styles. There is a field in the options for an ip address, and if this is filled in, the HV will only be active for that ip address, allowing testing without affecting other users. You can then clear the field when you are done testing.

Testing each style is important because the mod attempts to insert the HV template automatically, but if it can't (if you have custom styles for example) the mod will still be expecting the HV answer to be submitted, which will result in login failures. If this happens, the mod can still be used by manually editing the STANDARD_ERROR and mobile_login templates and inserting {vb:raw kh99_login_hv} after the password field.


History:
----------------------------
0.9 (Mar 19, 2015)
  • Initial Release

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	sg1.GIF
Views:	208
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	152111   Click image for larger version

Name:	sg2.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	152115  

Show Your Support

  • To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
  #31  
Old 20 Jul 2015, 12:13
tim330i tim330i is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Does anyone know of something like this for vB 3?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 20 Jul 2015, 12:19
kh99 kh99 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Real name: Kevin
I forgot that I never finished the vb3 version.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 21 Jul 2015, 11:18
woodmj woodmj is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Originally Posted by kh99 View Post
Hmm...I think it should work with any HV selection. When you say Captcha, which one do you mean, the built-in reCAPTCHA or Images, or do you have another captcha mod?
All it was was somehow I'd set the mod's HVM option to Captcha which I don't find as effective as Q&A which I use in my signups ets so once I set it back to Q&A the member complaint emails stopped.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 22 Jul 2015, 08:25
friendlymela's Avatar
friendlymela friendlymela is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Real name: Zeeshan Shams
This is nice mod to stop spam
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 15 Aug 2015, 14:57
birliksan birliksan is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Originally Posted by kh99 View Post
I forgot that I never finished the vb3 version.


There are bugs in the plugin.

So: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/archi...x.php/?login=1

http://i59.tinypic.com/vsch1z.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ads?z.jpg (27.7 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 15 Aug 2015, 15:54
kh99 kh99 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Real name: Kevin
I'm not sure what you're saying exactly. Are you saying it doesn't add HV to the archive login? Yes, that's true. I thought I had discussed that in the thread but I guess it was via PM. While it's true that that means he archive login doesn't have the protection, remember that this is intended to stop bots, because humans can easily enter the HV information. It's possible that someone could use a bot to guess logins via the archive, but I'm guessing that most won't bother just to get by the few that are using this mod. I think the person I talked to about this just disabled the archive because it wasn't being used anyway.

Or are you saying you can't login via the archive at all? Or is there some other problem?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 15 Aug 2015, 16:02
birliksan birliksan is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Originally Posted by kh99 View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying exactly. Are you saying it doesn't add HV to the archive login? Yes, that's true. I thought I had discussed that in the thread but I guess it was via PM. While it's true that that means he archive login doesn't have the protection, remember that this is intended to stop bots, because humans can easily enter the HV information. It's possible that someone could use a bot to guess logins via the archive, but I'm guessing that most won't bother just to get by the few that are using this mod. I think the person I talked to about this just disabled the archive because it wasn't being used anyway.

Or are you saying you can't login via the archive at all? Or is there some other problem?
Yeah, İt doesn't add HV to the archive login. I just wanted to mention that there is not work. For example, the entry of active archive vbulletin.org site.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 21 Aug 2015, 05:00
richTV richTV is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Originally Posted by kh99 View Post
I forgot that I never finished the vb3 version.
Hi, any update to this?
__________________
currently using vB3.8.7
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 21 Aug 2015, 23:29
kh99 kh99 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Real name: Kevin
Originally Posted by richTV View Post
Hi, any update to this?
Well, I hate to say it but I don't see it in the near future, and possibly not at all because the way things are going in my life right now, I might be at the end of my vbulletin development days. If anyone else wants to make a vb3 version, please feel free to use this as a start, if you want.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 24 Aug 2015, 09:25
richTV richTV is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Originally Posted by kh99 View Post
Well, I hate to say it but I don't see it in the near future, and possibly not at all because the way things are going in my life right now, I might be at the end of my vbulletin development days. If anyone else wants to make a vb3 version, please feel free to use this as a start, if you want.
i'm really sorry to hear of your RL situation buddy.

you can contact me if you'd like to do this as a paid request.

else, if there's a vB3 mod available already here please post the link, or if a programmer would like to do this as a challenge please do so.
__________________
currently using vB3.8.7
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Mod Options

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:06.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: