Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03 Dec 2010, 15:16
final kaoss final kaoss is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Well then just add prefixes specifically for that forum. Just add a prefix for each version of vbulletin 3.x
3.0
3.1
3.2
3.3
3.4
3.5
3.6
3.7
3.8

and make it a requirement for users to assign a prefix for easier problem sorting.

Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Now that vbulletin has moved onto version 4.1, there will be some minor changes to the release forums in January 2011. These changes affect the current 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7 forums.

These versions are now very old, and unsupported by IB - they are also now rarely used by the vast majority of sites. New releases for these versions are extremely rare, and almost always just duplicates of 3.8 releases. Therefore its time to semi-retire them.

In practical terms, this means the following will happen.

The 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7 forums will be combined into a single "Pre 3.8" forum. This will most likely be termed the 3.x forums. This is not an ideal name since it wont include 3.0 or 3.8, but it will suffice.

The above forums will be closed to new releases. All existing mods will remain open for both posting and download, they will simply not allow new threads.

The [new] combined forums will remain in the main modification and style areas, they will not be moving to the archive area.
  #17  
Old 03 Dec 2010, 22:05
Eduardo Leon's Avatar
Eduardo Leon Eduardo Leon is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Real name: Eduardo
what ?

dont be more vb 3.6 ?

shit !
  #18  
Old 03 Dec 2010, 22:24
MentaL's Avatar
MentaL MentaL is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
no offence but allot of sites have not transfered to version 4 or regret doing so because its so POOR. the fact this forum is on 3.6 says it all.
  #19  
Old 03 Dec 2010, 23:36
Hornstar's Avatar
Hornstar Hornstar is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Real name: Matt
I am glad you are still allowing those version mods to still be downloaded and discussed. That would have been really bad if you chose to close them down completely.
  #20  
Old 03 Dec 2010, 23:38
G0F0RBR0KE's Avatar
G0F0RBR0KE G0F0RBR0KE is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Real name: James
Originally Posted by hornstar1337 View Post
I am glad you are still allowing those version mods to still be downloaded and discussed. That would have been really bad if you chose to close them down completely.
True, but what about new threads? I think we won't be able to make new modification threads or discussion.
__________________
http://vb-spanish.com is releasing soon (help will be appericated).
  #21  
Old 04 Dec 2010, 00:36
vics's Avatar
vics vics is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston & Concord Ma.
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post

These versions are now very old, and unsupported by IB - they are also now rarely used by the vast majority of sites. New releases for these versions are extremely rare, and almost always just duplicates of 3.8 releases. Therefore its time to semi-retire them.

In practical terms, this means the following will happen.

The 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7 forums will be combined into a single "Pre 3.8" forum. This will most likely be termed the 3.x forums. This is not an ideal name since it wont include 3.0 or 3.8, but it will suffice.

The above forums will be closed to new releases. All existing mods will remain open for both posting and download, they will simply not allow new threads.

The [new] combined forums will remain in the main modification and style areas, they will not be moving to the archive area.
'old'? that's very short sighted thinking - Has anyone actually thought about this or are 'we' leaving it up to one person who may or may not be aware that there's a huge subscriber base in play here on the 'old' versions?
  #22  
Old 04 Dec 2010, 03:37
Alfa1's Avatar
Alfa1 Alfa1 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
All release threads have a version set in them by the author, but apparently its not currently shown in thread listings. I may have to look at changing that.

As far as vb.org and vb4 is concerned, yes, that is being looked at in 2011 as well.
Are you planning to use the CMS for Mods?

I really hope so, because if you manage that, then the CMS will be ready for my needs.
  #23  
Old 04 Dec 2010, 18:03
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
Originally Posted by vics View Post
Has anyone actually thought about this or are 'we' leaving it up to one person who may or may not be aware that there's a huge subscriber base in play here on the 'old' versions?
No, of course not. We just woke up one morning and thought "lets do this".

At no time did we bother to actually research the activity in the old 35/36/37 release forums.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.

Last edited by Paul M; 04 Dec 2010 at 20:24.
  #24  
Old 04 Dec 2010, 18:05
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
Originally Posted by Alfa1 View Post
Are you planning to use the CMS for Mods?
Im not really sure what you mean by this ?
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
  #25  
Old 04 Dec 2010, 18:51
thespi thespi is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Please don't move on too quickly as it has me concerned for the actual life of vB4 it's going to be over by February '11
  #26  
Old 04 Dec 2010, 23:51
lemonadesoda lemonadesoda is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
You should not call the combined forum 3.x but rather 3.y, as in "why".
  #27  
Old 05 Dec 2010, 00:06
Alfa1's Avatar
Alfa1 Alfa1 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Im not really sure what you mean by this ?
I could have been clearer. Let me try again:
If I understand it correctly the Modification releases on vb.org are currently in GARS.
Do you(vb.org administration) intent to replace GARS with the vbCMS, and migrate the Modification releases to a CMS content type?
  #28  
Old 05 Dec 2010, 01:47
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
I dont know where you get that idea. We dont have GARS, and never have.

Originally Posted by lemonadesoda View Post
You should not call the combined forum 3.x but rather 3.y, as in "why".
Errrr. what ?
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
  #29  
Old 05 Dec 2010, 03:45
Alfa1's Avatar
Alfa1 Alfa1 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I read that somewhere. Obviously its not true. But the question remains the same. Do you intent to utilize the CMS for Modification Releases?
  #30  
Old 05 Dec 2010, 19:15
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
I don't understand why you would close the 3.5-3.7 forums for new mods. I understand a new 3.6 mod is a very RARE occurrence but why turn off new threads (mods)? It doesn't hurt anyone to have them remain enabled- it's not like you can have less 4.x threads because 3.6 forum is open...

I maybe can understand putting the early 3.x mod forums under some 3.x umbrella to "clean up" the look of the site but preventing new mods from being posted just doesn't make any sense.

Truthfully the same logic goes to why the 3.0 and earlier mods were ever "archived" (deleted) to begin with but what's done is done... Don't make that mistake again.

This forum itself runs 3.6!
__________________
-Joe
Former vb.org Moderator. Retired.

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 17:48.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: