Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 27 Aug 2006, 03:10

Originally Posted by Psionic Vision
Try paying some attention to what's going on and you'll see that the first rating in any thread is usually a 1, placed by someone who attempted to install the hack but wasn't successful, and they didn't have a uninstall button to click so they clicked low rating instead. =)
So.. they had problems with something and chose to NOT rate it highly?

Seems fairly logical to me.

I have also seen many MANY mods that are not rated at all.

When I see these, do I think "OMG! 0 stars! It must be crap!"? No.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 03:16

Originally Posted by kall
So.. they had problems with something and chose to NOT rate it highly?

Seems fairly logical to me.
Not when you take into account that a large majority of the people who do have problems installing have them because they didn't follow the instructions correctly or made a mistake; something outside of the Author's control.

Please feel free to re-use any of the code in any of my projects submitted to vB.org, so long as original attribution is retained.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 03:44

Actually I think that allowing thread ratings decreases the professionalism of a board. Therefore they should be discontinued on the boards of both vbulletin.com and vbulletin.org.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 04:35

kall brought up a good point, though, it also signifies that the current rating system is not needed in modification threads. What means more to me is the support given; how the author handles issues and PR. Many issues seem to be client-side but if the author answers without belittling the person, even to the redundant questions, that earns more respect than 5 stars.

Old 27 Aug 2006, 08:23

if some one does not feel the thread went his/her way then i feel they should have the choice to rate the thread to let others know the quality of the thread, i.e. how it has helped them, I feel its needed more so on the hack database...

Bashys Place ~ Bashys Hosting
Old 27 Aug 2006, 09:21

We have no plans to turn off the thread rating system for modifications at this, but we will keep the suggestion in mind on future changes to the board.

I don't really see a problem with having them turned on. If you feel that you have a positive or negative opinion to share: feel free to do so by rating the thread or posting comments.

If you feel the thread rating is not a good indicator: don't look at them.

Everyone has their own responsibility to look at information given, and decide upon that what that information is worth to them.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 12:45

maybe, you could add the rating option in the quick/reply area, so they can rate it when replying?
Old 27 Aug 2006, 14:54

Do thread ratings matter that much to you..*rates this thread one star)

Last edited by Shazz; 27 Aug 2006 at 16:18.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 15:57

Don't you wonder how many people use Thread Rating to rate the thread instead of the modification? That was always my assumption about what it was for, given that:

a) It's labelled Thread Rating, bit of a hint there.
b) The rating system is available regardless of whether it's a modification thread or not.

There's nothing anywhere that implies you should use Thread Rating for Mod Ratings in the Mod Forums and Thread Ratings outside of it and even if it did it would be a confusing way of doing it. You could at least rename it to Modification Rating for the appropriate forums so people would adequately understand what it's for and would work fine. Or better yet do something proper for Mod ratings.

Logically I'm sure people do guess it should be used for Mod Ratings but that's a bit of an assumption to say the least.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 16:08

Shazz,
ForumDog,

It appears that you haven't read the thread. Please do so before posting, thanks...

Marco van Herwaarden,

Even though you are right about the responsibility, please also keep in mind that novice users who just came to this forum and do not know what is used for what might see a low thread rating on some hack and they might think that the hack is bad and not even take a look at it, even though in most cases it wouldn't be. That would hurt novice users (as it does now), don't you think?
Old 27 Aug 2006, 17:01

I think it does not matter.
My whole experience from noob to lesser-noob now is Ive never looked at the thread rating, as its peoples opinions. Everyone has different opinions and therefore is entitled to there choice of the rating. So some people can complain or nag to get rid of it or change it, but theres nothing wrong with the system.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 18:23

Originally Posted by Freesteyelz
kall brought up a good point, though, it also signifies that the current rating system is not needed in modification threads. What means more to me is the support given; how the author handles issues and PR. Many issues seem to be client-side but if the author answers without belittling the person, even to the redundant questions, that earns more respect than 5 stars.

Ok from a non coder. I wouldn't negatively rate a thread if I didn't understand it, or I couldn't get it to work. But I would give it a good rating if I asked a question and got some kind of non-patronising help from the author. OR give it a good rating if it was an excellent mod (in that it was useful for my site) gave the "works in 3.5/3.6 only" or similar, and/or it gave straightforward instructions where appropriate.
Ratings are subjective though, but I must admit to being drawn to the higher rated threads
Old 27 Aug 2006, 21:21

A question to PV and the general community:

Why do you view a thread with a 1-star rating to be *less* valued than one with no rating at all?
Old 27 Aug 2006, 22:27

Cos 1 star is something someone has made a conscious effort to put in. No rating means no one has been bothered and it could be still be anything.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 22:28

1 > 0

'nuff said.