Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Gmail Registration Fixer Details »
Gmail Registration Fixer
Developer Last Online: Jan 2015 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 3.8.x Rating: (3 votes - 5.00 average) Installs: 41
Released: 08 Jul 2009 Last Update: 09 Jul 2009 Downloads: 166
Not Supported Uses Plugins Re-usable Code Translations  

What this Modification does:
If you require unique email addresses, people can still use a Gmail account to register multiple times by placing .'s in the address or by using the @googlemail.com extension. vBulletin will see these as unique emails; however, they will go to the same email. This modification fixes that problem.

Installation:
Just import the product in your Admin CP.

Notes:
If you wish to customize the error message, the phrase is called "gmail_same_email" in the Phrase Manager. You must have the "Require Unique Email Addresses" option enabled for this modification to work.

Updates:
Version 1.01
- Modification now fixes the [email protected] problem.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 00:50

Originally Posted by GameDude View Post
Those emails are the same address on Gmail.
Whoa! What is the point of the "." then? LOL!!

I guess I could have just tried logging in but I never knew this! Wow...

Thanks!!
Old 19 Jul 2009, 15:29

Didn't know this either, lol. Thank you very much!
Old 08 Feb 2010, 14:53

Doesn't seem to work properly to me. While it indeed blocks attempts to register using variations of the gmail account address, it also seems to randomly block gmail accounts which are certainly not registered in the forum as if they are already there. It doesn't happen with all of them and I can't see a pattern because it has happened with simple and complex addresses.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 02 Mar 2010, 00:22

Any update on Jacobomoya's problem?
I've got this modification tagged and want to install it, but I won't install when it will give problems with authentic gmail accounts ofcourse.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 19:29

Originally Posted by jacobomoya View Post
Doesn't seem to work properly to me. While it indeed blocks attempts to register using variations of the gmail account address, it also seems to randomly block gmail accounts which are certainly not registered in the forum as if they are already there. It doesn't happen with all of them and I can't see a pattern because it has happened with simple and complex addresses.

Any ideas? Thanks.
same for me, couple users reported this to me so i had to deactivate it just to get sure, that everything is fine
Old 27 Oct 2013, 05:18

I installed and tested this addon but it is only blocking the users trying to use googlemail.com/gmail.com variant. It is not blocking registrations when users are using "." in the email address.

Quite unfortunate.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 05:29

Originally Posted by AFMichael View Post
I installed and tested this addon but it is only blocking the users trying to use googlemail.com/gmail.com variant. It is not blocking registrations when users are using "." in the email address.

Quite unfortunate.
Unlike back when this Mod was made, today it's really useless to even bother requiring a valid email. Because the autospam programs have defeated pretty much all human verification on the most popular email services. And they get the verification code anyway, directly from your site on pageload after they "click" the submission.. (XRumer)

If you want to stop autospam I would recommend one of the registration time check mods. They're very effective.

I don't even use the email verification anymore, haven't for a little over a year. It's simply obsolete, now.
Old 31 Mar 2018, 13:44

Originally Posted by Dimoks View Post
Hi all

This mod doesn't work with long gmail account

[email protected] and
[email protected] - ok, mod work

but

[email protected] and
[email protected]

- doesn't work

This mod has two author's mistakes...

First: Search
$email = str_replace(".", "", substr($vbulletin->GPC['email'], 0, (strlen($vbulletin->GPC['email'])) - (strpos($vbulletin->GPC['email'], "@"))));
Replace it with
$email = str_replace(".", "", substr($vbulletin->GPC['email'], 0, (strpos($vbulletin->GPC['email'], "@"))));

Second: authors mistake - is metodological.... If we have email '[email protected]' in our user database, and we register new email '[email protected]' - we have successfull registration...

Why?
Because author search (in user database) email '[email protected]' (without dots)