Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18 Apr 2013, 09:01

Hello webmasters, i have a different opinion, i open a twitter account about 3 months ago and send a massive email to my users to follow the forums twitter account. Daily i post on twitter links to my forum where they can see videos or intresting pictures, i have found that every time i post i get over 200 new visits to the thread, and many people that where not aware of my forum are now because they follow the twitter account because someone did a retwitt or mark a post as a favorite.

My forums twitter account is @mexicoarmado its in spanish but you can have a good idea of what im talking about
Old 18 Apr 2013, 12:17

^^Most likely a heap of Bots Visiting your site. Maybe a few real people from twitter.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 12:25

twitter bots
Old 18 Apr 2013, 14:04

yeah right
Old 29 Apr 2013, 05:03

I would say Reddit has moreover killed forums... even more so than Facebook has.
Old 08 May 2013, 21:17

A few years ago I would have been in the camp that says facebook doesn't affect forums, but now I am witness to facebook nearly destroying one of my forums. In my specific forum demographic members would rather use facebook purely from a convenience standpoint. It's really amazing. I can't believe what I am seeing. They don't care about privacy or that my forum offers more. To them FB is easier.

Last edited by dethfire; 08 May 2013 at 21:24.
Old 09 May 2013, 11:28

Unhappy

HEre in Portugal, Facebook is literally killing internet forums...
Old 10 May 2013, 16:34

Internet Brands' vBulletin division presented an interesting graph on this topic at last year's ForumCon conference. See slide 4 of this presentation:
http://www.slideshare.net/VigLink/ig...ion-forum-maus

For our business we recently ran an analysis of over 50,000 vBulletin sites and found that over 50% of the sites had increasing traffic rank.

We see lots of sites using Facebook to complement thieir vBulletin-powered forum in successful ways. One site leaping to mind is NSXPrime:
NSXPrime | NSXPrime Facebook page
Old 01 Sep 2013, 04:06

Social media is really killing the impact of forums now a days.... its better to connect forums via social media tools to have a equally importance as of social media
Old 11 Nov 2013, 16:47

It would be great to hear some more opinions about this matter, now that Facebook Groups are getting so popular...

I maintain my opinion stated last May: Facebook is killing Internet Forums.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 17:09

I used to get 1200 posts per day. Now 1 every few days. All the small talk went over to facebook which people used to do on my site. They also like to be able to delete posts that dont agree with them, where on my site, if people disagreed with you, you'd be trolled. Theres a reason Facebook doesnt have an 'unlike' button and allows you to delete posts on your wall and ban people. People like that power.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 16:14

IMO, forums can easily co-exist with Facebook. Obviously, you have to adapt to the changing environment.

Let say you received a ton of page views from people having casual conversations on your forum. Well there are much better mediums for people to have casual conversations. In most cases, you can't expect to offer someone an inferior service and gain traction. Rest assured that quality sites see the reverse effect; they gain traffic from FaceBook.

Think, what does your site offer people? You should have several advantages over FaceBook; Quality content, articles, in-depth analysis, custom coded features, etc. There are several things that you can offer that are dedicated to your specific niche that FaceBook can't.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 04:15

Some like the more enclosed community while others are exhibitionists showing themselves to total strangers. I haven't really like FB since I opened an account there over 2 years ago. I used it on my anime website and all I got was bots and no new members. I dropped it off my forum and have not gone back to FB. Only thing that will take me back now is to close the account.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 04:19

No, facebook can not kill forums if you are doing well with your forum, visitors will come. I am owning a forum and it's enlarging day by day.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 14:29

Hard work always pays, so work hard to get your forum up and on track