Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26 Mar 2010, 18:41

If a coder has seemingly abandoned their plugin, and I've fixed it for 4.0

Can I post the newer version of the plugin in the 4.0 mod forum myself, or do I have to obtain permission even though they do not seem to be on the forums much anymore?

How do these sort of permissions and licenses work?
Old 26 Mar 2010, 18:45

Originally Posted by nnStaff View Post
Can I post the newer version of the plugin in the 4.0 mod forum myself, or do I have to obtain permission even though they do not seem to be on the forums much anymore?

How do these sort of permissions and licenses work?
I don''t think you can post it here without the permission of the coder.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 21:35

What if they don't even log on anymore?
Old 26 Mar 2010, 21:37

Originally Posted by nnStaff View Post
What if they don't even log on anymore?
It still doesn''t matter.

Last edited by borbole; 26 Mar 2010 at 21:53.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 22:03

I think common sense prevails. If he doesnt even log in anymore, do whats good for the people. Post it. Then if he logs in and doesnt like that for some reason, which is highly doubtful, take it down. Id say 100% of the time he'd say thanks for updating it.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 22:08

Originally Posted by TNCclubman View Post
I think common sense prevails. If he doesnt even log in anymore, do whats good for the people. Post it. Then if he logs in and doesnt like that for some reason, which is highly doubtful, take it down. Id say 100% of the time he'd say thanks for updating it.
The old "It's easier to ask for forgiveness then to get permission..." reasoning.

(Sorry, but I am no longer developing for vB; please do not PM. So long, and thanks for all the fish.)
Old 26 Mar 2010, 22:11

If the coder in question did not say you can release the code, then you cannot. Its his code.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 22:28

Originally Posted by TNCclubman View Post
If someone does this and its bought to our attention, the mod will be removed and the poster infracted for copyright infringement.

Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 23:43

Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
If someone does this and its bought to our attention, the mod will be removed and the poster infracted for copyright infringement.
what if he gives credit to the coder?
Old 26 Mar 2010, 23:51

Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
what if he gives credit to the coder?
It's still infringement, I just copied your whole forum and opened my own but I did give you credit... same principle = fail.

Check my profile, you'll see I recently released a UKBL mod HOWEVER in his original mod it stated "Re-Usable" code and if that is the case then you can i.e. the Yet Another Awards System originally by Hachno or Hancho I believe is now released by two other coders and I and someone else made a Ranks mod by doing so and in those cases it is fine, when they give permission beforehand. We have the option to choose if it's supported, re-usable code and many other options when coders post a modification.

Always remember the the old saying about assumptions... I'll skip the latter but I would rather not be made out to appear that way because some would be quite upset and could take action into their own hands even after the staff here does based on their own forum rules.

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Old 27 Mar 2010, 02:38

Every country on the planet recognizes that people die and when they do we give away their stuff to others. But not here! If you publish a single line of code, say "Hello World!" on vb.org, you then own it for eternity. Absurd, but apparently just never actually thought through by anyone except really paranoid coders (that were still alive).
Old 27 Mar 2010, 03:03

Originally Posted by Videx View Post
Every country on the planet recognizes that people die and when they do we give away their stuff to others. But not here! If you publish a single line of code, say "Hello World!" on vb.org, you then own it for eternity. Absurd, but apparently just never actually thought through by anyone except really paranoid coders (that were still alive).
Well, that's one of the sillier responses lately.

Just because a person has not logged into vB.org for some period of time does not mean that they relinquish their rights to anything that they may have created. For all you know they may have moved support to a different site. Or they are temporarily offline. Heck, who knows, maybe are a member of the military and just got shipped out (there are a good number of military folks in the vB community).

If the vB.org admin's suddenly decide to open up the flood gates by allowing anybody to claim code from other people simply because the original coder has not logged in for some pulled-out-of-the-air amount of time, I would be willing to bet there would be an even further exodus of coders releasing add-ons here.

Now, with that said, here's a question for for vB.org staff guys/gals....

I thought I read somewhere over the years that people who want to share their revisions to an older release can do so by just posting the attachment in the original release thread (as opposed to creating a new thread & essentially assuming ownership of the code)? That way situations like this are avoidable.

(Sorry, but I am no longer developing for vB; please do not PM. So long, and thanks for all the fish.)
Old 27 Mar 2010, 04:04

Originally Posted by Videx View Post
This is the way the world works. If I were to write a book, it would be mine. I would own the copyright. If I'm still alive, I may give, sell, or remove the copyright as my free will. When I die, there is a method to obtaining the copyright (don't ask me legality), but it may be given freely to someone. We preserve copyright here at vBulletin.org, because frankly, it's the legal and ethical thing to do.

Do not request support through any other means except the forums.

Useful Post With Links on Learning How To Develop vBulletin Plugins

Latest Modification: Stop Forum Spam Integration
Old 27 Mar 2010, 17:32

But this isnt a book. Its a code that is not being updated. Its like someone builds a bridge across a river, but after the river gets wider due to global warming, no one wants to extend the bridge because the architect is dead. And no one knows how to build a new bridge. But we cant extend it even though he's dead or unreachable.

Also, isnt the quote feature copyright infringement? lol

--------------- Added 27 Mar 2010 at 17:34 ---------------

(FYI) if its the rule, then its the rule, just posting for discussion purposes, no one take it the wrong way)

Last edited by TNCclubman; 27 Mar 2010 at 17:34. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Old 27 Mar 2010, 18:10

Previously, people posted the changed in the original thread (similiar to how some mods here say change "this code here" in the default vbfile.php with "this other code here")

If however the mod is marked off with the reusable code, then the owner already gave permission for others to use their work.