Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
vB Spell :: Spell Checker in WYSIWYG and Standard Modes Details »
vB Spell :: Spell Checker in WYSIWYG and Standard Modes
Developer Last Online: Feb 2016 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.7.x Rating: (4 votes - 4.00 average) Installs: 62
Released: 31 May 2008 Last Update: 15 Jul 2008 Downloads: 1510
Not Supported DB Changes Uses Plugins Template Edits Auto-Template Additional Files Re-usable Code Translations  

What this does: vB Spell allows you to install a dictionary (English dictionary included) into your MysQL database, and provide a spell checking window that works in both of vB's editor modes, standard and WYSIWYG.

Background: This mod was originally developed by tamarian for vB 3.5.x. With the release of 3.6.x the installer stopped working for fresh installs and the template changes were considerably out of date, tamarian gave cynix2 permission to release a 3.6.x version with updates. I have now carried it over to 3.7.x and will support it to the best of my ability.
This version should work with 3.5.x, 3.6.x, and 3.7.x series.

Features:
  • Supports most recent versions of browsers. Firefox, Mozilla/Netsacpe, Opera and Konqueror (Konqueror implies Safari, but please confirm Mac folks). Currently does NOT work in IE 7, if anybody can look through the code and know of a way to fix the mod to work in IE, then please send me a pm.
  • Learn Feature uses cookies, so it won't increase the database size.
  • Admin panel options.
  • Spell Check button appears anywhere there is a WYSIWYG Enhanced or Standard Editor Toolbar [includes quickreply but not quickedit].
  • Skips quoted text and other tags (PHP, code, etc.).
  • Usergroup permisisons.
  • Template based interface, and uses your default style.
  • Link buttons (Thesarus and Lookup) with links to Merriam Webster's online thesarus and dictionary links with the suggestion for misspelled words.
Installation:
  • Unzip main package.
  • Upload the contents of the 'upload' folder to your forum home directory.
    Regular Install:
    • Unzip Dictionary.zip.
    • Upload DICTIONARY.DIC to your forum home directory.
    Alternate Install
    • Unzip Manual-SQL.zip or Split-SQL.zip.
    • Import the SQL files to your database.
  • Import product-vbspell37.xml.
  • Go to AdminCP > vBulletin Options > vB Spell and edit your usergroup permisisons.
  • Template changes are now automatic. [need tms]
Q: What is the Alternate Install method for?
A: If you are having problems with the Regular Install (such as your dictionary import freezes at x%) then you should consider using the Alternate Install. If neither of these methods work for you then there might be an issue with your server host.

Upgrading:
  • Unzip main package.
  • Upload the contents of the 'upload' folder to your forum home directory.
  • Import product-vbspell37.xml.
To make template editing less tedious i have made use of Andreas Template Modification System found here. If you install tms before applying this mod, all template edits will be done for you. If you do not want tms installed, then i have supplied easier to understand template editing instructions inside the mod zip file.

IMPORTANT: If you decide to use tms and have the templates be automatically installed, then you need to go into your styles and save the following templates.

editpost, newreply, newthread, album_pictureview, calendar_edit, visitormessage_editor, socialgroups_editor, USERCP_SHELL, SHOWTHREAD, postbit_quickedit, pm_newpm, picturecomment_form, and modifysignature

Just go into the templates and save it without making any changes for each skin. TMS will not edit any unmodified templates, so if any of them templates are already red, then they are already modified and you don't need to save them.

HISTORY:
1.1 - Added use of TMS to make template modification easier.
1.2 - Added tehtide's fix from here
1.3 - Made some changes in the product, and made manual template instructions a little less tedious, but there is no easy way of doing it unfortunantly. You will need to redo the template edits that go above </head>.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	wysiwyg.jpg
Views:	1384
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	81553   Click image for larger version

Name:	standard.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	81554   Click image for larger version

Name:	editor.gif
Views:	804
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	81555   Click image for larger version

Name:	admin.gif
Views:	664
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	81556  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
vB Spell :: Spell Checker in WYSIWYG and Standard Modes tamarian vBulletin 3.0 Full Releases 212 12 Feb 2009 14:14
vB Spell :: Spell Checker in WYSIWYG and Standard Modes tamarian vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 402 19 May 2007 21:41
PungoSpell Spell Checker for vB3.5 WYSIWYG and Standard mode tamarian vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 103 23 Oct 2006 10:17
Spell Checker: PungoSpell for vBulletin3 Standard and WYSIWYG modes tamarian vBulletin 3.0 Full Releases 254 16 Jan 2006 19:29

Old 31 May 2008, 21:03

Originally Posted by codershark View Post
Has anyone a german Dictionary ??? Or know where I can get one ?
Simply amazing what a search can do...

From here (vB Spell) => To here (Download Languages) => Final (Downwload 'German')
Old 01 Jun 2008, 03:07

Originally Posted by Replicators View Post
the only change in postbit_quickedit is adding the button
Not true. Your instructions in the first post make 2 references to this template. One at the beginning of the instructions and another at the end. The text file that you provided actually detail more edits to this template.

The instructions work fine, it's just how it's read that may be more difficult for some people.
Well, the text file instructions that you provide are horrible beyond belief. The ones in the post are easier to read, but still need alot of help.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 03:20

An important addon to any quality board & community. Thank you.

However, manual template edits are outdated. Will install when an XML script will use hooks for seamless install & uninstall operations.

tsConnections | Celebrities Galore
Old 01 Jun 2008, 13:49

Originally Posted by shlomot View Post
An important addon to any quality board & community. Thank you.

However, manual template edits are outdated. Will install when an XML script will use hooks for seamless install & uninstall operations.
Problem is is there are no hooks where the edits need to go, and i'm not so advanced to know how to do that unfortunantly. I have found a better way though, but does require another mod to be installed though.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 13:56

Smile Other mod to install

Thanks for your speedy response. What other mod should be installed?

Problem is is there are no hooks where the edits need to go, and i'm not so advanced to know how to do that unfortunantly. I have found a better way though, but does require another mod to be installed though.

tsConnections | Celebrities Galore
Old 01 Jun 2008, 14:05

You need tms installed first in order for the template edits to be done for you. Then need to save all the templates that are gonna be edited beforehand cause tms will not modify unmodified templates. >8( So it's not without tedious work, but its alot easier to just go in the templates and save them, than manually editing the templates yourself.
Old 05 Jun 2008, 15:13

Hi,

I've installed this with manual template edits as I didn't want to install TMS but cannot get it to find vbspell.php.

The popup works on Firefox but not on IE and the error FF is giving is:

"The requested URL /vbspell.php was not found on this server."

This is the code added to the Editpost template:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

I've tried inserting /forums/vbspell.php and http://www.mysite.com/forums/vbspell.php - neither of which work. All three files are in my /forums directory along with the Dictionary file.

Any idea why this isn't finding the file please?

Regards
Renada
Old 05 Jun 2008, 15:33

Something in this mod interfers with the Album Pictures - Forum Home 1.3.0 plugin causing the images not to show up. Any ideas.
Old 05 Jun 2008, 18:22

Spell Checkers Form

Does the spell checker work in forms, for example when you are doing a search? If not, is there something that does perform a form spell check? thanks
Old 05 Jun 2008, 22:17

Originally Posted by Renada View Post
Hi,

I've installed this with manual template edits as I didn't want to install TMS but cannot get it to find vbspell.php.

The popup works on Firefox but not on IE and the error FF is giving is:

"The requested URL /vbspell.php was not found on this server."

This is the code added to the Editpost template:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

I've tried inserting /forums/vbspell.php and http://www.mysite.com/forums/vbspell.php - neither of which work. All three files are in my /forums directory along with the Dictionary file.

Any idea why this isn't finding the file please?

Regards
Renada
Thank you for pointing this out to me, and since i don't use IE, i didn't see the problem beforehand, in which i SHOULD of checked in ie too. I plan on fixing this issue asap, but i have other stuff i am taking care of at this time aswell. Very sorry for this inconvenience but please keep this installed so you can get a email telling you when it is fixed.

Originally Posted by cnutter View Post
Something in this mod interfers with the Album Pictures - Forum Home 1.3.0 plugin causing the images not to show up. Any ideas.
Does that mod make use of tms? It could be due to the spell checker overwritten template edits of that mod, but i can't be sure. What you can do is remove the auto-template changes for the templates that are giving you this problem, and then manually edit the templates. Does it happen on forumhome, or like when your seeing a thread?

Originally Posted by ViewMy.biz View Post
Does the spell checker work in forms, for example when you are doing a search? If not, is there something that does perform a form spell check? thanks
No it don't, only under message editors, it could be done though with he approproiate editing, you'd have to add the buttons under the input boxes. and the </head> and $navbar change. It would be pretty tedious though to do it for every template though.
Old 06 Jun 2008, 02:52

There is a bug with this hack.

When enabled, certain functions do not work. One I just noticed is that when you click a checkbox on a post, it should by default highlight it, and on the bottom right side of the drop down menu (moderator options) the Go button should change the number from (0) to (1) for example.

Your mod conflicts and voids this functionality. As soon as I uninstalled it, the original functions worked again.
Old 06 Jun 2008, 04:51

It has been awhile since I have done manual imports on MYSql but not that long. This isn't wanting to import even using the small chunks.

An error occurred while attempting to execute your query. The following information was returned.
error number: 1064
error desc: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ';
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `vbspell` (
`word` varchar(30) collate latin1_g' at line 1
I have tried importing the entire file using the file. I tried copy/paste directly into the query into phpMyadmin and I used the chunks of code where you broke it down with all methods to include the default in vBulletins "Execute SQL Query" and I get the same errors.
Are you suffering from an Alcohol or Drug addiction? Are you suffering from any addiction? Do you want help? There are others like you at Recovery Crossroads. You are not in this alone. We have been where you are at right now.
Old 06 Jun 2008, 13:06

Does that mod make use of tms? It could be due to the spell checker overwritten template edits of that mod, but i can't be sure. What you can do is remove the auto-template changes for the templates that are giving you this problem, and then manually edit the templates. Does it happen on forumhome, or like when your seeing a thread?
I tried it with the maual templet changes and it still is a no go. Its not a big deal my users dont need spell checking that much.
Old 09 Jun 2008, 19:10

Hmm, has anyone got this hack working?

Seems like no one in this thread has confirmed whether they've got it running despite 22 installs.
Old 09 Jun 2008, 19:21

No..It don't work as of yet.
Are you suffering from an Alcohol or Drug addiction? Are you suffering from any addiction? Do you want help? There are others like you at Recovery Crossroads. You are not in this alone. We have been where you are at right now.

Last edited by Tom_S; 09 Jun 2008 at 19:28.