Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22 Feb 2010, 10:54

Interesting, thanks for the replies.

Out of curiosity have any of you received requests for all posts etc to be deleted?
Old 22 Feb 2010, 11:35

Requests to delete all posts are mostly denied. As others can also have posted in the same thread, removing the posts of 1 user can make threads unreadable or senseless.

If someone wants to have posts removed, then they will need to request it for every single post by reporting the post and giving a reason for deletion.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 13:55

A few days ago I received a hateful private message from a member, demanding that I remove her account and delete all of her post - all 6,000 of them. The private message included some rather foul language directed at me. I was rather happy to ban her account and remove all of her post. This was not the first time that she "demanded" that I remove her account and her post, but it will be the last time.

As for deleting accounts, I'll delete the account if:
Their email is bouncing.
They never made a single post.

But here lately, I have been thinking of changing the setting of those accounts to "not to receive admin emails."
Old 22 Feb 2010, 17:44

Originally Posted by kevcj View Post
A few days ago I received a hateful private message from a member, demanding that I remove her account and delete all of her post - all 6,000 of them. The private message included some rather foul language directed at me. I was rather happy to ban her account and remove all of her post. This was not the first time that she "demanded" that I remove her account and her post, but it will be the last time.

As for deleting accounts, I'll delete the account if:
Their email is bouncing.
They never made a single post.

But here lately, I have been thinking of changing the setting of those accounts to "not to receive admin emails."
Try running a political site, I get PM's like that on a regular basis. However, I do not and never have deleted accounts unless it's something that is truly harmful to or from a user, such as death threats, etc. I also make this clear in my FAQ.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 08:08

Account is De-activated after 90 days. I don't delete ! any coming back member has to go through activation process.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 20:06

This is so in vogue at the moment on our site.

In the last 2 weeks, we have had 2 members DEMAND their account be deleeted.

We complied, but under protest. They then went on to demand their posts and threads be deleted, in fact the latter of the 2 members threatened legal action.

He wasnt joking neither.

Unfortunately, we had deleted him a couple of days ago,.. so all his posts were set to guest.
This made the task of pruning his threads/posts nigh on impossible ... but we hacked the database, and changed his username.

In future our policy will be to NOT to delete a user but to change their username.

We have made changes to forum rules, and our account termination policy !

This made a good read: http://www.forumdr.com/would-you-del...n-request/152/
I fixed your click-through redirect link for you - davidw

My Hacks [ click ] | Steve ~ Administrator for British Expats AustraliaBound.org/forum | Test our forum - user; don pass; pass123
Sports Tipping Mod - coming February 2010 ~ Show your Interest !

Last edited by davidw; 25 Feb 2010 at 11:39.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 08:29

If you rename accounts, then you will need to keep in mind that the original username will still be in quoted posts.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 09:48

Not if you do phrase replacement in phpmyadmin

My Hacks [ click ] | Steve ~ Administrator for British Expats AustraliaBound.org/forum | Test our forum - user; don pass; pass123
Sports Tipping Mod - coming February 2010 ~ Show your Interest !
Old 25 Feb 2010, 11:46

I had a user that was pretty popular in the spamming sense (he was very friendly and posted a lot of jokes/funnies/games/etc.) but the day we (admins) decided to not allow those posts to count, he decided he didn't want to be a part of my site. He requested heavily that I hard-delete his account, removing all his posts/account/etc., and while I refused each and every time, he found his way to another admin and they did the job for him. After I removed all admins, I put the user back in via SQL and everything was back the way it was before, but I made it a point not to give any newer admins such power in the future. I trusted these admins, but at the same time, one was still vulnerable to the power of persistence (and it helped that they were really good friends).

Christianboards.org * Web Design * CIW Certified * My hacks

Check my hacks to see which ones are marked as re-usable.

Please do not contact me through my site for vBulletin matters. These issues should be handled on vBulletin sites. I am not the only person who handles the contact us mail for my site.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 14:38

It's an interesting legal situation too. I know many online businesses which have had legal threats to remove their accounts. I am not sure whether they are legally obliged to do so but I'm sure there's some obscure EU law which they could use to prosecute a webmaster who does not comply with the request.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 15:01

The problem is that is not too easy to determine jurisdiction.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 18:06

Roughly every six months I'll prune inactive accounts. If someone has zero post count and hasn't logged in for ninety days, they go into a 'users to be deleted' group. I then mass mail them from the VB board system alerting them to the imminent removal of their account for non-use, then repeat this two weeks later. Two weeks after this, gone. Anyone getting back to me will have their account saved - that time.

I don't do this for any reason other than freeing up names other users may be interested in having.

Rapscallion
Old 02 Mar 2010, 18:02

I do not delete accounts upon request. They can exercise some free will and not return if they like.

Spambots, inactive, etc. is another story and not what I thought the original question referred to.