Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09 Nov 2008, 18:05

Amazon Store??

Has anyone tried using Amazon to make money for their forum???

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/ukbuli-21

Last night i was playing with the idea and within an hour i had a Bookstore with some 5,000 Business related books for sale, plus the store lets me link back to the forums and supplies me with banners which change with every refresh. I joined the UK Amazon and stand to make 10% of every book sold via my forum store, below is a shot of my Store, you can join the US Amazon or any number of other countries which Amazon has a presence.

UKBL Bookstore.png

I was well impressed at the speed which i could do this, i've also added a link to my navbar

UKBL.png

As my site is a Business Related site i've gone for just having books on my amazon site, but if your forum is say music related you could sell cd's and dvd's, the list is endless.

Only time will tell if this makes money, but in the meantime its certainly a refreshing addition.

UK Affilliates https://affiliate-program.amazon.co.uk/
USA Affiliates https://affiliate-program.amazon.com

Does anyone else use something like this???

Last edited by UKBusinessLive; 12 Nov 2008 at 06:10.
Old 09 Nov 2008, 18:08

well my site is nt Books related and I prefer to have an store of my own... but what about this?
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ghlight=amazon

and months looking for a Coder to repair CafePress Stores :'(
Old 09 Nov 2008, 21:10

check out the widgets - there's a good one that's basically a product tag cloud that amends itself to suit your content

https://widgets.amazon.co.uk/
Old 09 Nov 2008, 21:24

I run a (custom) mod on my forum which replaces keywords with amazon product links Haven't made a penny off of it yet, but then again I only have about 200 uniques a day at the moment.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 02:35

Personally I like amazon, I like to find reviews from them.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 05:33

I use the aStore and display mine through an iFrame to match my site: http://www.cogonline.net/forums/shop.php

I use AME to call attention to aStore products that I'm featuring for a given day/week/month.

I haven't made a huge amount, but it's pulled a few dollars for my troubles.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 05:53

Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
I use the aStore and display mine through an iFrame to match my site: http://www.cogonline.net/forums/shop.php

I use AME to call attention to aStore products that I'm featuring for a given day/week/month.

Wow! can you pick a niche of products? let's say: Comic Books?
Old 12 Nov 2008, 06:14

Your Store looks Great,

At least you've made a little, but its so easy to add to your forum its a shame not to do it, It gives members a little something to look at with relevance to your forum.

Old 12 Nov 2008, 06:49

Originally Posted by iogames View Post
Wow! can you pick a niche of products? let's say: Comic Books?
Yeah, actually, my Yu-Gi-Oh! section, for example, is based on a search key word, while a section for the one for Sleeves was hand picked content. I mix and match them depending on what I want to do and how much maintenance I want to put into one or the other.

Originally Posted by UKBusinessLive View Post
Your Store looks Great,

At least you've made a little, but its so easy to add to your forum its a shame not to do it, It gives members a little something to look at with relevance to your forum.

Thanks. I also added the aStore widget to the bottom of my threads so as not be too obnoxious. The one caveat is that the aStore widget only displays items from the upper most category of your store. Though, I've been doing a Featured Products thing every so often, and I just change the top category to those products. This last time I went with Gears of War 2. Usually I just keep the Yu-Gi-Oh! merchandise up top.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 16:04

Yeah, actually, my Yu-Gi-Oh! section, for example, is based on a search key word, while a section for the one for Sleeves was hand picked content. I mix and match them depending on what I want to do and how much maintenance I want to put into one or the other.
Oh... so if I want to setup a outlet for DC/Marvel comics, Manga, etc... I have to input the search parameters?
Old 12 Nov 2008, 17:43

Originally Posted by iogames View Post
Oh... so if I want to setup a outlet for DC/Marvel comics, Manga, etc... I have to input the search parameters?
Yep that all you need to do, plus you can make your own banner which if placed within your forum will automatically come up with similar items for sale a bit like googles adsense

The great thing about amazons store is that you can create a store in a matter of minutes and if you don't like it, delete it and do another

plus you can have more than one if you feel adventurous
Old 30 Nov 2008, 09:11

Not to sound to ignorant but what is the easiest way of integrating the astore with VB?

I have an astore with mental health books for my phobia forum and rather than linking from the nav bar to the store it would be good to have it integrated into the forum but this could be out of my capabilities.

Thanks

John
Old 30 Nov 2008, 10:16

Probably an iframe as mentioned above. The product tag cloud widget would probably suit you too.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 11:11

Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk View Post
Not to sound to ignorant but what is the easiest way of integrating the astore with VB?

I have an astore with mental health books for my phobia forum and rather than linking from the nav bar to the store it would be good to have it integrated into the forum but this could be out of my capabilities.

Thanks

John
On My site i have a link back to my store, the store is also on my navbar as well as a couple of banners on show, sold one book already

Old 30 Nov 2008, 11:42

Thanks for your replies. I will probably have to go with the link on the nav bar and possibly some modules on the portal as I'm not familiar with doing the i-frame thing.

Cheers

John