Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19 Sep 2012, 22:18

Difference between 4 and 5

What is the difference between version 4 and version 5? If I upgrade are all the setting and plugins all upgrade as well or do I need to add them?

How much work is there in actually upgrading to the new version? Is it seamless is what I am getting down too?
Old 19 Sep 2012, 22:43

None of your current plugins will work with vB5.

vB5 beta is pretty buggy just now and will probably take a few builds after going gold to be ready for what many people will consider being worthy of upgrading to. Besides, you shouldn't be considering upgrading a live board with a beta version.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 23:02

Well said Gemma. It's really important that people understand that not only will their old mods / tweaks not work with vB 5.0 but also that for developers the code base is a major change and as such comes with a learning curve. If theres mods you can't live without ask before you upgrade or you may be stuck without them for some time.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 05:22

Not to mention that those who rely on CMS will have to deal without it for a while.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 17:56

does Vbulletin connect support has CMS and Blogs or we should buy another version of vbulletin 5?
Old 21 Sep 2012, 19:39

Originally Posted by kamran_dotnet View Post
does Vbulletin connect support has CMS and Blogs or we should buy another version of vbulletin 5?
Currently it doesn't have the CMS. That will be added in a future release.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 20:11

There will only be 1 version of VB5, it will always be called VB5 Connect.

If you buy VB5 Connect now you will get access to whatever future version includes the CMS.

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 22:03

Maybe i will install vb5 if vb6 is going to be released. After i saw the "Beta" Demo I was shocked. How can you show this to the Public? 800kb to load? Sorry but I think they should sell the Company to people who love real Development. If the story continues like that, I will move to another software...sad after so many years.
Old 26 Sep 2012, 02:03

^-- Pretty sure lots of people were saying that about VB4
Old 26 Sep 2012, 11:40

when i see the demo i wonder if someone willinstall it.

it looks real messy not real friendly to see when you go there

maybe do something on design befor showing.

and programmer say it is real buggy so better not to install on running system. I am not allowed to do a update on seperated domain to test, so why upgrade?
Old 26 Sep 2012, 13:30

Always wondered why.....If it isn't broke "4.2" then why fix it? Now I am wondering why if you know it's already broke"VB5" why try to fix it? Unbelievable all the hype that went into the announcement about how happy they are to announce the release of vbulletin 5 connect and once I hit the demo......My goodness what a mess. All the best to those who actually go and buy their new license for vbulletin 5.......Overpriced and over hyped!!!
Old 27 Sep 2012, 16:58

Originally Posted by fanhockeycoach View Post
What is the difference between version 4 and version 5? If I upgrade are all the setting and plugins all upgrade as well or do I need to add them?

How much work is there in actually upgrading to the new version? Is it seamless is what I am getting down too?

vBulletin 4 has more features than vBulletin 5, and you wont lose all your search engine rankings.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 09:16

Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
If you buy VB5 Connect now you will get access to whatever future version includes the CMS.
Unless the CMS is going to be postponed to vB6 due to unforeseeable circumstances. Mark my words.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 18:58

I purchased VB5 but am not going to switch over until the CMS is implemented or something is created here to mimic it... I plan on copying my current database over to test site later this week and see how it looks...
Old 01 Oct 2012, 09:57

Originally Posted by CoZmicShReddeR View Post
I purchased VB5 but am not going to switch over until the CMS is implemented or something is created here to mimic it... I plan on copying my current database over to test site later this week and see how it looks...
its not that simple, you will need to run the upgrade script as it converts the tables and moved them around, you will also need to insure that all plugins are disabled within the database and well as products as they are not compatible with VB5

the only thing i done was copy forum structure and post threads names