Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 07 May 2010, 18:28
Ryan Ashbrook's Avatar
Ryan Ashbrook Ryan Ashbrook is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Each level is exactly twice as hard to achieve as the previous level.
I wanna know the mysterious equation that goes into the Release Levels. <_<
__________________
Ryan Ashbrook
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07 May 2010, 19:01
vbenhancer's Avatar
vbenhancer vbenhancer is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Real name: nexia
we're playing D&D here Ryan, come on, it's quick and dirty as it is supposed to be... lol
__________________
... retired... stop bothering, GTFO!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07 May 2010, 19:01
ericgtr's Avatar
ericgtr ericgtr is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Originally Posted by Ryan Ashbrook View Post
I wanna know the mysterious equation that goes into the Release Levels. <_<
They won't share it but it's hard to blame them for that, IMO it would take from the quality of mods if people were trying to reach a level rather than providing a service.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07 May 2010, 20:08
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
Originally Posted by Ryan Ashbrook View Post
I wanna know the mysterious equation that goes into the Release Levels. <_<
But if I told you, it would no longer be mysterious
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07 May 2010, 20:26
borbole's Avatar
borbole borbole is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Release level is not an indicator of skill level.
I agree 100% with this.

Originally Posted by Ryan Ashbrook View Post
I understood what you meant, and I have to politely disagree with the sentiment.

I released mods here back in the vB 2.x days that were so simple I could rewrite them more efficiently now blindfolded and with one hand. Up until they changed it, I held Coder/Designer status for years. My point is, everyone has to start somewhere and we shouldn't discriminate the status because someone released something that isn't up to a certain Level.
I am new to vbulletin. I am using it for a little over 3 months now. So when I saw the ranks here I assumed automatically that that person was a coder, a designer and/or both. However later on I saw some of those users asking some very basic questions on how to do a certain thing that no coder should ever ask. I am not talking about mod releases, but questions asked at the forum about the simplests of things. Hence my wondering&confusion as to why someone that holds the coder title should ask something as simple as that even a newbe wouldn''t have asked. But now I have got it.

One more thing I want to clear up. I was not judging anyone nor it was personal. Simply curiousity.

And as to that part about learning and asking questions there is totally nothing wrong with it. Everyone learns new things every day. Personally, I have learnt a lot here just by studing the work of Paul M, Princeton, Marco, Lynne etc. And I am still learning btw as knowledge does not have an end or limits
__________________
My mods.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07 May 2010, 20:46
ericgtr's Avatar
ericgtr ericgtr is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Originally Posted by borbole View Post
I agree 100% with this.



I am new to vbulletin. I am using it for a little over 3 months now. So when I saw the ranks here I assumed automatically that that person was a coder, a designer and/or both. However later on I saw some of those users asking some very basic questions on how to do a certain thing that no coder should ever ask. I am not talking about mod releases, but questions asked at the forum about the simplests of things. Hence my wondering&confusion as to why someone that holds the coder title should ask something as simple as that even a newbe wouldn''t have asked. But now I have got it.

One more thing I want to clear up. I was not judging anyone nor it was personal. Simply curiousity.

And as to that part about learning and asking questions there is totally nothing wrong with it. Everyone learns new things every day. Personally, I have learnt a lot here just by studing the work of Paul M, Princeton, Marco, Lynne etc. And I am still learning btw as knowledge does not have an end or limits
I never hesitate to ask, even simple questions if necessary and I believe everyone should be encouraged to do so. VB is always moving from one version to the next with completely new functions, etc. You can either dig around for hours or simply ask. New or old, we should be welcoming questions regardless of skill level. That's why there are so many forums here.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07 May 2010, 20:53
borbole's Avatar
borbole borbole is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Originally Posted by ericgtr View Post
I never hesitate to ask, even simple questions if necessary and I believe everyone should be encouraged to do so. VB is always moving from one version to the next with completely new functions, etc. You can either dig around for hours or simply ask. New or old, we should be welcoming questions regardless of skill level. That's why there are so many forums here.

Personally, until now I have never needed help with anything and that is why I have never asked a single support question. I have also no problem with the questions being asked, regardless of their level. I like to help out whenever I can. If you checked my post history, here and/or at vb.com you will see what I mean.

But what I don''t understand is that my posts here (at this thread) are being totally misunderstood and/or misnterpreted completly for something else which I never said or meant. It seems to me that I am speaking in chinese over here No matter what I say, someone will jump in and say something completly out of context. Ah, forget about it. It ain''t worth arguing and get worked up over something like this.
__________________
My mods.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07 May 2010, 21:06
ericgtr's Avatar
ericgtr ericgtr is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Originally Posted by borbole View Post
Personally, until now I have never needed help with anything and that is why I have never asked a single support question. I have also no problem with the questions being asked, regardless of their level. I like to help out whenever I can. If you checked my post history, here and/or at vb.com you will see what I mean.

But what I don''t understand is that my posts here (at this thread) are being totally misunderstood and/or misnterpreted completly for something else which I never said or meant. It seems to me that I am speaking in chinese over here No matter what I say, someone will jump in and say something completly out of context. Ah, forget about it. It ain''t worth arguing and get worked up over something like this.
Well I am a big supporter of asking for help when needed and providing help if able to. More to your point though, about the person who has created a mod and gained status because of it, that person is simply labeled by an arbitrary system that's pretty flawed anyway. So while your point is taken, users shouldn't be mocked for gaining status and then asking for assistance, even on simple things.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07 May 2010, 21:25
borbole's Avatar
borbole borbole is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Originally Posted by ericgtr View Post
Well I am a big supporter of asking for help when needed and providing help if able to. More to your point though, about the person who has created a mod and gained status because of it, that person is simply labeled by an arbitrary system that's pretty flawed anyway. So while your point is taken, users shouldn't be mocked for gaining status and then asking for assistance, even on simple things.
You see, right there. Show me where did I at any point mock any user here? Unfreakingbelievable. All I ever said was that I was very surprised to see some people holding the coder or designer rank to ask some less than basic knowledge about coding and designing. Oh boy, talk about blowing things way out of proportion. Can you believe these guys?
__________________
My mods.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07 May 2010, 21:48
vbenhancer's Avatar
vbenhancer vbenhancer is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Real name: nexia
hum, actually, borbole, you're the only one to freak this out really... others are debating some other point of view... you don't like points of view? stop posting.
__________________
... retired... stop bothering, GTFO!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07 May 2010, 21:56
borbole's Avatar
borbole borbole is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Originally Posted by vbenhancer View Post
hum, actually, borbole, you're the only one to freak this out really... others are debating some other point of view... you don't like points of view? stop posting.
I am not freaking out pal nor do I have a problem with other point of views. I simply don''t like it when other people try to misinterpret my words and place them out of context. But I am really done with this topic.
__________________
My mods.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07 May 2010, 22:20
ericgtr's Avatar
ericgtr ericgtr is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
^^ How come you and I are only "contributors" ? When do we graduate from contributors to coders/designers ?
Originally Posted by Speysider View Post
You have to release a lot of small hacks or one major addition.
This is an excellent question. Contributors appears to be yet another "release" level, based solely on a system function that calculates a number based on a post in a specific forum. There are also many people both here and at .com who answer questions for people of all levels with no status at all and IMO these folks really deserve credit too.

At one of my sites I set a group up with a little image that said "Contributor" and the staff and I would manually tick a box when we saw people answering questions and helping out. It boosted both morale and posting and was all done by human beings.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08 May 2010, 02:40
Videx's Avatar
Videx Videx is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I too have seen noobs with 'coder' status. Hard to imagine how they got that way. But I too don't really care, since members are paid just as much as coders here. It's not a 'rank', it's a cute title.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08 May 2010, 10:15
Marco van Herwaarden Marco van Herwaarden is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I do understand your question borbole, and i also sometimes scratch my head over the level of questions asked by people who already did release some work.

But not everything in life can be explained. Sometimes you must just accept things and move on.
__________________
Marco van Herwaarden
Ex vBulletin.org Coordinator
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08 May 2010, 20:23
Ryan Ashbrook's Avatar
Ryan Ashbrook Ryan Ashbrook is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
But if I told you, it would no longer be mysterious
Well, if you told me it would still be mysterious to the other thousands of people.
__________________
Ryan Ashbrook
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:53.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: