Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Custom HTTP Error Pages Details »
Custom HTTP Error Pages
Developer Last Online: Jun 2006 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.5.0 Rating: (4 votes - 4.50 average) Installs: 60
Released: 12 Oct 2005 Last Update: 28 Oct 2005 Downloads: 179
Not Supported Uses Plugins Template Edits Additional Files  

This is a re-write of a hack I made for vBulletin 2.x.

What this hack does is use vBulletin to generate HTTP error pages (such as the 404 - Not Found error). For those of you trying to get an all-vB-based-site, this addition will help complete your quest. Also for anyone who wants a nicer looking HTTP error message than the standard blah.

Note: Your website needs to be on a server that uses a .htaccess file, a file located in your root public directory. This may only be servers using the Apache HTTP server, I'm not sure if any other HTTP server, like Microsoft IIS, uses that or not. Some more notes on this are included in the instructions.txt file.

There are no vB files to modify. There is one file to upload, and one product to install, which will install several new templates and two plugins. The plugins are for Who's Online display. The templates contain the actual messages. No existing templates are modified.

Special thanks to KirbyDE for showing me how to group templates using a plugin rather than a code modification.

This hack has now been re-written to use phrases. If you have a previous version, here's what you can do to upgrade.
1. Upload the new httperror.php file.
2. Add the product-jjr512_httperr.xml, overwriting the existing. (All old non-used templates should be removed automatically. This version uses only two templates: HTTP_ERROR and http_error_bit.)

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Custom HTTP Error Documents JJR512 vBulletin 2.x Full Releases 43 19 Apr 2004 08:08

Old 27 Oct 2005, 20:58

Originally Posted by Delphiprogrammi
hi,

Yes the httperror.php is in the "webroot" i didn't tryed that yet (using an aboslute pathname or remoing the slash) will give that a shot and get back to you
just tryed this absolute path and no beginning "/" but the problem is elsewhere i think my apache error_log shows this

[Thu Oct 27 14:55:20 2005] [error] [client ********] File does not exist: /401.shtml
i'm on a dedicated server (cpanel) maybe that has anything todo with it i didn't configure the "errorpages" in my cpanel through
Old 27 Oct 2005, 23:30

well,

punch me but all of a sudden it started to work.All i did before it started to work is just access the page that would bring up that error page eg http://www.yourserver.com/httperror.php?e=401 and the line in my .htaccess for errorcode 401 is

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

also i found while searching on google that the leading "/" means to be a local document not a url
Old 28 Oct 2005, 13:38

Thanks a lot, it's great, it saved me lots of time
Old 28 Oct 2005, 17:48

I will shortly be changing the instructions to not have the full URL to the file, just the local file name, as in Delphiprogrammi's code example in Post# 47. Maybe it only applies to the one type of error, maybe there are others, so just in case, I'm recommending that for all of them.
Old 03 Nov 2005, 18:23

Originally Posted by JJR512
I will shortly be changing the instructions to not have the full URL to the file, just the local file name, as in Delphiprogrammi's code example in Post# 47. Maybe it only applies to the one type of error, maybe there are others, so just in case, I'm recommending that for all of them.
After I installed this a lot of my members complain that they keep seing it in pages that exist, especially on the home page of the site!
Old 06 Nov 2005, 04:35

If you don't have anthing in your .htaccess file, how is the hack working at all? Sure, if you go to www.yourdomain.com/forums/httperror.php?e=404 you'll see the error page, but what if you go to www.yourdomain.com/xkaooe3991.html, a file which probably doesn't exist on your server, do you get the error page from my hack then? Because as far as I'm aware, custom error pages need to be "pointed" to by the .htaccess file, otherwise you get the generic error page. And if I'm wrong about that, then I guess I need to be re-educated.
I meant there is nothing in there but the stuff from this hack.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 04:37

Originally Posted by Loukrhtia
After I installed this a lot of my members complain that they keep seing it in pages that exist, especially on the home page of the site!
*bump* :nervous:
Old 07 Nov 2005, 14:46

Originally Posted by Loukrhtia
Sorry about that. I'm actually not really sure how to help you. The problem would seem to be with the webserver itself, since it's directing people to the error pages. It could be that the .htaccess file isn't configured properly or there is some other problem related to it.

You may want to ask your webhost technical support what's wrong with your .htaccess file. Explain to them you're trying to use custom error pages and show them what you put in that file.

If they are able to help you, please tell us here what they did. If they can't help you (or nobody else here can), then unfortunately you may need to uninstall and not use this hack.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 16:52

Sorry about that. I'm actually not really sure how to help you. The problem would seem to be with the webserver itself, since it's directing people to the error pages. It could be that the .htaccess file isn't configured properly or there is some other problem related to it.

You may want to ask your webhost technical support what's wrong with your .htaccess file. Explain to them you're trying to use custom error pages and show them what you put in that file.

If they are able to help you, please tell us here what they did. If they can't help you (or nobody else here can), then unfortunately you may need to uninstall and not use this hack.
I already asked them and they said that everything is ok!
Btw this only happens at the home page of the site...
Are you sure it has nothing to do with the hack? Cause I read here that other members have it too and it only started happening after the install of it...
Old 08 Nov 2005, 15:24

It's possible, but if it is, it's beyond my comprehension. It defies logic. The operation of this hack should be extremely simple. Either an error condition occurs, in which case you are directed to the appropriate page generated by this hack, or else there is no error condition and you get to the correct page on your site. I can't understand how someone would get to the error message without there being any error condition. I'm sorry.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 22:54

Hi JJR512,

great hack, it is working perfectly except in whoisonline, it shows when a user is seeing an error page: Unknown location instead of the phrase viewing error.

How do I fix this

Regards
Old 20 Nov 2005, 18:11

Is the plugin active?
Old 25 Nov 2005, 09:57

I wonder how come the images are dead?
Where should I fix this?
http://www.gamerzplanet.net/adsd
Old 25 Nov 2005, 14:29

I don't see any broken images, it's working fine.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 07:27

Glad to know I'm not alone, I've been using the old and new versions of this and everyone is EXPERINCING and error, even when they aren't.

WTF?