Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 15:55
bazookajoe's Avatar
bazookajoe bazookajoe is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Arrow Forum Wont Load After Mass Email

I have noticed that my forum home page wont load load after sending a mass email to members, I get a "web page not available" message. I have a new dedicated server and server mgmt company and never have a problem with slow or down time except just after sending mass emails. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 16:05
ForceHSS's Avatar
ForceHSS ForceHSS is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Talk to your host maybe they can do something
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 16:16
bazookajoe's Avatar
bazookajoe bazookajoe is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Just opened a ticket...waiting on a response. I just wondered what the issue is and if anyone else has experienced this?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 17:31
Simon Lloyd's Avatar
Simon Lloyd Simon Lloyd is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Real name: Simon
It has to be with the amount of resources taken to send the mails, you might want to look at throttling the number per hour if you're sending as lot.
__________________
Kind regards,
Simon Microsoft Office Help
My Mods: Find my modifications here
Please do not pm me for support unless i have invited you to!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 17:47
bazookajoe's Avatar
bazookajoe bazookajoe is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Originally Posted by Simon Lloyd View Post
It has to be with the amount of resources taken to send the mails, you might want to look at throttling the number per hour if you're sending as lot.

How would you suggest that is best accomplished Simon? My email manager in admincp is currently set to send 500 at a time but I noticed it sends the whole batch of several thousand within a few seconds. Can I do this in the server settings? I also noticed it only sends around 1/2 the number of my registered members, but before I recently upgraded from 3.8 to 4.2.2 it sent to all members.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 17:50
ForceHSS's Avatar
ForceHSS ForceHSS is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
set it to 50 as 500 is way to high
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 17:56
Simon Lloyd's Avatar
Simon Lloyd Simon Lloyd is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Real name: Simon
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
How would you suggest that is best accomplished Simon? My email manager in admincp is currently set to send 500 at a time but I noticed it sends the whole batch of several thousand within a few seconds. Can I do this in the server settings? I also noticed it only sends around 1/2 the number of my registered members, but before I recently upgraded from 3.8 to 4.2.2 it sent to all members.
Not in admincp but on your dedicated server, like changing Exim settings...etc
__________________
Kind regards,
Simon Microsoft Office Help
My Mods: Find my modifications here
Please do not pm me for support unless i have invited you to!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 18:43
bazookajoe's Avatar
bazookajoe bazookajoe is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Originally Posted by Simon Lloyd View Post
Not in admincp but on your dedicated server, like changing Exim settings...etc
Specifically??
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 19:16
Max Taxable's Avatar
Max Taxable Max Taxable is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Love the handle, bazookajoe!

Is this you: http://www.triketalk.com/forum/forum.php

I dunno about the email load but I do know you have:
Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

My goodness, that's a helluva load right there. Site is loading for me though.

Most of the 652 members showing online look spammy, judging by the usernames.

Are you using the "fake users" mod? Or is this actual traffic?

Help yourself tremendously by optimizing this site - reduce bandwidth drastically and improve performance. There is much work to do in that regard and here's the report card.

WebPageTest
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 19:25
Max Taxable's Avatar
Max Taxable Max Taxable is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
You're loading eight point 4 MEGABYTES on people's browsers, from your CMS page. Gawd, what glut. Almost 8 1/2 megabytes. Equivalent to a eight minute music file in mp3 format!

WebPageTestCMS

My God man, can you imagine the bandwidth waste if your traffic is what it says it is? 8.4 million bytes times 7,000 visitors times multiple pageloads?

I bet you're paying out the wazoo for hosting.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 20:18
bazookajoe's Avatar
bazookajoe bazookajoe is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Originally Posted by Max Taxable View Post
Love the handle, bazookajoe!

Is this you: http://www.triketalk.com/forum/forum.php

I dunno about the email load but I do know you have:
Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

My goodness, that's a helluva load right there. Site is loading for me though.

Most of the 652 members showing online look spammy, judging by the usernames.

Are you using the "fake users" mod? Or is this actual traffic?


Help yourself tremendously by optimizing this site - reduce bandwidth drastically and improve performance. There is much work to do in that regard and here's the report card.

WebPageTest


I dont do FAKE...These are all 100% real users, click on a username and check their stats. I have deleted over 5000 spammers and inactive members over the last 6 years and this was before installing Spam-O-Matic. A large percentage of my members are older retired people who have checked the "remember me" option and practically live on this site. Its their hobby and their social life and we do have a large global reach.

I know I certainly do need to optimize the site and that's a real priority for me.

Last edited by bazookajoe; 23 Mar 2014 at 20:31.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 20:32
ForceHSS's Avatar
ForceHSS ForceHSS is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
You have about 450 of Baidu Spiders install http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=268208 it will get rid of them and bring the load down
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 20:39
bazookajoe's Avatar
bazookajoe bazookajoe is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Originally Posted by Max Taxable View Post
My God man, can you imagine the bandwidth waste if your traffic is what it says it is? 8.4 million bytes times 7,000 visitors times multiple pageloads?

I bet you're paying out the wazoo for hosting.

Max, thanks for bringing that to my attention. Just changing the settings on the CMS page from full articles displayed to preview articles setting dropped the load from 8.4 to 1.4.
Thanks

--------------- Added 23 Mar 2014 at 22:01 ---------------

Originally Posted by ForceHSS View Post
You have about 450 of Baidu Spiders install http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=268208 it will get rid of them and bring the load down

Thanks for that suggestion ForceHSS...I will look into that.

Last edited by bazookajoe; 23 Mar 2014 at 21:40.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 23 Mar 2014, 22:43
Max Taxable's Avatar
Max Taxable Max Taxable is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
I dont do FAKE...These are all 100% real users, click on a username and check their stats. I have deleted over 5000 spammers and inactive members over the last 6 years and this was before installing Spam-O-Matic. A large percentage of my members are older retired people who have checked the "remember me" option and practically live on this site. Its their hobby and their social life and we do have a large global reach.
Oh hey Man, no insult intended at all. It's just that, the fake users mod is quite popular. I wasn't assuming.
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
Max, thanks for bringing that to my attention. Just changing the settings on the CMS page from full articles displayed to preview articles setting dropped the load from 8.4 to 1.4.
Thanks
And it actually LOOKS better too! Good job.

If you would like some free, comprehensive help with optimizing your site where we can save you a buttload of bandwidth and probably dinero, give me a shout via PM and Ozzy47 and I will spring into action. We specialize in this.

Last edited by Max Taxable; 23 Mar 2014 at 22:59.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 14:20.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: