Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29 Dec 2017, 02:23

R.I.P..... The end is here

With vBulletin announcing the end of life for vBulletin 3 and 4 I want to be the first to say R.I.P vBulletin you had a good long run but the end is here.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 04:16

where did you read this?

I mean 3 has been EOL for a long while now but it still gets security updates I believe

Email me for website help: brandon[at]sheley[dot]org
Old 29 Dec 2017, 10:48

I think the OP means development has completely ended on vB4. That was to have happened back in July. So far as I know only security updates will be issued.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 16:30

Posted Yesterday

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...-x-end-of-life
Old 29 Dec 2017, 16:38

They have not released any new version for a very long time that introduces major features so this comes as no surprise.

Contact me for custom vBulletin 3/4 work & server/website management.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 17:00

As long as they at least keep security updates.....i see this as more of a green light than anything to be honest.....it could actually increase appeal and profits for them imho......

all we need is security patches and vb4 can make alot more sense than vb5 for alot of ppl....

lets see, no new major upgrades so hack your styles into high heavens and mod them out beautifully with all the great resources people have shared over the years....never have to redo any of it?

ok im in...for options and custom ability it still has alot of pull in my eyes....

maybe for a simple forum not as much but in that light at least it is sort of exciting....

just keep the security patches at least please, people will still buy ;P
Old 29 Dec 2017, 17:05

Even if they don't do security patches at some point, I'm sure other people will release unofficial patches. I feel like at this point vBulletin 3/4 itself is relatively secure against most major vulnerabilities though.

Contact me for custom vBulletin 3/4 work & server/website management.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 17:32

Don't stop the release security patch please for 3.8.x/4 series, please, We have not to update 5 series. Little bit listen your customers. @Wayne Luke.

Last edited by TTayfun; 29 Dec 2017 at 17:38.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 17:40

vBulletin listen to it's customers? lol that would be a nice place to start but with the quality of vB5 they are obviously not listening to the right people.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 17:43

Originally Posted by BadSanta2 View Post
vBulletin listen to it's customers? lol that would be a nice place to start but with the quality of vB5 they are obviously not listening to the right people.
Unfortunately, if company stop support completely for 3 and 4 series, than other forum software companies win. This is real. vBulletin, listen your customers and please be respectful who use 3&4 series.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 22:01

I didn't see the vB4 notice..
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...te-end-of-life
Old 29 Dec 2017, 23:41

seems like mainly an official announce for the vb.com archives to me......they been saying that was the case for well around a year now im pretty sure....like i say, i take it as a green light and good news.....so long as the security patches keep coming ;P
Old 29 Dec 2017, 23:51

vBulletin 3.x is almost 14 years old. We're lucky they supported it this long. Try getting 14 years of support from Microsoft. Having said that there has been no official "end of life" declaration for vBulletin 4.x. It's users still receive security patches and support and it was upgraded earlier this year. The sky is not falling, Chicken Little.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 00:32

Originally Posted by TTayfun View Post
Don't stop the release security patch please for 3.8.x/4 series, please, We have not to update 5 series. Little bit listen your customers. @Wayne Luke.
Wayne does make any such decisions, he simply posts the announcements.

These two announcements are nothing new, this has been the case for a long time now. They simply state that no further development work will be carried out on vB3 or vB4. Old news.

--------------- Added 30 Dec 2017 at 00:35 ---------------

Originally Posted by In Omnibus View Post
vBulletin 3.x is almost 14 years old. We're lucky they supported it this long. Try getting 14 years of support from Microsoft. Having said that there has been no official "end of life" declaration for vBulletin 4.x. It's users still receive security patches and support and it was upgraded earlier this year. The sky is not falling, Chicken Little.
I'm sorry to disappoint you on that one:

vBulletin 4.X Publishing Suite End of Life

The situation for both vB3 and vB4 is the same. 3.8.11 and 4.2.5 were the final planned releases for both branches.

Support will continue as normal, with the obvious caveat that if something turns out to be a bug, or a problem caused by third party changes (such as Facebook or PayPal), then those won't be rectified as they would require development work.

All development is now focused on vBulletin 5.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 00:51

Originally Posted by Mark.B View Post
I'm sorry to disappoint you on that one:

vBulletin 4.X Publishing Suite End of Life

The situation for both vB3 and vB4 is the same. 3.8.11 and 4.2.5 were the final planned releases for both branches.

Support will continue as normal, with the obvious caveat that if something turns out to be a bug, or a problem caused by third party changes (such as Facebook or PayPal), then those won't be rectified as they would require development work.

All development is now focused on vBulletin 5.
So, are you agreeing with the original post that the end is here? Your site still runs on vBulletin 4, does it not? Joe's site was running on vBulletin 4 last I knew. My point was it's not like sites running vBulletin 4 no longer function.

Now, if it hadn't been upgraded to function with PHP 7.1 that might have caused a much more immediate concern.

Tags
endoflife, vbulletin