Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Welcome headers - Improve community registration rates Details »
Welcome headers - Improve community registration rates
Developer Last Online: Dec 2016 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 3.8.0 Rating: (40 votes - 4.88 average) Installs: 480
Released: 12 Jan 2009 Last Update: Never Downloads: 2849
Not Supported Uses Plugins Template Edits  

Out of the box, your forum isn't personalized to assist or address your visitors. As a result, guests entering on a page other than the homepage (which is most often the case) have no idea what to do or why to register. Additionally, there are no visible status indicators, making it confusing for unconfirmed, unapproved or new members to know what to do or where to begin. But with a little customization, the use of the vBulletin Notices System and Welcome Headers, you can solve these issues in just a few minutes.

What is Welcome Headers?

Welcome Headers is a set of predefined messages and rules designed to help you get started in personalizing your site's notices using the vBulletin notice feature. The default templates are just that, default I highly encourage you to modify and add to the language and rules to meet the needs of your actual community environment.

Modifications/ Instructions:

Plugins: 1 (notices entries, rules and phrases)
This template hack should take under 5 minutes to implement and customize.

Installation/ Upgrade Instructions

1 Backup any existing welcome header messages (upgrading)
2 Remove the default welcome header from your forum home template (new installs)
3 Install the attached plugin file
4 Now Required: Customize the messages to include your site's name

For detailed instructions on each step please view the install.html file included with this addon.

Support

Please post any enhancement or technical questions you may have and I will do my best to respond in a timely manner. Please note: I can not guarantee an immediate response and am unable to assist with integrating this addon with other addons or with HTML related questions.

Why use this when the notices system exists?

Welcome Headers have been around since before vBulletin 3.0 but as of 3.7 the functionality of the system was no longer needed as vBulletin added its own native feature to handle notices. However while the notices feature lets you show welcome header style messages it doesn't give you any to start with. This addon no longer adds functionality but instead provides a set of 4 notices that have been time-tested and help your forum grow and function better for guests and members.

Please be sure to customize and add to the messages from this addon to match the individual needs of your forum!

Older Version Support

While most users are choosing to upgrade to the notices system, there are some advantages to the "old" system mainly in that it does not rely on a rules system and can be configured as designed with code changes. Additionally, the "old" version has automatic interfacing with several other addons which the notices system does not. For this reason, the old version is still supported and remains fully compatible with 3.8.

Updates from 3.7

No changes have been made; the code needed for both is the same so upgrading is not necessary.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome_headers.gif
Views:	6220
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	92494   Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome_headers_nopost.gif
Views:	4590
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	92495  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Board Optimization Welcome headers - Improve community registration rates Ted S vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons 1340 14 Oct 2015 09:17
Welcome headers - Improve community registration rates Ted S vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 1165 28 Mar 2012 01:17
Mini Mods Welcome headers - Improve community registration rates Ted S vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 331 28 Oct 2010 05:18

Old 19 Sep 2009, 16:10

Hello, both never posted and guest message are shown for the guest user.
Server / Website Consultation
Old 22 Sep 2009, 16:58

Okay, thank you for your help. I figured out what it was and it was completely unrelated to this hack. So sorry, thank you for putting up with me!
Old 22 Sep 2009, 20:05

Excellent mod - thanks. Does anyone know how I could get this to show on my vbadvanced home page as well as the forum home?
Old 28 Sep 2009, 16:27

...thanks..installed

My vBulletin Mod Hacks
Along With Some Helpful vB.Org Genious Coders & Designers, I Release This Modification...Please Don't Hesitate To PM Me For Support As Long As I Can.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 01:20

This is fantastic!
Old 16 Oct 2009, 19:58

Anyone have a good Join Our Community image to use And maybe a matching email us image?
Old 17 Oct 2009, 14:46

Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
Excellent mod - thanks. Does anyone know how I could get this to show on my vbadvanced home page as well as the forum home?
That's what I am waiting on.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 20:08

Older Version Support

While most users are choosing to upgrade to the notices system, there are some advantages to the "old" system mainly in that it does not rely on a rules system and can be configured as designed with code changes. Additionally, the "old" version has automatic interfacing with several other addons which the notices system does not. For this reason, the old version is still supported and remains fully compatible with 3.8.

I have a 3.6 vbulletin forum that still has the Welcome Headers version from that time period still installed.

I am now upgrading that forum to 3.8.4.

Does the above quote mean that the version of Welcome Headers that I'm using with vb 3.6 will work when I upgrade to 3.8.4?

If so, what advantages would I find by using this version of Welcome Headers?

Thanks.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 20:55

Originally Posted by rnmcd View Post
I have a 3.6 vbulletin forum that still has the Welcome Headers version from that time period still installed.

I am now upgrading that forum to 3.8.4.

Does the above quote mean that the version of Welcome Headers that I'm using with vb 3.6 will work when I upgrade to 3.8.4?

If so, what advantages would I find by using this version of Welcome Headers?

Thanks.
You can continue to run the same version of the mod if you like how it preforms.

The advantage of the new version is to use the notices system which is a default part of vbulletin rather than conditionals. The downside is that you must follow the structure of the notices system.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 05:21

How can I add image in welcome headers. Please help.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 18:06

Use the old version of the addon and modify the welcome_headers template to include your image.
Old 25 Dec 2009, 12:17

This mod works for vb4 Gold, its been working with no problems on my forum even when it was disable lol.

But... I don't know where to cut the original notice of vb4, its not the same code...

Last edited by CRDeveloper; 25 Dec 2009 at 12:35.
Old 26 Dec 2009, 03:20

Originally Posted by ToxXxicas View Post
This mod works for vb4 Gold, its been working with no problems on my forum even when it was disable lol.

But... I don't know where to cut the original notice of vb4, its not the same code...
Thanks. I will be updating for vb4 shortly.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 01:48

does anyone know what to add to vba to make the links work correctly on the vba page?

For example...

If your on my main vba page...www.mysite .com and you click a welcome header link, it does not add the /forum in the address so u get an error.
But, if your on www.mysite .com/forum and you click a welcome header link it works fine.

With vba you always have to add "exampleword.php" to the global options area for links to work right...

anyone know what the magic word is?
Old 29 Jan 2010, 11:47

Originally Posted by kNeeLy View Post
does anyone know what to add to vba to make the links work correctly on the vba page?

For example...

If your on my main vba page...www.mysite .com and you click a welcome header link, it does not add the /forum in the address so u get an error.
But, if your on www.mysite .com/forum and you click a welcome header link it works fine.

With vba you always have to add "exampleword.php" to the global options area for links to work right...

anyone know what the magic word is?
I used welcomeheaders in my Portal Output Global Variables and it seems to work fine for me.