Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Private Message Quote Formatting Details »
Private Message Quote Formatting
Developer Last Online: Nov 2017 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 3.8.x Rating: (3 votes - 5.00 average) Installs: 32
Released: 15 Dec 2012 Last Update: 01 Jan 2013 Downloads: 101
Not Supported Uses Plugins Auto-Template Re-usable Code Translations  

What is it?
----------------------------
This mod arranges quotes in a PM to be in a "conversational" order instead of being nested. This solves the problem of displaying deeply-nested quotes. This mod also has an option to add a date/time stamp to quoted PMs.

Also, I'm not much of an html/css person - this mod mostly provides variables which can be checked in the template, and a bare-bones css file. If anyone comes up with css for a better looking format and wants to share it, please do (and maybe I'll put it in a later version).

(vb4 version is here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=292968)

Installation:
Just import the product XML file from the Product Manager. This doesn't change stored PMs in any way (unless you enable the date/time stamp option - see below), so you can uninstall or disable the product at any time to go back to the original PM template.

If you'd like to customize the format, you can edit the kh99_pm_quote, kh99_pm_quote_bit, and/or the kh99_pm_quote.css templates.

If you want to add date/time tags to PM quotes, go to the adminCP options under "Private Messaging Options" and set "Add Date and Time to Quotes" to yes. Note that if you later uninstall this mod, any messages quoted while this option was on will still contain a date/time tag, but it will display after the name in a default format and timezone. If this is a concern, it's probably better that you don't enable this option.

Also note that the date/time option only adds the timestamp to newly quoted messages - it will not add one to quotes in existing messages.

Note: Because I forgot to set a product id for version 0.90, when upgrading from 0.90 to a later version the mod installs as a separate product so that it looks like this mod is installed twice. If that happens you should just be able to uninstall version 0.9.

History:
1.0 (Jan 01, 2013)
  • Fixed issue with white page on some forums
  • All templates now cached (I hope).
0.91 (Dec 22, 2012)
  • Fixed conflict with at least one mod that adds default text formmating
  • Fixed problem with html in pm notification email
  • Option to show only N newest quotes and hide the rest
  • Optional Date/Time tag added to quotes in PMs
  • Added enable/disable option for the entire product, in admincp
  • Templates are now cached
0.9 (Dec 14, 2012)
  • Initial Release

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	sg1.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	142898   Click image for larger version

Name:	sg2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	142988   Click image for larger version

Name:	sg3.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	143114  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Private Messages Enhancements Private Message Quote Formatting kh99 vBulletin 4.x Add-ons 86 27 Jun 2018 21:44

Old 21 Dec 2012, 12:54

Hmm. I figured that there was a hook that contained the private message ID somewhere, so you could know exactly what to query. But I haven't looked at the hooks or dumped any arrays to see what is available.

Once you have the PM ID#, I was thinking just to do a SELECT lookup, retrieve the date/time, then make that available as a $variable that can be used within the template.

For the moment, I'd just like the email bug fixed
Old 21 Dec 2012, 13:05

Perhaps $pmdm->pmtext['pmtextid'] from looking briefly
Old 21 Dec 2012, 13:08

Originally Posted by ctrlbrk View Post
Hmm. I figured that there was a hook that contained the private message ID somewhere, so you could know exactly what to query. But I haven't looked at the hooks or dumped any arrays to see what is available.
Well right, at the time the message is first quoted I can find the date/time, it's just that it needs to be stored as part of the quote tag or else I'd need to find it again (using only the user name and quoted text) every time the message is displayed.

For the moment, I'd just like the email bug fixed
I'll definitely be releasing that fix today, but I wanted to see what else I can get done in the same release.

Edit: I had a power outage here yesterday, so I'm a bit behind but it's basically done and I'll be releasing it soon.

Last edited by kh99; 22 Dec 2012 at 14:08.
Old 22 Dec 2012, 17:16

But what about adding a date/time header to each quote box?

Also you need to cache your templates.
There is another (major) problem, apparently the formatting of emails is messed up with half-HTML half-CSS half-original text.
OK, I released another version (0.91) that fixes the above, and also a problem someone asked about in the vb4 thread where it was incompatible with another mod. Also adds a cutoff setting that someone asked for via PM.

Edit: oops - I added a template to format the date/time in a new message, and now I've forgotten to cache that one. I'll add it next update (or you can add it in the cache_templates plugin if you want to take care of it before then).

Last edited by kh99; 22 Dec 2012 at 17:44.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 00:09

0.91 (Dec 22, 2012)
Hi. I've a white screen on forum/private.php with new version.
Also, new version of product installs as a new product and it doesn't rewrite old one.
Previous version works great.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 00:11

Originally Posted by Abu2 View Post
Hi. I've a white screen on forum/private.php with new version.
Also, new version of product installs as a new product and doesn't rewrite old one.
Hmm...I think the reason for installing as a new product is that I forgot to set the product ID on the previous version. I think it should be OK to uninstall the 0.9 version, but if it still doesn't work uninstall the 0.91 version as well, then reinstall it. (It might be the cause of the white screen, but I'll do some more testing as well).
Old 23 Dec 2012, 00:17

I reinstalled it, but... The same - white screen...
Old 23 Dec 2012, 00:21

OK. I just tried it myself and didn't see any problems, so possibly it's a conflict with something on your forum, and I'd like to figure out what it is. Do you have any access to your php or web server error logs, to see if there's any information there? Also, which version of vb are you running?

Edit: Another thing you could do - there are 4 plugins, you could try disabling the separate plugins one at a time to see if you can figure out which one is the problem. That would at least let me know which part to focus on.

Last edited by kh99; 23 Dec 2012 at 00:53.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 01:33

I use 3.8.6. No errors in error.log.
I switched off all of PM's and quote mods, - no result.

But previous version 9.0 works.
Mabe problem in plugin hooks...

I tried to disable them step by step, but...

Last edited by Abu2; 23 Dec 2012 at 01:42.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 01:38

Could you try going to the Plugin Manager, find the section for "Private Message Quote Formatting", and disable those plugins one at a time, to see if you can figure out if one of them is causing the problem?
Old 23 Dec 2012, 01:53

Originally Posted by Abu2 View Post
I tried to disable them step by step, but...
So you're saying you already disabled the individual plugins (not products) one by one and it didn't help? That's strange, I was pretty sure it had to be one of the plugins. I'm not sure what else it could be.
Old 24 Dec 2012, 16:47

Installed the new version. I think email problem fixed, but the quote[datestr] isn't doing anything - I sent several new messages to my test account, replied from test account back to admin account, and no datestr or timestr on anything.

I first uninstalled old version, deleted customized template, and then imported new one.

Last edited by ctrlbrk; 24 Dec 2012 at 16:52.
Old 24 Dec 2012, 17:25

Did you enable the option in the admincp (under Private Messaging Options)? It's disabled by default, since I didn't want people to turn it on unless they were aware that the date/time stamps would hang around even after uninstalling.

When it's turned on, you should see the date/time stamp in the quote tag (in the quick reply box, for example, like:

[QUOTE=aaaab - Fri, 21 Dec 2012 03:55:18 +0100]test[/QUOTE]

If you're not seeing that then you won't see the date str in the message.

On another subject: I realize that you customized your template for the previous version then I changed it - would it help if I posted the changes in the quote template that were made for the new version?
Old 24 Dec 2012, 18:11

Yup all good now, I didn't know there was an option.

Thx and Merry Christmas!
Old 26 Dec 2012, 04:54

I have 3.8.5 installed and when I added this, my server couldn't load the private.php page or the actual messages.

Not sure if it's that I haven't upgraded all the way, just thought I'd let you know. Thanks!